Box Office Hit

Challengers | April 26, 2024 | MGM | Zendaya | Luca Guadagnino to Direct

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Does anyone know what date in September? Checked BOM calendar and it would play nicely as a counter-programing to all the horror movies and Equalizer 3. Nothing for ladies that month so it should be well positioned to corner that market. 

September 15 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Im not disputing that she’s the top reason people are going to see this. Just that the type of film it is hasn’t performed well in theaters lately. I mean No Hard Feelings is only tracking for an opening in the teens despite having a likable star like Jlaw. It’s really tough to sell nowadays. I don’t think a September release is going to do significantly better. At best, maybe Don’t Worry Darling numbers. 

You think Jlaw is likable? shock-shocked.gif

I always though public perception is that she’s in the same class of likability as Gwenyth Paltrow

4 minutes ago, joselowe said:

You think Jlaw is likable? shock-shocked.gif

I always though public perception is that she’s in the same class of likability as Gwenyth Paltrow

I don’t think you are wrong. Clearly Zendaya is the hottest leading actress of her generation.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, joselowe said:

You think Jlaw is likable? 

JLaw is on the Anne Hathaway level. Clearly likeable and for some reason has gone through weird hate online.

• Like 1

Just now, ChipDerby said:

JLaw is on the Anne Hathaway level. Clearly likeable and for some reason has gone through weird hate online.

Misogyny isn’t kind to actresses after they are over 30. Heartbreaking and awful, but it’s the truth. Even more so when they are as popular as Lawrence or Hathaway once were.

Ticket in Paradise made $68m last year. Is it too much to ask from Challenges? The trailer style and star power appeal to the crowd that skew a lot younger but I got a feeling that attention are all on just when this coming to streaming. I am just afraid people forget they can actually watch a romantic drama on big screen.

20 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

this should be a decent test for Zendaya's star power. These are the kind of movies which struggle theatrically in this post-covid environment. If this opens to atleast $20M domestically, then it would mostly be down to Zendaya

A $20 million opening would make Challengers practically the Endgame of tennis movies; it's been a weak genre at the box office for a very long time. The biggest hit (adjusted) in the genre is a Hitchcock thriller that's only partly set in the tennis world:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tennis_films

The social media activity seems promising so far, let's see how it goes. Tennis has a rep as a staid, snobby sport and maybe that repels the typical "sports movie" audience. Challengers seems a bit racy for a sports movie and youthful for the tennis audience, but it's not like the latter has been showing up to theaters anyway... Curious how this all turns out.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

September 15 

Good date. Only some horror opening that week. I see that My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 is a week before but that franchise is a ligthweight now, no way it blows up like the first movie ever again. and the week after Exp4ndables so no direct competition.

Edited by Valonqar

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wtf. This movie is written by the potion seller guy. Who is also married to Celine Song, director of Past Lives. 

I wonder how he feels about being played by young Silvio Dante for the movie

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Good date. Only some horror opening that week. I see that My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 is a week before but that franchise is a ligthweight now, no way it blows up like the first movie ever again. and the week after Exp4ndables so no direct competition.

It’s opening against A Haunting in Venice, another Agatha Christie adaptation by Kenneth Branagh.  The last one did 45m dom so not huge competition. The biggest film that month will probably be The Nun 2.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Ticket in Paradise made $68m last year. Is it too much to ask from Challenges? The trailer style and star power appeal to the crowd that skew a lot younger but I got a feeling that attention are all on just when this coming to streaming. I am just afraid people forget they can actually watch a romantic drama on big screen.

I'm thinking Don't Worry Darling numbers