YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

The Northman was a masterpiece. I don't understand why the crowds don't like it. It is a straight forward revenge epic. I guess people only like superheroes nowadays.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/the-bad-guys-the-northman-box-office-1234719122/

A movie that grossed 12M OW and likely have little legs and a movie that is on the lower list of Dreamworks Animations releases is a comeback.  That is pretty low standards.

Feels like now that Netflix has stumbled for a bit, trades somehow think it is a blow to Streaming in general.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

The Northman was a masterpiece. I don't understand why the crowds don't like it. It is a straight forward revenge epic. I guess people only like superheroes nowadays.

I haven't seen it yet but from my understanding a lot of people are going into this expecting something like Gladiator 2.0 but are getting something a bit "weirder" with trippy viking mythology.  Gladiator is popular cinema at its most polished and going off of The Witch and Lighthouse, I don't think Robert Eggers ever had the intention of making that kind of movie.

28 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I haven't seen it yet but from my understanding a lot of people are going into this expecting something like Gladiator 2.0 but are getting something a bit "weirder" with trippy viking mythology.  Gladiator is popular cinema at its most polished and going off of The Witch and Lighthouse, I don't think Robert Eggers ever had the intention of making that kind of movie.

in interviews he’s more or less stated his intention with the movie was to make the most mainstream version of a “robert eggers film” possible

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/22/movies/robert-eggers-the-northman.html

I also think that without pressure from the studio, I couldn’t have delivered what I pitched, which was “the most entertaining Robert Eggers movie,” because entertaining is not necessarily my first instinct. In fact, with my first two films, it was my fifth or 15th priority, whereas here it was No. 1. In the end, even though it was painful and I got a lot of gray hairs from it, I’m grateful for the pressure from the studio to get this film in the shape that it’s in. There will not be some longer director’s cut on the Blu-ray. This is the film that I wanted to make.

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Writing pieces like this doesn't help for sure

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Nonsense by Variety.

2022 and still the really weird:

That reality means the film has a lot of ground to make up internationally. Box office experts estimate “The Northman” has to generate at least $140 million globally to cover its production budget. However, adding in the tens of millions in marketing means a movie like “The Northman” likely needs to make almost $200 million to break even in its theatrical run. In this case, Focus has a little flexibility in its finances because of Universal’s agreement with exhibitors to put movies on digital platforms in as little as 17 days. Expect the company to put “The Northman” on premium video-on-demand and its parent company’s streamer Peacock as soon as legally possible — and then pray to Odin that the movies becomes an instant cult hit.

Floating around in publications.... and for a movie like that one nonetheless (has if anyone involved thought it had any chance to be one of the very rare break even from theatrical endeavours...)

The shift to prestige/attention created for a need to grow streaming platform will be virtually impossible commentary wise.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

@CJohn

I can absolutely understand why people would not like The Northman.  My friend I saw it with was mixed walking out.  Said it was a lot to take in, and a lot of violence.  And I would argue this is violence.  It's not the escapist whimsy of an MCU action sequence, the L O L over-the-top insanity of a Fast & Furious car chase/pile up, or the craftsmanship of a perfectly choreographed Hong Kong hand-to-hand fight.  It's rape (though that's never explicitly on screen) and pillaging and sheer brutality.

There was definitely of couple of scenes where I was like 'Oh. Oh, God'.  And I loved the movie.  Can't imagine what someone might be thinking who didn't.  So I definitely get why it's getting a mixed WOM.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Cap said:

@CJohn

I can absolutely understand why people would not like The Northman.  My friend I saw it with was mixed walking out.  Said it was a lot to take in, and a lot of violence.  And I would argue this is violence.  It's not the escapist whimsy of an MCU action sequence, the L O L over-the-top insanity of a Fast & Furious car chase/pile up, or the craftsmanship of a perfectly choreographed Hong Kong hand-to-hand fight.  It's rape (though that's never explicitly on screen) and pillaging and sheer brutality.

There was definitely of couple of scenes where I was like 'Oh. Oh, God'.  And I loved the movie.  Can't imagine what someone might be thinking who didn't.  So I definitely get why it's getting a mixed WOM.

I loved the actual Norse Mythology they worked into the film, A lot different then the MCU version....

For one thing, the Norns in this film were the actual Norns of norse mythlogy who pretty much were an equvilent of the Three Fates in Greek Mythology, rather then they sort of mystical guides they were in the MCU version.

As @Valonqarsaid earlier, it's the international numbers that are most disappointing and baffling to me about The Northman. Domestic frontloading was disappointing but that 12.2 m OW is what it is.

The international numbers being even worse (much worse) surprises and saddens me more. I thought this would have appeal at least in Europe

• Like 1

8th grade:

Domestic Box Office $13,539,710 Details
International Box Office $808,310 Details
Worldwide Box Office $14,348,020

Uncut Gems (2019)

dbo: 50 millions

no intl release

Lady Bird (2017)

Domestic Box Office $48,958,273 Details
International Box Office $29,986,725 Details
Worldwide Box Office $78,944,998

Hereditary (2018)

Domestic Box Office $44,069,456 Details
International Box Office $37,194,033 Details
Worldwide Box Office $81,263,489

Ex Machina

Domestic Box Office $25,440,971 Details
International Box Office $12,917,421 Details
Worldwide Box Office $38,358,392

Midsommar

Domestic Box Office $27,426,363 Details
International Box Office $19,404,461 Details
Worldwide Box Office $46,830,824

The witch

Domestic Box Office $25,138,705 Details
International Box Office $15,300,269 Details
Worldwide Box Office $40,438,974

The Disaster Artist (2017)

Domestic Box Office $21,120,616 Details
International Box Office $7,597,051 Details
Worldwide Box Office $28,717,667

The farewell(2019)

Domestic Box Office $17,700,478 Details
International Box Office $4,800,209 Details
Worldwide Box Office $22,500,687

The Green Knight

Domestic Box Office $17,173,321 Details
International Box Office $1,696,639 Details
Worldwide Box Office $18,869,960

It comes at night

Domestic Box Office $13,985,117 Details
International Box Office $5,735,086 Details
Worldwide Box Office $19,720,203

Movie with oscar attention like The Room/Moonlight achieved to go over 50% intl, but otherwise A24 seem to do better where they distribute themselve in the USA that the rest of the world when it is handled by a collection of distributor.

Some of the above where more for American audience target, some had Netflix exclusive (green knight), too, but I could imagine quality of distribution not being equal domestic vs many markets.