Eric Furiosa

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

I keep hearing Uncharted is big IP and all that, but Uncharted is not big at all compared to Other Franchise that had movies made...

It doesn't even come close to Pokemon (400M),  Resident Evil (123M), Sonic(145M), Assasin Creed (155M) Franchises.

Monter Hunter (80M) & Tomb Raider (85M) are close but still have sold twice the amount of Uncharted (44M), yet people say It's a big IP that is helping or will help its box office. 

Warcraft Franchise is altogether different Beast, only Pokemon Franchise in above mentioned games has value more than its 11 billion worth. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I guess it’s decent for Uncharted but even something like Prince of Persia made 30 m over three days. I’d bet if this movie looked better it would be doing better 

Are you forgetting about the world and the situation we are living in currently?

Whole new ball game

• Like 1

Truth is, brand recognition is important but is not the only thing to factor in for game adaptations.

Take Assassin's Creed and Rampage for example. On one hand, you have one of the most profitable gaming IPs of the world from one of the world's biggest companies, selling dozens of millions copies and releasing games pretty much yearly. On the other hand, you have an adaptation of an arcade of the 80's, from an bankrupt company and that up to that point haven't got a new game since the Gamecube. Can you tell what of these two adaptations will bomb and what will become a modest hit?

3 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Truth is, brand recognition is important but is not the only thing to factor in for game adaptations.

Take Assassin's Creed and Rampage for example. On one hand, you have one of the most profitable gaming IPs of the world from one of the world's biggest companies, selling dozens of millions copies and releasing games pretty much yearly. On the other hand, you have an adaptation of an arcade of the 80's, from an bankrupt company and that up to that point haven't got a new game since the Gamecube. Can you tell what of these two adaptations will bomb and what will become a modest hit?

Most people viewed Rampage as another Rock action movie. I didn't even know until a week ago that it had been based on a video game.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, anti-Pedantic said:

I keep hearing Uncharted is big IP and all that, but Uncharted is not big at all compared to Other Franchise that had movies made...

It doesn't even come close to Pokemon (400M),  Resident Evil (123M), Sonic(145M), Assasin Creed (155M) Franchises.

Monter Hunter (80M) & Tomb Raider (85M) are close but still have sold twice the amount of Uncharted (44M), yet people say It's a big IP that is helping or will help its box office. 

It's a relatively new big gaming IP, of course it doesnt compare to 20+ year franchises with two dozen games each. Everyone who bought a Resident Evil video game in the 90s isn't automatically interested to watch a RE movie in 2020. Uncharted ofc doesn't compare to the real huge ones like Mario, Pokemon or GTA but it compares just fine to most of the rest. I think no single RE or Assassin's Creed game has sold over 15m copies and the biggest Tomb Raider game is at 14.5 mil. Uncharted 4 sold over 16 mil. on PS4 alone.

I think the fandom effect in most video game cases that arent Pokemon big or Warcraft in China big is kind of irrelevant when we are talking 100m+ budget movies. The movie being heavily promoted as a blockbuster with lots of money shots starring Spiderman matters way more than how many Naughty Dog die hard fans show up.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Most people viewed Rampage as another Rock action movie. I didn't even know until a week ago that it had been based on a video game.

Bro the PS1 Rampage game was badass.

And I love how in the movie they added a Rampage arcade machine in the Rampage movie a la the Double Dragon movie. Those kinds of weird details always crack me up.

• Like 2

Not surprised about Uncharted. The sales were fine around here. While it was sold on Holland's name, Wahlberg has a decent track record and it was first big blockbuster since No Way Home. Morbius moving cleared the path. 

I remember when someone here side-eye emoji-reacted to a comment about Channing Tatum's draw power but he had a good track record as well for a bit and dog movies have potential. If MGM actually promoted it, would have played to middle America. The ending is strong which will help WOM but if the movie itself wasn't so weird (there's a near 3some scene and weird political detours) overall, it would have gotten A+ cinemascore

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

A nice recovery for the box office, though hopefully Uncharted makes all the money it needs to in Ukraine within the next 12 hours or so.

It opened there last week with one of the biggest OWs of all time, so it kind of has :jeb!:

• Like 1