Eric is Quiet

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

2 minutes ago, Eric Drake said:

Actually why does The-Numbers not include 20th Century grosses lumped in with Disney's? I understand Searchlight being listed separately, since that's still its own unique beast that releases their own movies, but I don't think that's the case for 20th Century

Because they wanted to make me look stupid, that's why. :rant: j1aUlyv.gif

(probably historical chart reasons)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Man, you're fast.  Check my edits I made to my post (I made the first literally one minute after posting). :lol: 

Yeah I saw that just after posting lol must have been very close, at least us both a chance to shit on how new BOM and The-Numbers do things. 

• Like 1

My showing of Uncharted was 95% sold out and the next showing looks to be the sold out. 

As for the movie, it took me a bit to get used to Tom Holland as Drake but I had fun with it once I got used to it. Hope it does well. I want a sequel.

Hemsworth is toxic as a draw. Has he ever appeared in a successful non-Thor film post 2011? Ghostbusters to some extent but it still lost a lot of money and he wasn't the selling point. RDJ also is a criminal flopper. Besides his Chef cameo, Judge and Doolittle were his only live action non-MCU films since Tropic Thunder/Iron Man in 08. MIB would always fail without Will Smith and you could even argue Doolittle would be a flop since the Eddie Murphy one is more well-known

Uncharted at least had Wahlberg helping Holland. Wahlberg is an actual star who hits more than he misses, generally. Especially when paired with another appealing co-star like Will Ferrell

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Hemsworth is toxic as a draw. Has he ever appeared in a successful non-Thor film post 2011? Ghostbusters to some extent but it still lost a lot of money and he wasn't the selling point. RDJ also is a criminal flopper. Besides his Chef cameo, Judge and Doolittle were his only live action non-MCU films since Tropic Thunder/Iron Man in 08. MIB would always fail without Will Smith and you could even argue Doolittle would be a flop since the Eddie Murphy one is more well-known

Uncharted at least had Wahlberg helping Holland. Wahlberg is an actual star who hits more than he misses, generally. Especially when paired with another appealing co-star like Will Ferrell

Wahlberg is a mixed bag he’s had more misses than hits recently. But uncharted fits within his wheelhouse.

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

Wahlberg is a mixed bag he’s had more misses than hits recently. But uncharted fits within his wheelhouse.

Well, everyone except Leo DiCaprio and I guess Kevin Hart recently have more misses but overall Wahlberg has had an impressive longevity as an actor for decades with numerous genuine hits

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

MIB should’ve been a success for Hemsworth. Coming right off Endgame, paired with the same actress everyone loved him with in Ragnarok, familiar IP (albeit without Will), plays to his comic strengths. Uncharted shows even a critical panning shouldn’t hurt too much if there’s enough star power to overcome it 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

MIB should’ve been a success for Hemsworth. Coming right off Endgame, paired with the same actress everyone loved him with in Ragnarok, familiar IP (albeit without Will), plays to his comic strengths. Uncharted shows even a critical panning shouldn’t hurt too much if there’s enough star power to overcome it 

Hemsworth has been a bit unlucky and I also think either he or his agent has trouble picking good scripts.

Edited by babz06

1 hour ago, TiagoRodrigues said:

Can Uncharted do 30M just from Friday and Saturday? Wouldn't that surpass even the biggest predictions from today? That was the initial prediction for the 4 day weekend. If we get that from the first 2 days alone it would be wild! 

If Canada is any indication, yes. Not sure if the US is playing out the same way though. Would need @charlie Jatinder or @EmpireCity for that.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

I am using in year, if it was released in 2021 until end of a films run Sony probably would win with Spider-Man 2022 numbers. 

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-17-02-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-17-24-PM.pn

is less than than 

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-17-47-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-18-11-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-02-20-at-12-18-30-PM.pn

I miss the old BOM in which you could sort by parent company. 

I didn't roll 2021's from the lesser groups up...but then, did Disney really count those Fox movies, b/c they pretty much dumped every one - Free Guy succeeded despite Disney, not b/c of it...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I didn't roll 2021's from the lesser groups up...but then, did Disney really count those Fox movies, b/c they pretty much dumped every one - Free Guy succeeded despite Disney, not b/c of it...

Yes, all of the Disney movies count as Disney. It doesn’t matter what your opinion on their distribution of them was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

MIB was 4th film (and spin-off without most famous actor) in a declining franchise. The actress he was paired with is not a household name. It was during Secret Life of Pets' 2nd weekend, Aladdin was still kicking and Endgame was still in top 10. Dark Phoenix and Godzilla were also out. The following week Toy Story opened to over 120m. 

Uncharted was a fresh "new" franchise with Holland paired with a better star and released in weaker environment. 

1 minute ago, Derby Legion said:

55+ seems pretty possible. I guess this will be 2nd place in March calendar gross then.

Yeah I don’t see it dropping off that much. I think it can coexist with Batman. I feel like Dog could have good legs as well.