CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

11 hours ago, Firepower said:

No need to, I don't follow twitter and paid shills with "best ever" hyperbolic reactions to everything.

You and me both. SOme of the comments are so over the top I can' but help suspect shills at work, and maybe some judicious packing of screenng audiences (ie, give free tickets to people you know are already favorable to the movie). 

When it comes to geek movies, always distrust early opinions. 

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

I'm assuming this one cost a lot less than the last 2.

No   doubt. I don't think they would have greenlit a Alien movie at the budget the last two had given their box office perfromance.

The reactions are only suspicious if you actually expects hard acclaim for the movies lol 

The reactions probably indicates it’ll have a decent RT %, which is what it needs. It’s fine, no reason to overthink them as if people are promising 88 on MC.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dudalb said:

Hard to say. No doubt the franchise has suffered brand damage, but the film is obviously trying to go back to the roots of the franchise.

It's tracking to open close to what Prometheus made in its OW. I think $250-350M is potentially doable.

Extended cut of Alien 3 is not a low bar though. It's a bad sequel to Aliens, but as a standalone piece it's good. Very gritty, dark as hell, great perfomances, great score. In fact, it might be one of the bleakest, most depressing and hopeless big budget studio films ever made, which makes it even more impressive it exists at all.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Extended cut of Alien 3 is not a low bar though. It's a bad sequel to Aliens, but as a standalone piece it's good. Very gritty, dark as hell, great perfomances, great score. In fact, it might be one of the bleakest, most depressing and hopeless big budget studio films ever made, which makes it even more impressive it exists at all.

Nice to not be alone on Alien 3. Or at least the Assembly Cut. It’s got tons of dope stuff in there

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

Nice to not be alone on Alien 3. Or at least the Assembly Cut. It’s got tons of dope stuff in there

Alien 3 was the first Alien film I saw (at the age of 10, recorded on VHS from ITV UK) so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

In spite of all the studio interference, it holds up pretty well. Sigourney gives (maybe) her best performance in the franchise, and the cinematography, set design and soundtrack are all ace. The pacing is all over the place, and the dialogue is pretty on the nose at times, but it's nowhere near as bad as it's reputation would have you think. And it gave us probably the most iconic image of the whole franchise:

david fincher GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

14 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

it's not even the worst Alien movie either, Alien Resurrection is a lot worse.

• Like 1

Intrigued to see how this does. Seems like it's headed for a +$40m opening, so with semi decent legs $100m could/should be on the cards. 

The Alien franchise has always been strong internationally - both Prometheus and Covenant took 70% of their gross overseas. Using a 33/67 split would get this to $300m... Which would have to be a major win in terms of relaunching the franchise.

On paper $300m feels high... But then again, if Disney can get a good-not-great Planet of the Apes film to $400m in 2024, $300m for a (hopefully) well-received Alien film doesn't feel totally bonkers... Right?! I guess the next wave of reactions on Monday will tell us a lot more.

9 hours ago, Eric is Trapped said:

The performances are very good. Charles S. Dutton gives one of the series best performances. He stole the show. What the cast managed to do with a script that changed daily is to be commended. It offered a peek at Fincher's incredible visual style, which he would later perfect with Se7en. I thought it was a good feather in the cap to the trilogy. However, I am not someone who holds too much emotional allegiance to characters, and I understand why some of the Aliens fans were disappointed.

As for Romulus, early fan praise looks good, but I'm still waiting for the big dogs to chime in.

Edited by ThePhasmid

I rewatched them all back to back again not so long ago. 

Alien 3 has always fascinated me. There are things about it that are fantastic. It’s got a sense of despair and dread that’s totally unique to even the first film. 

The capturing of the alien before a certain character letting it free - a jaw dropping oversight once you see it in the Assembly Cut.

I still like the theatrical cut though. Fox just prevented it from being truly great with their meddling. 

Resurrection is a fun, exciting ride. Much more like your average sequel we’re used to these days - even if that ‘thing’ at the end sucked so bad. 

In comparison to Alien and Aliens, sure…they’re not as good. They’re nowhere near bad movies though. 

• Like 3

Is it just me or does the trailer for this film just explain the entire Movie lol. I know how at least a few of them die now and I definitely know the plot for at least the first half XD

Still excited though, seems like they're not going for anything too complicated this time. Just "bunch of astronauts die in abandoned ship".