YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

10 hours ago, John2015 said:

Deadline overestimated both films on Saturday morning.... Looks like last Sat wasn't a perfect day for moviegoing....

This has been a trend since reopening. Everything have to do with bump are now muted. We have muted holiday increase, we have softer Saturday surge and weaker Tuesday discount jump.

5 hours ago, Flopped said:

I'm surprised people are calling it simple or straightforward given

Reveal hidden contents

I'm glad that reveal surprised a lot of people, and narratively it worked for me, but I saw it coming within the first 20 minutes of the movie. It's well-executed, but the story took almost the exact path I predicted from the outset.

I liked The Northman and it was actually quite a full crowd today. However, I am sorry to report my crowd absolutely despised it and did sort of an exasperated laugh thing when it ended.

Don't shoot the messenger!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 2

I'm seeing Northman on Tuesday with some friends at work, and I'm already prepared to be the only one who likes it and dealing with my buddies complaining about how they didn't get the point and that it was super boring. Funnnnnnnnnnnn

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I liked The Northman and it was actually quite a full crowd today. However, I am sorry to report my crowd absolutely despised it and did sort of an exasperated laugh thing when it ended.

Losers

• Like 2

I won’t see Northman this week as finals are approaching and I got very important papers to turn in and exams to prep for. Maybe I’ll do a movie day on the 13th to get some time to unwind.

• Like 1

FWIW I also saw The Northman is a surprisingly crowded theater today and the most negative thing I heard from the crowd walking out was one guy who said, I don’t know whether I liked it or not. An older couple passed me while I stopped to wait for my daughter to use the restroom, the woman saying that she thought it was a really good movie and her husband (I assume) replying that he thought it was great. So maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

25 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I won’t see Northman this week as finals are approaching and I got very important papers to turn in and exams to prep for. Maybe I’ll do a movie day on the 13th to get some time to unwind.

Relatable, I wanted to see Northman on Saturday but then a lot of stuff just crept up on me and I ended up being too busy. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

Never mind the massive price tag, which will make it almost impossible for “The Northman” to escape the red during its run in theaters. Focus Features called this weekend’s result “a success on every level.”

“We’re excited that a film so bold and daring is resonating with audiences around the world,” said Lisa Bunnell, president of domestic distribution for Focus Features. “It’s a towering artistic achievement and a win for us at the company. We have always believed in Robert Eggers’ singular vision as a groundbreaking filmmaker — and are thrilled to be on this ride with him.”

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/box-office-the-bad-guys-beats-fantastic-beasts-3-1235239572/

Edited by John2015
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

There’s about five people in here that need to be banned for spoilers for Northman

, but I’m trying to figure out if discussion of a play from Elizabethan England that everyone should have read and know the plot to is technically a spoiler.

:sparta:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

That would explain the falling Audience scores on rotten tomatoes. 

Edited by Nikostar

1 minute ago, Nikostar said:

That would explain the falling Audience scores on rotten tomatoesAudience scores on rotten tomatoes. 

Why people are so concerned about RT audience score? There's only 1000 votes, unless it's for a major blockbuster it's not really helpful.

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Why people are so concerned about RT audience score? There's only 1000 votes, unless it's for a major blockbuster it's not really helpful.

1000s is plenty sample size to get a reasonably small margin of (sampling) bias.