Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (3/25-27) | Asgard 2 says 11.75 Sat for Lost City

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Based on updated tracking and buzz, lowering my prediction to high 30s for Morbius and raising to mid to high 40s for Fantastic Beasts (boooo). Keeping Sonic at 65, feel a breakout. Ambulance will do like 16, Northman sadly flop incoming.

$7m up from the last film isn’t a “breakout” it’s expected for Sonic 2 I’d say. 

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

TMobile has announced that Sonic will be a $4 Atom deal...that's great news for Sonic's Box Office shot...you get someone suckered in with 1-2 cheap seats for a family movie, and they tend buy the other 2-4 for the kids.  And yes, I would know...and yes, I'll probably be buying now...

I feel like these deals are announced so frequently now for most films. It’s hard to see where they make a real difference. 

Also in another big plus sign for arthouses during the pandemic is the Daniels’ martial arts fantasy Everything Everywhere All at Once which racked up a $203,9K Friday at ten theaters for a $20K average and very strong numbers across the board in NYC, LA and respectable results in San Francisco where the pic is booked at the New Mission, Metreon, & Kabuki. The opening for the AGBO produced movie is looking like $553K. That’s a $55,3K theater average which is the second best opening theater average during the pandemic for a platform release after MGM/UAR’s Licorice Pizza ($86K) — and the best opening theater average of 2022 to date. The Daniels’ previous A24 movie, Swiss Army Man, opened to $105,4K in three theaters back in June 2016 for a $35,1K theater average. Bravo, A24.

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

From what I am seeing already, I would be shocked if The Lost City didn't have a great increase.  It's female heavy and moms and groups of ladies will be out in force much more on Saturday than they were on a work night Friday.  

Lots of theaters scrambling to add additional shows today.  

It's great that it's doing well in theaters and Sandra Bullock is still a first-billed movie star at 57 acting opposite love interests 20 years younger but this would have absolutely SHATTERED Netflix records. 

22 minutes ago, Flopped said:

It's great that it's doing well in theaters and Sandra Bullock is still a first-billed movie star at 57 acting opposite love interests 20 years younger but this would have absolutely SHATTERED Netflix records. 

Booo! No one cares. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Based on updated tracking and buzz, lowering my prediction to high 30s for Morbius and raising to mid to high 40s for Fantastic Beasts (boooo). Keeping Sonic at 65, feel a breakout. Ambulance will do like 16, Northman sadly flop incoming.

Fuck Focus Features/Uni for what they've done with that movie

I'm a broken record about it, but it's really inexplicable 

Edited by Pinacolada

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't really see anything that would make a Robert Eggers movie a big lucrative moneymaker. This isn't a diss, since The Witch is a huge favorite of mine, but I just don't think his films have ever been a GA hit and nothing about Northman gives me that impression.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't really see anything that would make a Robert Eggers movie a big lucrative moneymaker. This isn't a diss, since The Witch is a huge favorite of mine, but I just don't think his films have ever been a GA hit and nothing about Northman gives me that impression.

From everything we have heard (and seen) about that movie, it's a pretty straightforward action revenge thriller, with some spiritual elements. Very similar to The Revenant. Obviously this movie doesn't have people like Leo and Tom Hardy leading it, but I think people are into Viking stuff like this. I'm not saying this is something that opens to $40m+. But I think something like high teens-$20m would be doable with good reviews (which it will get) and good marketing (which they don't care to give it).

The sole trailer they released over 4 months before it's to be released did pretty great across YouTube and Twitter (both views and likes). I know social media is filled with people who are into Eggers, but I think it absolutely indicates there is potential for broader appeal. The Northman is FAR more commercial than his previous movies. It legitimately looks epic.

In any case there's no data to indicate that people aren't interested. So I don't understand why Focus/Universal isn't leveraging at all. 

The fact that BoxOfficePro didn't even give it a prediction yesterday just screams they think it's moving (even though it isn't) because of the sheer lack of anything Focus has done for this since the first trailer.

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I agree. Eggers makes niche films for a niche audience. Its not impossible that his films develop a bigger following in the coming years though which could lead to a bit of an increase in grosses, especially if he manages to keep the quality of the movies so damn high.

2 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

From everything we have heard (and seen) about that movie, it's a pretty straightforward action revenge thriller, with some spiritual elements. Very similar to The Revenant. Obviously this movie doesn't have people like Leo and Tom Hardy leading it, but I think people are into Viking stuff like this. I'm not saying this is something that opens to $40m+. But I think something like high teens-$20m would be doable with good reviews (which it will get) and good marketing (which they don't care to give it).

The sole trailer they released over 4 months before it's to be released did pretty great across YouTube and Twitter (both views and likes). I know social media is filled with people who are into Eggers, but I think it absolutely indicates there is potential for broader appeal. The Northman is FAR more commercial than his previous movies. It legitimately looks epic

I was kind of under the assumption that the trailer was misleading and that things would be a bit funkier and out there, but if insider folks are really saying it's a traditional Viking adventure, then I guess I'm wrong here.