Eric Prime

No Way Home Weekdays/Matrix & Sing Thread (12/20-23) | 37.1M Monday/32M Tues | King's Man 800K Previews

5 minutes ago, Shanks said:

One of these must be true, no?

a). I mean from what i have been hearing Omicron doesn't effect movie grosses - people are ready to see movies that can offer 'em what they want.

So, King's Men/Sing 2/Matrix 4 would have made same regardless.

This, pretty much. When the movies aren't very appealing, people won't go (although Sing 2 is likely seeing a rebound starting Christmas Day like the first did since its audience is more likely to show up during the time-off portion of the holidays so its numbers don't look bad at all).

Still can't believe the business No Way Home has done. Making over 3 times as the pandemics second highest grosser is no joke and Venom 2 and Shang chi didn't have Omicron concerns looming over them. One of the most impressive runs for a film this century and right up there with Black Panther for MCU imho. 

People forget, the last Matrix came out 18 years ago.  The teens to twenty somethings of today were either little kids or not even born when Revolutions hit theaters. 

Why are they going to pay and see this movie? Especially when it’s on at home, just like Suicide Squad was which they didn’t show up for. 

It was reliant on older audiences coming out. Mid 30’s and upwards that were the rabid fans who saw the originals in cinemas. Right now they’ve got Xmas to prepare for and try not to get infected for it to happen, and the option to watch the film at home - and they’re likely watching it in their droves. 

So its performance is not a reflection on the movie per se, and more reality. The kids will choose Spider-Man, families will choose Spidey or Sing, and the grown adults if they come out will go see something they can’t watch at home for free. 

Fitting really that WB’s last HBO Max day and date is weak at the box office. Crowns that disastrous decision to put the whole 2021 slate on there perfectly. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4

I won't disagree with the notion that it felt like WB gave up on Matrix 4 a while ago, at least once it became clear that Spidey was gonna pulverize it completely with the potential 2000s nostalgia demo. They pushed In the Heights more aggressively as a "see it on the big screen" experience back when it came out than they did this.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Depending on frontloadedness, Matrix Resurrections is likely making less than half of what Revolutions did no inflation required. Wild stuff.

COVID + day and date + change of habits + NWH = not really a good way to read this number. It is awful for all 3 movies and we know why.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Shanks said:

One of these must be true, no?

a). I mean from what i have been hearing Omicron doesn't effect movie grosses - people are ready to see movies that can offer 'em what they want.

So, King's Men/Sing 2/Matrix 4 would have made same regardless.

b). Omicron is really affecting Box-Office. Spidey would have gross 10-15% more than it has. King's Men/Sing 2/Matrix 4 would have grossed in double digit at least, it's Christmas.

c). Omicron doesn't exist only for Spidey Fans cuz we are suicidal type. For other movie fans, it exist.

d). All of above....

It’s combination of the three. The 18-34 demographic which largely fueled NWH gross, are less concerned about the safety at the movies. I do think also that without Omicron things would have higher grosses, in particular Sing 2, as the family demographic is not 100% there. Also, yes there’s an interest factor as I do think The King’s Man prolly have done the same. 

I do think Matrix would’ve done much better if it didn’t face Spidey and had PLFs this week

• Like 2

The reason why No Way Home become successful is exactly what Matrix 4 miss and why it fail: The necessity of big screen experience and the meaning of the movie itself.

What No Way Home did before opening:

a) Hyped the news of breaking up between Sony & Marvel in summer of 2019, letting audience realize how hard and precious it is to keep Spider Man being in MCU before making up.

b) How enormous and massive the movie is going to be with the concept of multiverse. This kind of scale should belong to theaters.

c) Bring something or some characters you always miss back by showing it in cinemas instead of trailers or streaming.

What Matrix 4 did before debuting:

a) Just telling you we were going to do a sequel while John Wick franchise became hits, making everything feel like the studio want to milk audience.

b) Can't explain why this movie deserve to be seen in theaters. Great visual effects & fighting scenes? The trilogy had something the sequel could hardly top or achieve. Amazing concept or storytelling? But the cast and director said it would be a personal & love story...Since WB announced day-and-date release model, everything about this movie feels unattractive.

c) Warner Bros. marketing department:

"Hey look, this is Neo, the One. Worth to go cinema for nostalgia, right?"

"Wait, what, you don't believe it's Neo? Why are you saying that? That's him. The one played by Keanu Reeves. At least you know Keanu, right?"

"What did you say? John Wick?"

"It's not Mr. Wick. I mean...Not that hairy, right?"

"And you want to stay at home by seeing John Wick franchise in xmas? Come on, you have a Matrix sequel!"

"You won't go cinema until John Wick 4? You mean you think JW4 is bigger than Matrix 4?"

"I can't believe these shit. How fucking crazy you are!"

• Haha 6

21 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

People forget, the last Matrix came out 18 years ago.  The teens to twenty somethings of today were either little kids or not even born when Revolutions hit theaters. 

It doesn't matter. Fast and Furious, Harry Potter, Toy Story, Shrek, and SpiderMan are roughly the same age. 

Those films are set in and were made in an era that's more recognisable to the chrildren. They're comfortable with the storytelling, the action, the comedy and the CGI of movies from 20 years ago (kids still watch Mean Girls in 2021). Honestly this new Matrix should've been PG13.

The issue is with older movies where the first installment is older then their parents. Stuff like Ghostbusters, Terminator, and Alien. I cant get my daughter to watch The Breakfast Club at all.

Nostalgia can be tough to nail, there's no question about that.

For every The Force Awakens or No Way Home or Jurassic World or live-action Renaissance era Disney remakes, there's an Independence Day: Resurgence or those last couple of Terminator sequels that touted they were The Real T3.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

How much is Disney leaving at the table by releasing Encanto onto Disney Plus tomorrow? 

Probably not too much since it's still playing in 2,800+ theaters, albeit mainly during the day only at most theaters. The big drop yesterday is definitely on the arrival of another major animated movie as the main family attraction for the Christmas break.

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

How much is Disney leaving at the table by releasing Encanto onto Disney Plus tomorrow? 

How much are they gaining with signatures on Disney+ by putting it there tomorrow tho?

41 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

The King's Man did 2.2 with 800k previews? Holy **** lol

That result does make WB feel better about their day and date decision b/c if you have sh&t product against Spider Man, even if it's full theatrical, you're getting Mortal Engines numbers...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1