Eric Loves Rey

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

1 hour ago, Eric Drake said:

I feel Uncharted's a film that is totally coasting off Spider-Mania and Holland being the biggest thing ever at the moment. If this came out in 2023 or even in the summer or fall, it would have been a total dud.

Dont matter it’s sweep time baby. PlayStation Productions about to take over

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

I feel like Sonic is still more well known just on history. It's not just about those who buy the games but general brand awareness. But I don't really have any way to quantify that.

Sonic has had numerous animated shows over the last 3 decades. None of them were a worldwide sensation like the Pokemon anime was at one point but they were always there. There was a Sonic show around when I was a kid and there still is a crappy CGI one on rotation at kid channels that my 4 year old nephew watches today. Last time Sonic was primarily famous as a video game character was the mid90s.

Like everyone said Uncharted is a huge thing in video games for over a decade but means absolutely nothing to non-gamers. The Holland NWH-home afterglow played a big part in this getting enough attention to open above expectations. If this had come out before NWH with that reception it would have performed closer to Assassin's Creed, another huge video game IP of the last decade that means nothing to casuals.

• Like 1

As I posted last weekend,

With a blockbuster budget...

If Uncharted goes $100M DOM total, it's not a flop.  

If Uncharted goes $150M DOM total, it's good result.

If Uncharted goes $200M DOM total, it's a great result.

Right now, it's looking good to surpass that 1st level - who knows, maybe we get close to that 2nd level.

And as someone mentioned about temp going up and viral numbers going down and movies seeming like a good idea.  My spouse took the 1st 2 movies of the year, but thanks to Atom and Cinemark Movie Plus, I think I'll be at Uncharted Tuesday and then The Adam Project on Mar 9 (who says no to free tickets to a premiere with a Q&A, even if it opens digitally on Mar 11 - worst that happens is I get too busy to go - hurray for a subscriber benny)...I also have a BOGO ticket for the end of Feb for being a subscriber, so I may even see something else, but not sure yet - I might just be too darn busy...and then there's Batman...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

Sonic 

Detecive Pikachu

Rampage

Prince of Persia did 30m in 3 day OW

Sonic and Pikachu are IPs from decades ago that far surpass videogames, specially anything Pokémon related with one of the most known animes ever plus the demographics that would watch them are also more varied. They aren't kids movies but they went in flocks as far as I know.

Uncharted is an IP that started in 2007 and had 4 main games with the last one released 6 years ago already.

I did forget Prince of Persia though. So there's that. 

31 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

As I posted last weekend,

With a blockbuster budget...

If Uncharted goes $100M DOM total, it's not a flop.  

If Uncharted goes $150M DOM total, it's good result.

If Uncharted goes $200M DOM total, it's a great result.

A videogame adaptation doing over 200M domestic? Has that ever happened?

In 1998, Leonardo di Caprio as a main Lead had two Movies on 1st and 2nd Position of Weekend Chart. His "Man in Iron Mask" had opened 2nd behind Titanic's which was 1st. Uncharted will be 1st without doubt but if NWH manages to get to 2nd Position... maybe, History will kind of repeat itself.

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TiagoRodrigues said:

A videogame adaptation doing over 200M domestic? Has that ever happened?

That's why it would be great - you can also use the words "awesome, outstanding, unprecedented, etc"...I didn't say likely...

PS - I should say that all my numbers were for "non supers" blockbusters - we had none of those hit $200M DOM last year, so it's this year's goal to see at least one hit that "this is spectacular" level...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's why it would be great - you can also use the words "awesome, outstanding, unprecedented, etc"...I didn't say likely...

PS - I should say that all my numbers were for "non supers" blockbusters - we had none of those hit $200M DOM last year, so it's this year's goal to see at least one hit that "this is spectacular" level...

Friday numbers will give us an idea. But there's still some places without theatres working at 100%. COVID is still affecting things. Who knows...

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Hopefully Uncharted being a success will lead to us getting a God of War movie series and a Horizon Zero Dawn movie.

I doubt a GoW movie would be that great or do that well. Sure it has a great story and a main character but the biggest appeal of GoW is the fact that you can go absolutely berserk and beat the living shit out of people and gods. With a movie that appeal is taken away. 

I am all onboard a movie based on the Horizon games though. It has a great setting and a likeable lead and who wouldn’t want to see machine T-rex’s and Sabertooth’s duke it out onscreen. Its a marriage between Jurassic Park and Transformers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I got the trailer for this before Jackass Forever. 

Fuck. I could feel this coming. A month away and still no new trailer or poster or anything with the correct release date.

Makes March even more dead

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Shanks said:

In 1998, Leonardo di Caprio as a main Lead had two Movies on 1st and 2nd Position of Weekend Chart. His "Man in Iron Mask" had opened 2nd behind Titanic's which was 1st. Uncharted will be 1st without doubt but if NWH manages to get to 2nd Position... maybe, History will kind of repeat itself.

And then he bombed with The Beach but redeemed himself at the box office after that. Mostly by rotating between the same 3-5 A-list male filmmakers. 

Edited by Flopped

10 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I doubt a GoW movie would be that great or do that well. Sure it has a great story and a main character but the biggest appeal of GoW is the fact that you can go absolutely berserk and beat the living shit out of people and gods. With a movie that appeal is taken away. 

I am all onboard a movie based on the Horizon games though. It has a great setting and a likeable lead and who wouldn’t want to see machine T-rex’s and Sabertooth’s duke it out onscreen. Its a marriage between Jurassic Park and Transformers. 

God of War could be gigantic if you focus on the sheer scale of some of the creatures that Kratos fights across the story. That would look pretty incredible on an IMAX screen

• Like 6