CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

This trend is becoming amusing... First Supes Returns. Twice this summer with Jurassic and then Terminator. Now, Alien.

Not really the same thing...Jurassic World simply doesn't reference TLW and JPIII, but they are still canon. Terminator would be a similar case to Star Trek 2009 or X-Men DOFP, they are still part of the continuity, and you actually need to watch the previous installments to fully understand the new one.

Superman Returns and the new Alien actively contradict the sequels that precede them.

Edited by The47th

I was reading an in-depth article about why the Halo movie never got made, and stumbled on to this gem of a quote in there which proves that nothing is permanent in Hollywood

Blomkamp’s relationship with Fox was particularly fraught. The way the deal was split between three major corporations and a handful of Hollywood producers caused several unusual imbalances in terms of power. “The way Fox dealt with me was not cool. Right from the beginning, when Mary [Parent, Universal’s former president of production turned Halo producer] hired me up until the end when it collapsed, they treated me like shit; they were just a crappy studio. I’ll never ever work with Fox ever again because of what happened to Halo – unless they pay me some ungodly amount of money and I have absolute fucking control.

http://deadline.com/2015/10/neill-blomkamp-aliens-sequel-set-aside-for-prometheus-2-1201598007/

It’s not entirely a shock, but plans for a Neill Blomkamp-directed film in the Alien franchise have been put on hold and possibly set aside entirely, and the District 9 director is moving on to other projects. Blomkamp took to Twitter minutes ago to relay the news.

• Like 1

Ridley Scott Says Next Alien Movie Already Written, Could Shoot in 2018
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/821829-ridley-scott-says-next-alien-movie-already-written-could-shoot-in-2018#/slide/1

“You’ve got to assume to a certain extent success and from that you’d better be ready,” Scott said. “You don’t want a two-year gap. So I’ll be ready to go again next year.” 

If there was any doubt that 79-year-old Scott is game to keep expanding this universe — the prequel saga is planned as a four-film cycle starting with Prometheus — he added, “If you really want a franchise, I can keep cranking it for another six. I’m not going to close it down again. No way.”