The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (1/21-23) | Asgard 2 says 3.5 Fri for Scream, 3.4 Spider-Man

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

Could be a close race between these three for domestic finals.

WSS will finish the highest since it still has an Oscar bump coming up and it's unlikely to land on D+ until after the ceremony so they can trumpet however many nominations/wins it receives.

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Seeing the nice legs on The King's Man gets me even more pissed that Disney didn't pull their head out of their ass with it.  Should have been released on Jan. 21st or 28th and it would be doing a lot better.  Same thing goes for American Underdog, especially with how Redeeming Love showed the juice of faith based audience in mid-late January.  

The biggest mistake of the re-opening is that all the studios shoved 10 films into a 3 week window and then left only 2 wide releases for January.  If Journal for Jordan is a MLK release, put The King's Man on the 28th, do Nightmare Alley limited and then expand through January, have American Underdog go on Jan. 21st and all of those films would have done way more and made it better for theaters as well.  

The King's Man being released in such a crowded space was likely intentional on Disney's part. There was little to no hype or desire for any more Kingsman after the second movie poisoned the well. The Mouse likely foresaw this and decided to quietly dump it, thus getting rid of a tainted brand that serves no purpose within his glorious empire.

At least Vaughn himself has the movie rights, so he can take it elsewhere after this. Whether or not anyone would want to continue the existing series remains to be seen. Wouldn't be too surprising to see it take the low budget TV/streaming reboot route that Shadowhunters and His Dark Materials took after their respective feature film attempts failed, with the Kingsman name completely scrubbed off by the time the final product is in the can. Would be like the original comic again which was titled just The Secret Service.

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Could be a close race between these three for domestic finals.

It's still strange to me seeing movies like Matrix (come on it's Matrix), Kingsman (good humor, lot action, fun) and Spielberg movie (yeah, THAT Spielberg) scrapping up so little in boxoffice. Normally I would see 1 before $35m in chart (at least) and come on that is just so sad 😪

• Like 1

I think if King's Man opened now or next weekend the result may have been worse... like $11m opening and less than $30m total. I think the lack of anything new is helping it rn. 

Jackass should've opened next weekend but I guess that's too close for Paramount with Scream. 

6 hours ago, AdrianL said:

I think if King's Man opened now or next weekend the result may have been worse... like $11m opening and less than $30m total. I think the lack of anything new is helping it rn. 

Jackass should've opened next weekend but I guess that's too close for Paramount with Scream. 

Why would no competition make it worse? 😂

15 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

2nd biggest drama behind Gucci

Speaking of, has anyone - Gitesh, Numbers, Boxoffice Pro - posted OS and WW numbers? I wonder if it passed 150M WW (was at 144M last week). BOM is completely useless cause they messed up the numbers and can't bother to catch up. 

Edited by Valonqar

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Speaking of, has anyone - Gitesh, Numbers, Boxoffice Pro - posted OS and WW numbers? I wonder if it passed 150M WW (was at 144M last week). BOM is completely useless cause they messed up the numbers and can't bother to catch up. 

It did hit $150m :) 

• Like 1