Eric the Fall Guy

Venom: The Last Dance | October 25, 2024

10 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

$200m DOM incoming.

Superhero fatigue will prevent that. Yes there was a pandemic but Venom 2 had NWH hype, Carnage, and it was also during the peak of comic book movies (no I am not joking). A completely new property with a rotten/B was still able to do $400M WW without China back then. . .release it now and it does Marvels numbers. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

Good god. I don't even like these movies that much and I think the typical  BOT CBM  negativity around this is so dumb and tiresome. The casuals/GA like these movies for some reason and there is no reason to think they won't again. 

• Like 1

Venom and its sequel were fun and guilty pleasures for me. Tom Hardy plays a really fun Eddie Brock and Venom.

I'm absolutely seeing this one, but I'm perplexed by Sony's decision to move it from its November spot. I don't know if Joker will have the same appeal as it did the first time, but Venom's previous release date felt safer.

Edited by NoobSaibot
Fixing a mess of incoherent thoughts.
  • Like 2

The Wolfman is probably headed to next year with this development (its currently set for that weekend).

As for the November situation, IMO think the best is if Gladiator 2 moves up to the 8th (two weeks of IMAX/PLFs), Moana 2 moves up 5 days to the pre-Thanksgiving spot ala Frozen 2, and Wicked is the main event for Thanksgiving. Problem solved.

• Like 1

I like the title lol. It's fun

I'm surprised it moved up to October 25 instead of just taking the coveted November 1 spot. I'm sure something will move to Nov 1, which will cause this to only get 1 week of PLFs, probably. 

Like filmlover said, I think it'd be a good idea for Gladiator 2 to go to Nov 1 or Nov 8. Maybe Sonic moves up from Christmas too. 3 animated filmes in the last 2 weeks of Dec is too much, though I guess they're a little bit more unconventional (Lotr, Lion King, Sonic).

17 hours ago, TMP said:

This thing’s gonna flop so hard. The Marvels numbers if lucky

Nah, it will make money like the other Venom Movies. I think both previous Venom films were pretty crapy, but they made money.

16 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Good god. I don't even like these movies that much and I think the typical  BOT CBM  negativity around this is so dumb and tiresome. The casuals/GA like these movies for some reason and there is no reason to think they won't again. 

I disliked both previious Venom movies, but Venom is a popular charecter and this one will make money. That is why The Marvels is not a good comparasion; the charecters do not have the kind of following that Venom does.

And it cost a lot less then Marvels.

Edited by dudalb

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t see why there would be a guarantee that this’ll make money. 

The last two made a lot of dough, and they were both pretty crappy.

I'm 1000% faituged off MCU and DCEU stuff but I will be there day one for this, the only CBM i really care about this year. Venom 2 was 90 mins of pure entertainment and I can't wait to see Hardy's performance evolve to hopefully even nuttier heights, even in the very mediocre and bland Venom 1, he makes it eminently watchable.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

On 3/13/2024 at 4:25 PM, TheDude391 said:

I'm 1000% faituged off MCU and DCEU stuff but I will be there day one for this, the only CBM i really care about this year. Venom 2 was 90 mins of pure entertainment and I can't wait to see Hardy's performance evolve to hopefully even nuttier heights, even in the very mediocre and bland Venom 1, he makes it eminently watchable.

I agree with a lot of this. I think a lot of Venom 2 is actually super interesting in how weird and unconventional it is. The carnage stuff isn't great but a lot of the other stuff is interesting and pretty fun

My worry for this is the director. A first time director. I'm sure Tom Hardy is like basically co directing this. But the last 2 comic book movies we've gotten from first time directors are Dark Phoenix and Madame Web. As Elon Musk would say, Concerning

I think the budget will continue to be fairly low, probably like $125m for this so I think it'll do well enough. But I think Venom 2s performance is the ceiling. I'd predict a $400m+ gross, as long as it's on the same level as the other 2 movies. If it's a disaster like the 2 movies I mentioned, it could be fucked

• Like 1