CJohn

THE MORBIUS OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | #MORBIUSSWEEP #LETOSWEEP | SONY SWEEPS WITH 84M WW OW | 39.1M OW | 17.1M OD | 5.7M PREVIEWS

10 hours ago, Maggie said:

I am sad this is gonna underwhelm. Even tho it’s apparently not a good movie, i wanted it to do good for the sake of theaters.

Spider-Man: No Way Home, The Batman, Uncharted, Scream 5Dog and The Lost City have done that.

I feel like we're getting back to a good place where a film can now crash and burn without us worrying about the ramifications of movie theaters?

Which is why I'm not concerned in the event Fantastic Beasts 3 and Sonic 3 don't do well.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
Fucked up and forgot to include Scream 5!
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Spider-Man: No Way Home, The Batman, Uncharted, Dog and The Lost City have done that.

I feel like we're getting back to a good place where a film can now crash and burn without us worrying about the ramifications of movie theaters?

Which is why I'm not concerned in the event Fantastic Beasts 3 and Sonic 3 don't do well.

Im also baffled at the Sonic 3 release. I mean, just skipping an entire movie to get your trilogy faster seems a bit insane to me.

Spoiler

:Venom:

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

We never had consistency even in 2018-19.

But domestic weekend box office was consistently above 100m in 2018 and 2019. Now we only get above 100m occasionally when something big happened. Even the uncharted weekend we were coming below 100m.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I am sad this is gonna underwhelm. Even tho it’s apparently not a good movie, i wanted it to do good for the sake of theaters.

We've had 30m+ weekends for 5 weeknds now and Sonic and Fantastic Beasts will continue the trend. Theaters are fine.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Im also baffled at the Sonic 3 release. I mean, just skipping an entire movie to get your trilogy faster seems a bit insane to me.

Reveal hidden contents

To be fair, that strategy worked for the Naked Gun sequels. There is a prescedent. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

But domestic weekend box office was consistently above 100m in 2018 and 2019. Now we only get above 100m occasionally when something big happened. Even the uncharted weekend we were coming below 100m.

This is the major issue. Overall the top 10 is still way too low on a weekly basis. We need to be above 100M consistently.

1 hour ago, Grebacio said:

Based on RT Verified Score, Audience reception seems underwhelming but not awful. I think it still has a (small) chance of hitting 40M 

67% is straight up awful for a blockbuster. Even really bad reception movies like Eternals were around 80. 67 is near Dark Phoenix territory.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Yes but the marketplace - compared to pre-Covid-years - is still in catch-up mode, meaning we need some more months to just have enough movies out there that are appealing enough to sustain consistent 100M+ weekends. Like, January and February were really barren this year and March was honestly as well.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The issue is that is hard to be consistent when the release calendar itself is very incosistent. We had a whole 5 weeks between Scream and Uncharted with only Jackass in the middle and barely anything else. After that, 3 weeks until The Batman and 3 more weeks for The Lost City with again barely anything else.

Most of the big studios movies this year have done really well. We just need more movies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ScareLol said:

Good for this movie and Michelle Yeoh. It's definitely too long and runs out of steam throwing everything at you and trying a little too hard to be quirky. It's proof you CAN have too much of a good thing. Not as perfect as critics had me believe but then again I do think almost everything with A24 on it should get its RT subtracted by 10-15 points.