CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

12 minutes ago, Firepower said:

He was asked precisely "what did you think of the movie you saw?". He dodged the question and distanced himself from the movie instead. This is not how you react when you liked something. Either Cameron lied to Fede to not upset him or Fede lied Cameron loved it.

Or you are reading too much into it.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Or you are reading too much into it.

No need to, he clearly implies he wasn't a fan of what he saw, that's it. He has no stake in lying about it like he did on last Terminator movies, hence this cold response.

• Knock It Off 1

In this same interview James Cameron also said fans should get out of their mom’s basement and get a life when asked about complains over his 4K transfers. 

Maybe following this advice he gave when it comes to franchises would be a good thing as well

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

In this same interview James Cameron also said fans should get out of their mom’s basement and get a life when asked about complains over his 4K transfers. 

Maybe following this advice he gave when it comes to franchises would be a good thing as well

I do agree his response to criticism of his low quality remasters was pretty dumb, very similar to how Ridley deflects criticism of his last movies.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like it’s probably fun but relatively shallow, which concerns me a little bit as the others were so thematically rich (yes, even Resurrection) so it’ll be a shame for it to just be a standard boogeyman movie. But, I guess this is maybe what mainstream audiences want after Prometheus and Covenant left them so cold, so hopefully it brings the audiences back.

The Late to the Party tweet mentioning not being fans of Fede’s use of “a certain CG element” makes me think they’ve de-aged someone from the previous films…Hope I’m wrong.

• Like 2

Sounds like a back to basics remake of sorts, ditching the mythology and philosophy of the prequels.  Fine with me.  

I fully expect those that complained the prequels weren’t proper Alien films to now complain this is too much like an Alien film. 

5 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Supposedly bonkers and divisive third act doesn't sound like safe back to basics remake. I hope it's not Indiana Jones 5-like bonkers third act which was bonkers, but also pile of shit.

Jeff Sneider hinted on his twitter the way it could divide people, naming a movie  for comparison. Let's not bring it here 

Edited by cinema pal

8 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Jeff Sneider hinted on his twitter the way it could divide people, naming a movie  for comparison. Let's not bring it here 

Just took a look, still don't get what he means since third act of the movie he used for comparison is exactly what Romulus trailers already are, unless he means some big tonal and genre shift that might feel disconnected from the rest of the movie and not necessery content itself.

Edited by TomThomas

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

No need to, he clearly implies he wasn't a fan of what he saw, that's it. He has no stake in lying about it like he did on last Terminator movies, hence this cold response.

I read it more as Cameron's unhappy with his name being used to sell a film he's functionally unconnected to. It seems plausible to read a more negative reception there but just as plausible it's that there's a difference between offering positive feedback on a film and something like "Cameron endorses this film as a sequel to aliens/this film has the James Cameron stamp of approval." I have no idea about the hollywood etiquette of such pr statements but it sounds like there's a discrepancy between what Cameron wants to do and what Fede or the studio wants to come from Cameron publicly.  

The problem is that this just isn't "something" it's a film in a franchise Cameron is related to but doesn't have control over. You can find a lot of people navigating that sort of scenario in a number of ways. What's the whole history between Cameron and Fox, etc. on Alien franchise? I know he's disliked AvP subseries. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I read they find the necronomicon and read allowed from it and their dead friends and dead aliens and facehuggers become deadites and it turns into an Evil Dead sequel set in space. 

It's actually not far from things they considered for the first movie.

In one description of the different drafts, the crew of the Nostromo would have the ability to call people from the past to fight the alien. In one instance they would call Hercules to fight the Alien and another instance they would call Genghis Kahn to fight the alien. 

In another description of the different drafts, the crew would be brought to fight past monstrous villains from history such as Attila The Hun and Jack The Ripper. 

As pointed out by the Ask Mr Kern radio program, the plot sounded more like the "Savage Curtain" episode of Star Trek.

Edited by TomThomas

22 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I read it more as Cameron's unhappy with his name being used to sell a film he's functionally unconnected to. It seems plausible to read a more negative reception there but just as plausible it's that there's a difference between offering positive feedback on a film and something like "Cameron endorses this film as a sequel to aliens/this film has the James Cameron stamp of approval." I have no idea about the hollywood etiquette of such pr statements but it sounds like there's a discrepancy between what Cameron wants to do and what Fede or the studio wants to come from Cameron publicly.  

The problem is that this just isn't "something" it's a film in a franchise Cameron is related to but doesn't have control over. You can find a lot of people navigating that sort of scenario in a number of ways. What's the whole history between Cameron and Fox, etc. on Alien franchise? I know he's disliked AvP subseries. 

Cameron was going to do Alien 5 with Ridley and Sigourney 21 or 22 years ago, but then chaged his mind when Fox decided to go ahead with Alien vs Predator. But Cameron actually likes AvP despite the fact he thought it was a terrible idea initially.

QUINT: Milking it, totally.
JAMES CAMERON: Milking it. So, I stopped work. Then I saw ALIEN VS PREDATOR and it was actually pretty good. (laughs) I think of the 5 ALIEN films, I'd rate it 3rd.

QUINT: Ummm...
JAMES CAMERON: I actually liked it. I actually liked it a lot.

Cameron is a big Paul W. S. Anderson fan, he also adores his Resident Evil movie.

But I don't think Cameron cares about Alien at this point, he could've saved Neil Blomkamp's movie which he publicly supported, but he didn't protect the movie from Ridley and Fox when it needed his support. He gave some notes to Fede, but it doesn't mean he loved it or cared about it. He praises trash only if he's paid to do so or his big pal Arnold is in it.

Edited by Firepower

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

People forget that while critics liked Covenant, audiences didn't like it hence why 20th decided to go in a different direction for Romulus. 

Ehm, not really 

It has  avarage 6.3/10 on RT from critics , 3.3/5 from users and 6.4 on Imdb

Reception pretty much the same on both sides