EmpireCity

New Year Weekend Thread (31 Dec - 2 Jan)

8 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

There a reason why?

Omicron within India I would imagine, especially this close to release. Makes sense if it's pulled OS to not release it here as well.

Article I just read said its the 2nd film there to be pulled with one named Jersey pulled from its date of yesterday. 

Edited by narniadis

Just now, RiddlerXXR said:

Does it though? Why pull it from markets with no restrictions when you're less than a week from release? 

It would appear they want it to release "worldwide" at the same time? Not sure otherwise, but its not the first date change for the film (from my limited reading.) 

Sucks since it was one of the small bright spots on the January calendar here in the US.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I find it amusing that Matrix dailies has fallen below Kingsman.

Most of the holdovers grow on New year eve from Christmas eve, except Encanto and Matrix 4, NWH (the gross is too big to post week-to-week gain) , now you know the power of streaming. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

so you think families would have cancelled Disney+ if they couldn’t watch it on the service four weeks after it came out? 

I canceled D+ for lack of content...and I wasn't a cheap subscriber (ala the 3 year one) - I was paying full freight.

It was worth one year, and now waiting til content builds enough to justify another year at some point...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

It would appear they want it to release "worldwide" at the same time? Not sure otherwise, but its not the first date change for the film (from my limited reading.) 

Sucks since it was one of the small bright spots on the January calendar here in the US.

There are multiple reasons for the postponement. Some states in India already announced that theatres would be operating at only 50% capacity in next few weeks. Delhi even closed down the theatres completely few days ago.  In coming days, few more states are expected to impose restrictions on movie theatres occupancy.

Another major reason is that RRR is mainly a Telugu movie (not a Bollywood movie) and it's biggest market in India comes from 2 Southern States where Telugu is the main language. These 2 states alone are likely to contribute almost 50-60% of the overall Indian market for RRR.  In one of these states, the state government is sadly playing politics and is having a fight against the film industry because the head of the state is an ego-maniac. The state government passed an order recently that brought down the ticket rates through out the state. In some of the movie theatres, the ticket rates have been reduced by almost 60-80%. The state government also said that they will not grant any permission for more than 4 shows. They recently seized some movie theatres which were not following these new restrictions imposed by government. Some of the movie theatres have said that it is not sustainable for them to operate at such low ticket prices.  For Telugu movies, usually first day and first weekend is huge part of business and that's where distributors recover most of their money by having more than 4 shows and hiked prices on first weekend. The movie was sold at high rates to distributors in this state assuming that there will be more than 4 shows and hiked prices atleast for first 1-2 weeks. But because of this latest move from the government, even if the movie gets extremely good WOM, the distributors will never be able to recover the money they invested due to low ticket prices. The distributors already approached the RRR production house to renegotiate the prices due to this recent move from government but it's going to be hard. RRR crew is probably hoping that this state government will revert back these changes in next few months but I am not too optimistic because the head of the state is a freaking corrupted moron

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Landon1195 said:

Both Jurassic World and Matrix Ressurections are fourth entries in a franchise with an acclaimed first movie with two disappointing sequels. Why do you think one was a massive hit and one was a massive flop.

Matrix Reloaded was a huge hit. 

1 minute ago, poweranimals said:

It was only popular because of the first one.

Okay so by that definition, No Way Home is only popular because of the past Spider-Man movies. Or any sequel to their respective predecessor.

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nothing has been dumber in the streaming wars than Paramount stumbling onto the biggest show on television, a Game of Thrones level mega-hit, and not being able to release it on its own streamer.

I looked it up, thinking that can't be right. The first three seasons of Yellowstone are on Peacock?! The current season won't be on Paramount+ until after the finale? That's crazy, but explains why they're doing two spin-offs (besides the huge ratings).

Brutal drop for Matrix Resurrections: fanboy rush, bad WOM and HBO Max combined for a real box office death spiral.

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

Okay so by that definition, No Way Home is only popular because of the past Spider-Man movies. Or any sequel to their respective predecessor.

Not really, no. There is a difference between sequels that people like and sequels people dislike.

4 hours ago, upriser7 said:

-snip-

Yeah this pretty much sums up.

But I wholeheartedly support what that "corrupt moron" is doing. Ticket prices in India are highly very high relative to rest of world and all that money is basically going to these stars.

Fuck these stars. I want every state in India to cap tickets at ₹100.