Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

Just think where theatrical was less than a year ago, and what it is going to look like this summer on July 8th.  

You will have a theater lineup on that day that includes the following.....

Doctor Strange: In the Multi-Verse of Madness - $200m+ opener

Top Gun: Maverick - $100m+ opener

Jurassic World: Dominion - $200m+ opener

Lightyear - $100m+ opener

The Black Phone - well reviewed summer horror

Elivs - should be a smash

Minions: Rise of Gru - $80m+ opener

Thor: Love and Thunder - possible $200m+ opener

You've got Marvel and Tom Cruise action, and Dinosaurs and horror and cinematic music biopic, legacy kids film and more.  

It's going to be absolutely packed this summer.  

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Just think where theatrical was less than a year ago, and what it is going to look like this summer on July 8th.  

Oh YES, Yes, i agree on every level possible.

• Haha 1

Doctor Strange 2

Toronto Ontario

Thurs May 5 (taken May 4)

10 theatres

115 shows

Total Sold 11974 (+3839)

Total Remaining 17429

Total Seats 29403

No Sellouts

Percentage 40.72 (previous 32.7)

Will be posting Friday numbers later

Did not do a Jurassic count today because numbers pretty much unbudged from previous count

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

It's interesting that Top Gun: Maverick utterly exploded in Sacramento while it just did "really well" in Philly (katniss' markets seem to be somewhere in the middle of the Sacto-Philly range).

It's really unusual for Sacto to be such an outlier and I have some theories on why that might be*, but it just goes to show why getting more than one market (as well as more than one day) is important!

* While we haven't had an active military base locally for over twenty years now, back in the 80s we actually had three locally (Army Depot, Mather Air Force Base, McClellan Air Force Base) before they closed one by one ('95, '93, and '01 respectively) and those long term residual feelings might have impacted things locally.  Or at least left Sacramentans of a certain age nostalgic for feel-good stuff like this.

Alternatively, this was just One of Those Things that happens very rarely in tracking where one market is just wildly out of sync of everyone else. 

I always see TG as a semi-propaganda film as full blown propaganda film is almost impossible in USA politics. I like to see how TG perform up against the battle of lake changjin franchise in china. In view of this, we shall rename TG as TG: the battle at Lake Superior.

I believe at this point a slight endorsement from trump to TG would elevate the movie to a right-wing event.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I believe at this point a slight endorsement from trump to TG would elevate the movie to a right-wing event.

Might also cause it to crash and burn in some cities tho. :ph34r:

One of the things about TG is that it is a "safe" way to get the rah-rah jingoistic juices flowing and is relatively inoculated from The Culture Wars.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mulder said:

Interesting to see Top Gun: Maverick doing better in other areas. Did a quick look earlier in my area and it wasn't really selling that much. 

This is the same case near me. It's on-par with stuff like Bond, but it's way behind a lot of other major titles.

• Like 2

Interesting ....conflicting reports. On par with the latest Bond is not that great (yes, i know i was low on the movie, but the latest reports hyped me up)

Edited by Maggie

Just now, Maggie said:

Interesting ....conflicting reports. On Par with the latest Bond is not that great (yes, i know i was low on the movie, but the latest reports hyped me up)

To be fair, Bond's ramp-up kinda stalled here on the week-of. Was looking like it would open much higher for the longest time. Things can change if TG2 doesn't suffer the same fate.

Does it change anything that I'm in a pretty liberal/left-leaning city? Maybe it'll play great in Middle America.

46 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Doctor Strange: In the Multi-Verse of Madness - $200m+ opener

Top Gun: Maverick - $100m+ opener

Lightyear - $100m+ opener

The Black Phone - well reviewed summer horror

Elivs - should be a smash

Minions: Rise of Gru - $80m+ opener

Thor: Love and Thunder - possible $200m+ opener

You've got Marvel and Tom Cruise action, and Dinosaurs and horror and cinematic music biopic, legacy kids film and more.  

It's going to be absolutely packed this summer.  

The rest of July looks great too. Nope, Bullet Train, and Super Pets should all make bank and Where the Crawdads Sing has major "surprise hit" potential given what a phenomenon the book was. August through Labor Day weekend is looking to be a total dead zone but that probably means the summer titles should develop strong staying power.