Eric S'ennui

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

54 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

For sure, and he has mentioned as much too. In that interview he just stated five different films that influenced him regarding different aspects about Dune and Bergman was about close ups. I don't think David Lean was so far away in that regard too when having Lawrence of Arabia and Kwai river footage roll in my mind when writing this. Bergman was just over the top in framing close ups with faces.

Lean is definitely the overwhelming "one" as an influence. Lawrence of Arabia is one of my all-time favorites too and I watched the Bridge on the River Kwai multiple times when I was a kid.

If you look close, VIllanuve even used some of the same locations in Jordan that Lean used on Lawrence.

Love Lawrence, Love River Kwai, but let's get some love for Doctor Zhivago as well......which, btw, is a favorite of Christopher Nolan.

• Like 3

Lord of the rings is really pure american cinema epica. Nothing strange It won best picture like Gladiator, Titanic, Braveheart, ben hur etc ..did

Villenueve cinema is really different from this kind of epica, his directing style and his narrative style is more influenced by european cinema and estearn cinema in some way (this Is why dune is more bigger in these countries than in America). 

Seems not really Academy stuff. It's like oldboy winning best picture (a very estearn movie in style and meaning) instead of Parasite (a movie seems made to be instantly remade with american actors on an american location) .

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:14 PM, Ozymandias said:

Just looked at Metacritic and the one red on there is some dumbass whining about 'white messiah' even though that part was a lot more nuanced than something like Avatar. 

Go figure.

I mean him being a white messiah is an intentional and thematic point. Don’t know what they’re complaining about (especially because Paul is not an action hero, or any sort of hero at all)

23 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This is definitely one of those "the trailer is more watchable than the film" instances 

This is just silly. Audience reception has been amazing. It’s okay you didn’t care for the movie, but your opinion isn’t fact. 

I get people who found Part 1 boring. I really liked it, but it definitely could have been better. Part 2 has a lot more energy and significantly better action. Seriously, I wish Denis could have a do-over on the action set pieces from Part 1 (minus the big sandworm-harvester scene, which I think is pretty much perfect). 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This is definitely one of those "the trailer is more watchable than the film" instances 

Maybe you just don't like movies? Because this movie never slows down. 

• Like 1

I can't stop listening to the soundtrack, notably 'A Time of Quiet...'. I'm thrilled Zimmer won his second Oscar for Part One, and would love to see him win again for Part Two.

This is a nice watch if you're a Zimmer fan:

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I can't stop listening to the soundtrack, notably 'A Time of Quiet...'. I'm thrilled Zimmer won his second Oscar for Part One, and would love to see him win again for Part Two.

This is a nice watch if you're a Zimmer fan:

Peace,

Mike

I really liked the score for Part 1, but he found a way to up his game for Part 2. 

• Like 2