The Wild Eric

No Way Home Weekdays/Matrix & Sing Thread (12/20-23) | 37.1M Monday/32M Tues | King's Man 800K Previews

8 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

And Sisters with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler also counterprogrammed against Star Wars and made a respectable $87 Million total at the box office. Daddy’s Home and Joy both released the next week and were even bigger hits.

Joy made $56m.

Edited by Noctis
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been eyeballing theaters in my state this morning and afternoon, and both Sing 2 and Matrix looks like they’re doing well, in particular the former. Hopefully both will do double digits. 

I do wonder could Sing 2 in theory open big enough for the six day to get to 200m. Love them or hate them (I really despise them), Illumination is one of the biggest brand names in animation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john2000 said:

So just for fun

Sony Spider-Man crossed $700M WW yesterday with a cume that stands at $751.3M. Many analysts believe a $1 billion is feasible for the latest MCU title even without China in the mix,

guess who or what site is the bright one .....

3 hours ago, AdrianL said:

Feasible? Seriously? They should've said feasible it'll hit a billion Christmas day...

Yep most ridiculous thing ever. Also, it didn't pass 700M, it passed 750M. They should have mentioned that milestone cause obviously 751.3M is closer to 750M than 700M. 

Re: My "impact of Québec re-opening on NWH late legs" post in more details

----

Here are the Québec total gross for the following movies, in $CAD 

Infinity War: ~$CAD 8.6M

Endgame: ~$CAD 11.8M

Dune: $CAD 5.4M !!!!! Infinity War grossed $678M in NA so if the Quebec gross for these 2 movies was representative proportionally to the whole of North America, Dune would have grossed $475M in total LMAO. Epic performance here.

(source : https://www.cinoche.com/films/box-office)

So anyway, Spider-Man: No Way Home opened to $CAD 2.5M here (source for NWH: https://www.journaldequebec.com/2021/12/20/cinemas-freines-dans-leur-elan) and probably higher since those are estimates and the actuals were higher everywhere (still waiting on those as of today... it's quite slow) and immediately on the Monday after OW all theaters were closed. There is demand remaining here that hasn't been met yet.

It opened to a number that's slightly below Infinity War, so it's safe to assume that, considering the holiday legs, this movie would have roughly matched Infinity War's total of $8.6M if theaters weren't closed. So there is still about $CAD 5M left in demand, at least, that hasn't been met. And that's only in 1 Province that's not even the most populous in the country.

Is everyone going to march back in theaters when they re-open? I doubt that. But surely a lot of people will go, as the movie can't be watched anywhere else short of driving to another Province (for reference, the drive to Ontario from my city is 4 hours long... New Brunswick is like 8 hours) Most people live in Montréal and that's about a 2 hours drive to the Ontario border. Still quite a long time to drive just to see a movie, so it's safe to assume most people won't do that.

Hard to tell exactly how much it will gross when theaters re-open but I expect at least something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just got out of Matrix. Gonna use and abuse my Admin powers for a hot second to say Fuck Warner Bros!!! for dumping this movie!!! It’s sooo good!!! I could see why some people might not dig it, but hot damn was I jiving with it. Looks great. Good story. Adult conversations. ROMANCE!! Fun acting from all involved. Argh. Damn you, WB

FreshMammothBee-size_restricted.gif

• Like 14

Sing and Matrix so far are within 3000 tickets of each other in Canada so far today (with Matrix being higher). That being said, Matrix’s ATP is way higher than Sing’s so it will easily win the day.

Given numbers at my local, 15M for Sing today wouldn’t surprise me at all.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Re: My "impact of Québec re-opening on NWH late legs" post in more details

----

Here are the Québec total gross for the following movies, in $CAD 

Infinity War: ~$CAD 8.6M

Endgame: ~$CAD 11.8M

Dune: $CAD 5.4M !!!!! Infinity War grossed $678M in NA so if the Quebec gross for these 2 movies was representative proportionally to the whole of North America, Dune would have grossed $475M in total LMAO. Epic performance here.

(source : https://www.cinoche.com/films/box-office)

So anyway, Spider-Man: No Way Home opened to $CAD 2.5M here (source for NWH: https://www.journaldequebec.com/2021/12/20/cinemas-freines-dans-leur-elan) and probably higher since those are estimates and the actuals were higher everywhere (still waiting on those as of today... it's quite slow) and immediately on the Monday after OW all theaters were closed. There is demand remaining here that hasn't been met yet.

It opened to a number that's slightly below Infinity War, so it's safe to assume that, considering the holiday legs, this movie would have roughly matched Infinity War's total of $8.6M if theaters weren't closed. So there is still about $CAD 5M left in demand, at least, that hasn't been met. And that's only in 1 Province that's not even the most populous in the country.

Is everyone going to march back in theaters when they re-open? I doubt that. But surely a lot of people will go, as the movie can't be watched anywhere else short of driving to another Province (for reference, the drive to Ontario from my city is 4 hours long... New Brunswick is like 8 hours) Most people live in Montréal and that's about a 2 hours drive to the Ontario border. Still quite a long time to drive just to see a movie, so it's safe to assume most people won't do that.

Hard to tell exactly how much it will gross when theaters re-open but I expect at least something.

Dune was a monster in Canada pretty much in general. 

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Sing and Matrix so far are within 3000 tickets of each other in Canada so far today (with Matrix being higher). That being said, Matrix’s ATP is way higher than Sing’s so it will easily win the day.

Given numbers at my local, 15M for Sing today wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Hopefully NWH does as much as both of them combined.

11 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

Hopefully NWH does as much as both of them combined.

Well NWH has currently tripled Sing so far locally (don’t take that as a generalized statement that it’s gonna do 45M) but basically it’s numbers are good.

• Like 1