Eric is Quiet

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

18 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Covid has to still be making an impact on theaters and should be considered when the Bat numbers start coming in.

I had this conversation at work. People need to stop blaming Covid for their problems. It's been 2 years and it's time to move on. It just didn't do well

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Um are we gonna pretend that's a good number and what are you hoping multiple will be?

250m domestic total would be pretty dogshit sorry. Damn I was hoping for a great OW. It's not horrific but it's not even decent either.

that would be 1m less than batman 1989 lmao

• Like 1

Even with deadline number . I think that puts it 115-120m range . Range here was 120-130m range. 

Don't really know why we all having a meltdowns here. Anything in the homecoming OW range is acceptable  enough for me. 

Was Expecting 35-37m Friday.

Think it can get to 35.

117m+ which is fine . Conservative with my sat and sun drop.

14 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Not even, but I thought it would easily clear 150m+ and maybe push for the March record. 

My mistake was thinking CBM were back after NWH. it’s clear now that was the exception not the rule

Nah, CBMs are totally back at this point. Just wait for may/July/Nov. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Homecoming had the MCU but it also came out 3 years after his previous solo reboot. You can argue "fatigue" played a part in it's muted OW

This on the other hand is coming 10 years after the last one

Come on..   the 10-year number's BS.   Batman been around for BvS/JL/ZSJL.   S:HM was always the comp here...  $117M that's the number Batman needs.   

All the $150M+ stuff never made sense.  'The Batman' a new Batman and thus S:HM was the comp...   $117M.  

• Like 2

I'm getting flashbacks to Batman Returns. For those who don't remember, Batman Returns "disappointed" because of the astronomical expectations from the previous solo Batman movie (Batman 89). They blamed it on the movie being too dark for kids. So they scrapped Burton's Batman 3 and greenlit Schumacher's happy meal approved Batman Forever which did make way more money than Batman Returns but wasn't really made for older Batman fans and also lead to Batman and Robin.

I honestly don't know what WB will do if The Batman doesn't hit 300m DOM or 750m WW but we might not get a Reeves trilogy.

I don’t know what you can extrapolate about the rest of the market from this. Scream did well, Dog was a hit, Uncharted outperformed even its highest estimates. NWH speaks for itself. There could not be better circumstances for this movie to debut

Or maybe Batman underperforming is entirely about the movie and the brand, and has nothing to do with the market. Interested to see how this thing plays out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I'm getting flashbacks to Batman Returns. For those who don't remember, Batman Returns "disappointed" because of the astronomical expectations from the previous solo Batman movie (Batman 89). They blamed it on the movie being too dark for kids. So they scrapped Burton's Batman 3 and greenlit Schumacher's happy meal approved Batman Forever which did make way more money than Batman Returns but wasn't really made for older Batman fans and also lead to Batman and Robin.

I honestly don't know what WB will do if The Batman doesn't hit 300m DOM or 750m WW but we might not get a Reeves trilogy.

They won't cancel anything, the movie is too well received for that and we're not in the 90's anymore, it's all about expansion, this new Batman will generate content for HBO Max and sequels that will probably grow on box office.

If they didn't cancel with Nolan after BB making a tepid 370M they won't do it now, especially because this one will be profitable, i doubt it will make less than 300M DOM, even with a 120M opening it needs very average legs to reach the milestone, and foreign numbers are very solid.

• Like 1

There is a bit of a Sins of the Father situation here since this is coming off of the controversial Snyder!Batman. Which would make any triple digit number all the more impressive. The sequel's going to be the one that's going to be making all the crazy numbers you were all expecting, so hopefully Warner gets that made.

$55M opening day should definitely lead to higher than $110M, more like $120-130M (especially since the length means a lot of people are more likely to check it out on Saturday or Sunday). This is an official reboot, don't see why it would be that frontloaded. Strong results either way, especially when the concept of the Batman reboot is hardly a novelty in 2022.

• Like 4

150M  predictions were already dead by this weekend. 🤷🏽‍♂️

The only trade predicting 150 was box office pro .

Deadline was 125m+ earlier in the week.

We had hoped maybe it would some how  hit 145-150 m in walk-ups but that took a hit with preview number.

Even with deadline number this can still get to 120m . 110m is a very conservative estimate.

Even the in the tracking thread  wasn't looking like 150m was really going to happening. Wide range 115-140 was cast.

Yeah they were contests and derbies and predictions were made . But in the actual tracking thread 150m was far from a guarantee.

17 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Thankfully Bats has an entire month to make as much money as possible with no competition, so time to show off those sexy (Catwoman) legs.

Superhero movies generally aren’t known for having strong legs. A notable exception is Wonder Woman, which had a much different audience demographic than most other CBMs. If the movie can’t at least open to $120 million, I’m not sure it’ll be able to pass $300 million domestically.