CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

Alien 3 basically killed any hopes of this continuing to be a big franchise by taking a big steamy dump on the aftermath of Aliens and just being a bad film itself. Everything afterwards has ranged from mediocre to bad so it's hard to fault audiences for not giving that much of a fuck.

The first 2 films were classics, the rest is horror schlock. Which still has its audience but it's certainly not as big.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

This is 90% of games nowadays. 

Idk, I haven't played a lot of survival horror recently but it's nowhere near as well paced as the recent Resident Evil games or some stuff released around the same time like Outlast. Those games were much shorter too. I think Isolation should've been like half the length it was.

Edited by lorddemaxus

5 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Oh definitely. There's a ceiling for these films. Prometheus is the sole outlier.

I don't expect that kind of gross for Romulus. I think it all depends on how much money was put into this film. If they went bonkers with the budget, it's just going to be harder for it to make a profit. These aren't really what I'd define as "blockbuster" movies, so giving them escalating budgets won't aid this franchise.

BUT, again, I'm going to see it because Fede has his hands in this project.

The fact that Romulus was meant to be a Hulu original tells me the budget was relatively modest. So hopefully, it shouldn't have a high break-even point.

Great teaser. The Alien franchise has a great track record in teasers and trailers and this is no exception.

The Alien franchise is very close to my heart (probably obvious with the avatar there...), and even though Prometheus and Covenant were disappointments - they were Ridley Scott disappointments, so at the very least they were both visually stunning, and had lofty pretentions (that the storytelling and script couldn't hold up). I still think the backburster sequence - while narratively nonsensical - is a brilliantly executed bit of gruesome chaos.

I really really hope that this doesn't suck. It's an excellent teaser and I have faith Fede can deliver a genuinely scary (and gory) Alien film. The cinematographry and set design looks great - fingers crossed he can bring the right tone and atmosphere to match. 

No idea how this will perform, but if Alien Covenant can get to $250m WW then I see no reason why a (hopefully) decent and well reviewed Alien Romulus can't cross $200m WW (Covenant had universally appalling legs everywhere). I'd like to think the Alien franchise still has a modicum of prestige - but I appreciate that I'm slightly biased!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, solaris said:

No idea how this will perform, but if Alien Covenant can get to $250m WW then I see no reason why a (hopefully) decent and well reviewed Alien Romulus can't cross $200m WW (Covenant had universally appalling legs everywhere).

But Covenant was technically well reviewed, at least its initial reviews were in mid 70s range.

1 hour ago, solaris said:

I'd like to think the Alien franchise still has a modicum of prestige - but I appreciate that I'm slightly biased!

Prestige was gone as soon as budget dropped to 60s-70s mln range and main cast became extremely cheap as well. At this point even Alien knock-off Life had more prestige because of all-star cast.

Edited by Firepower

If (and that's a major if) this movie crosses the $200M WW threshold, it'll be from overseas markets. That's where these movies are typically dominant.

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Idk, I haven't played a lot of survival horror recently but it's nowhere near as well paced as the recent Resident Evil games or some stuff released around the same time like Outlast. Those games were much shorter too. I think Isolation should've been like half the length it was.

Isolation def runs waaaaay too long but for an absolute Alien nerd like myself, it captures the atmosphere, visual aesthetic, etc. SO unbelievably perfectly well that I honestly played half of it as an immersive sim just checking out all the little details and such.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

Isolation def runs waaaaay too long but for an absolute Alien nerd like myself, it captures the atmosphere, visual aesthetic, etc. SO unbelievably perfectly well that I honestly played half of it as an immersive sim just checking out all the little details and such.

I think it's supposed to be immersive sim, it feels a lot like System Shock.

• Like 1

I get the criticism of Alien: Isolation being too long / weirdly paced, but I enjoyed the fuck out of pretty much every second of it and probably still would've even if it were twice as long. That was the ideal game for me. I love Alien. I love horror and feeling frightened, but horror movies rarely if ever scare me anymore. That game probably made me feel the most genuine terror and fright from any piece of media I've ever consumed.

• Like 6

On 3/20/2024 at 6:01 PM, Elessar said:

Alien Isolation, what a great game. Too bad we'll never see a sequel...

People were salivating for "pew pew bang bang", and they got the incredibly disappointing Colonial Marines. A good game that is still being played and considered the greatest Alien game to this day was abandoned, because SEGA was like "We expected it to do better."

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

Last time Alien anything met financial expectations was 1986. People don't go to see Alien movies and don't buy its games anymore, but they sure love actively discussing or analyzing them, it's almost like fake interest.

19 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Translation: it's gonna have plenty of CGI with some practical effects, as evident in the trailer. Claiming a movie will have practical effects and real sets became this cheap marketing ploy when it's supposed to be a standard for all movies and non-news like it was once, not some luxury for selected productions.

On 3/22/2024 at 10:56 AM, ThePhasmid said:

People were salivating for "pew pew bang bang", and they got the incredibly disappointing Colonial Marines. A good game that is still being played and considered the greatest Alien game to this day was abandoned, because SEGA was like "We expected it to do better."

I've heard 2023's Aliens: Dark Descent is really captures the Aliens vibe though it's a AA game not a big video game tentpole

12 hours ago, Firepower said:

I'm pretty sure this garbage has nothing to do with Cameron's or Ridley's film:

PLnisOV.png

clicked no that video and...yeah, that's not what was sold to me. I guess the gameplay mechanically "feels right" but that plot seems insane/inane.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1