Noctis

Has Following the Box Office Lost Its Appeal and Luster?

It's natural to lose excitement when the franchises and genres one likes is not doing well or not putting out movies. Happens with me too and not just with box office. I have become fan of so many different sports (Tennis, Soccer, F1, etc) only to lose interest and stop watching when the player/teams I support started performing poorly and/or retired. 

I gained interest in BO and joined BOM around 2007-08 as well and solely because of Harry Potter. When we shifted to BOT I was one of the earliest joiners here but I only lurked. I lost interest after Harry Potter ended its run at the BO. But when I started gaining interest in SH movies around 2015-16 I started gaining interest in their BO too. 

You may not admit or realizer it but I think a part of the reason for you feeling this way is because of the state of your favourite franchise. I would lose some interest too if my favourite franchises started performing badly or stopped getting made. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Everything we enjoyed when we were younger has lost its luster. It's called getting old and depressed.

I still enjoy familia after 20 years and I'm not giving it up 

Spoiler

I am old and depressed though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Everything we enjoyed when we were younger has lost its luster. It's called getting old and depressed.

Honestly I'm sorta finding this place to be the refuge from the crappiness of the world again that it used to be. I started enjoying it less because at a certain point the general temperature in here pretty much became as heated as Twitter (and tbh the Telegram chat as well these days). Now I find the fragmented film-specific threads appealing again.

• Like 2

Box Office tracking, for me, boils down to "I want to see x movie do good", "I wonder how x movie is lasting so long", and "x movie is really hanging in there, wow."

It's not multipliers, ticket sold counts, etc. I admire the fervor there, but I keep it simple.

It's a little harder to be enthused about it these days because most* movies I want to see do good are shunted to streaming, or have no chance of becoming runaway successes -  but that's okay. The pandemic brings a new landscape that's making it fresh again - "How much can x movie succeed if we all know it's going to be on streaming in a month and some change?", "This movie seems weird, but it's finding a mainstream audience." opens a lot more possibilities of thought.

*There are a few outliers - Hello, Sonic 2.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

We have not had a true mega smash breakout since JURASSIC WORLD in summer 2015. There are so few surprises. We are overdue for a new era, but not sure what it will be. 

2001 was no doubt the best year.

-Hannibal in March, the long overdue sequel to the classic original, EPIC TRAILER

-Mummy 2, a sequel to one of the best popcorn summer films of all time

-Pearl Harbor, "MTV does WW2", holder of one of the greatest marketing campaigns and action sequences in history

-Shrek, the still hilarious true challenger to the might of Pixar that allowed Mike Meyers, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy to all retire

-Fast and Furious - absolutely nobody saw what the serious would ultimately become. I wonder how many of todays F&F fans have even seen the original one?

-Planet of the Apes, the most disappointing film of that summer
-Rush Hour 2, needed more movies from this series

-Jurassic Park 3,  meh

-Monsters Inc, classic

-Potter 1, even more hyped the Pearl Harbor, the buzz was deafening

-LOTR 1, classic

-Ocean 11, still great fun

-Black Hawk Down, one of the best war films ever

This year will never be topped and was no doubt the peak of my time following it. It was an incredible time to be a film fan. Such a great mixture of old and new. The epics, the sequels, the remakes, the large scale comedies, "new Hollywood" taking over with The Rock making his film debut while Josh Hartnett and Vin Diesel instantly joined the A-list. 

2. 2008 - one of the most significant years in pop culture history - The Dark Knight is the most influential film of the 2000s, Obama becomes the biggest celebrity on Earth, future megastars Katy Perry/Gaga/Rihanna arrive, etc.

We need another year like this one where the future holds so much promise and so many opportunities. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

It's natural to lose excitement when the franchises and genres one likes is not doing well or not putting out movies. Happens with me too and not just with box office. I have become fan of so many different sports (Tennis, Soccer, F1, etc) only to lose interest and stop watching when the player/teams I support started performing poorly and/or retired. 

I gained interest in BO and joined BOM around 2007-08 as well and solely because of Harry Potter. When we shifted to BOT I was one of the earliest joiners here but I only lurked. I lost interest after Harry Potter ended its run at the BO. But when I started gaining interest in SH movies around 2015-16 I started gaining interest in their BO too. 

You may not admit or realizer it but I think a part of the reason for you feeling this way is because of the state of your favourite franchise. I would lose some interest too if my favourite franchises started performing badly or stopped getting made. 

I completely agree with your reasoning, but as a brazilian seeing someone calling football as soccer always hurts 😪

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

I completely agree with your reasoning, but as a brazilian seeing someone calling football as soccer always hurts 😪

We in India also call it Football, never Soccer. But I had to say Soccer to avoid confusing our American users otherwise they would take me to be a fan of handegg. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

We have not had a true mega smash breakout since JURASSIC WORLD in summer 2015. There are so few surprises. We are overdue for a new era, but not sure what it will be. 

If you're counting Jurassic World, then Black Panther should qualify.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/black-panther-tracking-heroic-100m-us-debut-1078222/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

The most fun is when there are breakout movies like Avatar or Deadpool.

Those seem fewer now.

And on a personal note I miss when everyone posted gifs. That shit used to be hilarious.

I still enjoy the hobby though.

The gifs were the fucking best. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Soccer is a good name, otherwise people might confuse it with real football.

Why would people confuse the NFL with real football? Naming it soccer feels like it might cause more confusion among the less smart US folk.

I def think No Way Home's performance was a pleasant shock that injected some life into the industry again, especially with it happening in the middle of a virus wave. You can still lament the blockbuster-driven nature of the industry I guess but the bottom line is it really needed that to promote some stability in the release schedule. Personally I'm just gonna appreciate being able to keep seeing the smaller budget stuff in theaters however much money it makes.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Why would people confuse the NFL with real football? Naming it soccer feels like it might cause more confusion among the less smart US folk.

The confusion is among the non US folk not realizing that soccer is the appropriate name for association football.

Gridiron football is the real football. This is because gridiron is a cooler word than association.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

The confusion is among the non US folk not realizing that soccer is the appropriate name for association football.

Or maybe 90% of the world is correct and the US stubbornly refuses to do anything they haven't already been doing - like with the metric system, or the way the day is written as MM/DD/YYYY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I def think No Way Home's performance was a pleasant shock that injected some life into the industry again, especially with it happening in the middle of a virus wave. You can still lament the blockbuster-driven nature of the industry I guess but the bottom line is it really needed that to promote some stability in the release schedule. Personally I'm just gonna appreciate being able to keep seeing the smaller budget stuff in theaters however much money it makes.

Reminds me of this. 

17 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Gridiron football is the real football. This is because gridiron is a cooler word than association.

No. The rest of the world isn't wrong. The US is. Just like how they use fahrenheit instead of celsius because...America.