Eric Prime

Cinemacon 2022 Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Maybe they expected more from Moonfall and got blindsided when it flopped as badly as it did, and now they have to play things safe ;_;

Moonfall had a shit ton of marketing so I think they did expect better from it.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

If they are expecting other studios to let that pre-Thanksgiving date be for a prequel to a franchise which was limping by the end, I think they will be surprised.

At least it is based on a book and it seems like they won't try to expand past one movie, unlike a certain prequel saga that just ultra bombed recently...

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

If they are expecting other studios to let that pre-Thanksgiving date be for a prequel to a franchise which was limping by the end, I think they will be surprised.

I was admittedly surprised Twilight nostalgia was in full effect last year when they all came out on Netflix, but that at least had paranormal romance, an evergreen story subject. YA dystopia just loses its luster when we have been living in a real-life dystopia ever since Mockingjay was out of the theater.

1 minute ago, Eric is a furry said:

I was admittedly surprised Twilight nostalgia was in full effect last year when they all came out on Netflix, but that at least had paranormal romance, an evergreen story subject. YA dystopia just loses its luster when we have been living in a real-life dystopia ever since Mockingjay was out of the theater.

There's a reason dystopia died out for sure. Seeing the rise of a Trumpy figure at the same time that Cheetler will likely be running for President again doesn't feel like escapism.

• Like 2

There's a reason dystopia died out for sure. Seeing the rise of a Trumpy figure at the same time that Cheetler will likely be running for President again doesn't feel like escapism.

There's a great YouTube video all about the rise and fall of YA dystopia in the 2010s, and it really is fascinating to look back on these books and movies and how basic their commentary and satire was in hindsight. You would think a fad that was driven by strong, dynamic, and interesting female characters would be intersectional or at least have some unique look into sexism through a dystopia lens

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

No borderland footage? Is it that bad? No faith?

I honestly wouldn't be at all shocked if it ends up sold to a streamer.

This Hunger Games prequel will be lucky if it even approaches half of Mockingjay Part 2's relatively disappointing total.

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I actually thought Borderlands was finished and ready to go. Guess not.

You know what, I bet Lionsgate is getting hurt by the same VFX struggles that's causing Disney and Warner Bros. to delay and reschedule their films. It's just that unlike everyone else, Lionsgate happens to not be announcing a date way in advance. And in some ways it's better from the fans' perspective for the studio to hold the release date back until they're sure it's ready than for the announced date to be pushed back again and again.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I laugh in the face of everyone that told me over and over not only that theaters were dead, but also that Top Gun: Maverick wasn't going to perform.  

It's fucking AWESOME and is going to be a smash hit.  Insanely good. 

two hour ad for defense spending should play really well in the US

And that's a wrap on CinemaCon. Frankly I was disappointed. Mainly because the movies I cared about (Dune 2, Sonic 3, Mario) were either barely there or not mentioned at all. It wasn't all bad though. Finally getting some actual Avatar 2 news and a release date for Barbie were both nice. I really want to go see the Avatar remaster as well if it gets released in my country.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 7:54 PM, CJohn said:

I was hoping for some Batgirl and Father of the Bride news. Guess both will stick with HBO Max releases.

That’s a much bigger deal and discussion as the whole HBOMAX movie slate is potentially going back to Theater save for some.