YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

15 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Well, The Last Kingdom shit the bed in its final season, I quit on episode 6 I think.   And that new one Vikings of Valhalla is godawful and aggressively inauthentic, I was done after 2 episodes.

I'm seeing the Northman next week and I hope its some good crazy shit.

Oh yes, Northman has some crazy esotheric shit. You are better than me. I quit Kingdom on that episode where they ran around the woods with kids and never watched Valhalla. So you don't recommend? 

The Northman is good, yet is also my least favorite Eggers movie so far. Its narrative and themes are so simple and straightforward that I was definitely getting antsy during the 2nd act considering the movie's epic length, and this is coming from someone who adored both The Witch and The Lighthouse.

The falling audience score on RT doesn't surprise me, but I'm happy such a polarizing film was granted a whopping $70m budget.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

The Northman is good, yet is also my least favorite Eggers movie so far. Its narrative and themes are so simple and straightforward that I was definitely getting antsy during the 2nd act considering the movie's epic length, and this is coming from someone who adored both The Witch and The Lighthouse.

The falling audience score on RT doesn't surprise me, but I'm happy such a polarizing film was granted a whopping $70m budget.

I'm surprised people are calling it simple or straightforward given

Spoiler

the twist with Nicole Kidman. 

1 hour ago, Dragoncaine said:

And I think it's eggers best film to date.....

That makes Eggers 2 out of 3 in my book. Liked the Witch a lot,  did not like The Lighthouse.

30 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I'm surprised people are calling it simple or straightforward given

Hide contents

the twist with Nicole Kidman. 

Twist comes as no surprise if you

Spoiler

are familair with Hamlet. Shakespeare based the play on the same Norse Folk Story that "THe Northman" retells.

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

Will FB 3 gross more than Sonic 2 WW when all said is done?

I'd say it will be very close and I'd currently give the edge to FB3. They are roughly at the same point right now with FB3 coming from a bigger weekend but with weaker legs.

Though on a country to country basis I would guess that FB3 performing stronger is due to few countries (like Germany probably 30m vs 10m and Japan maybe 40m vs 2/5/10m - absolutely no idea what sonic could do there and it performing stronger in most of Europe, South Korea etc, which offsets Sonic being stronger in the states.) In quite a lot they seem to be heading towards roughly similar totals.

Edited by Taruseth

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Twist comes as no surprise if you

Hide contents

are familair with Hamlet. Shakespeare based the play on the same Norse Folk Story that "THe Northman" retells.

Truthfully I've not read it or seen the Mel Gibson/Glenn Close movie. But I do remember The Lion King very well! 

4 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

The falling RT audience score for The Northman needs to CHILL

What are we looking at for Northman to finish at? It's already frontloaded. Green Knight legs (2.55) put it around 30million. Last Duel legs (2.28) put it around 27.36million. Of course, as long as the 12m holds. 28million? 

That's relatively decent for Focus..top 30 or so. Their best non-Downton Abbey and Black Klansman since 2018 and (probably) over On the Basis of Sex (24.7m), Won't You Be My Neighbor (22.8m), same year

But its VOD in like 10 days right? Be out of theaters Dr. Strange weekend. 

Kind of astonishing it'll have less admissions than The Witch (25.1m in 2016). (Also had a decent 2.86x but opened at 8.8m). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

That's relatively decent for Focus..top 30 or so. Their best non-Downton Abbey and Black Klansman since 2018 and (probably) over On the Basis of Sex (24.7m), Won't You Be My Neighbor (22.8m), same year

Wonder what numbers TÁR and Armageddon Time will do for them. TÁR might end up being a decent Oscar play, maybe it'll also reach the high 20s low 30s range domestically.

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Wonder what numbers TÁR and Armageddon Time will do for them. TÁR might end up being a decent Oscar play, maybe it'll also reach the high 20s low 30s range domestically.

They will both do very badly. A Todd Field movie that's supposedly experimental and about Blanchett being a German pianist (?) will not make any money in a 2022 environment regardless of awards buzz. Little Children made 5.4m in 2006 and I don't think In the Bedroom's 35.9m is achievable

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What are we looking at for Northman to finish at? It's already frontloaded. Green Knight legs (2.55) put it around 30million. Last Duel legs (2.28) put it around 27.36million. Of course, as long as the 12m holds. 28million? 

But its VOD in like 10 days right? Be out of theaters Dr. Strange weekend. 

Kind of astonishing it'll have less admissions than The Witch (25.1m in 2016). (Also had a decent 2.86x but opened at 8.8m). 

With a 12 OW which showed a lot of signs of being frontloaded best case scenario is a 30M total. Awful for its 70M budget.

• Like 1