BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

With the few estimates in so far, looking like Saturday was a bit better than Friday across the board, stronger week/week holds. Probably see most estimates come up from where they were pegged as of yesterday 

• Like 2

The Lost City is gonna reach 100M over Memorial weekend. Shame that Sonic had such a shitty early legs or else it might have reached 200M on that weekend as well (as is, it will probably end at 190M or so). Paramount would be gloating so hard with their Tuesday morning PR if that was the case.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, jedijake said:

A 2.0 multiplier for DS2 would be absolutely devastating and makes me really wonder how well Thor4 and BP2 are going to fare.

DS2 is not indicative of L&T or WF, just like NWH was not indicative of DS2. Their reception and multiplier are wholly their own.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

April was really rough. 

9 wide releases but only 2 of them did well. 

Both were also family movies after two years of turmoil for the genre. Bodes well for Lightyear/Minions/Super-Pets this summer.

Edit: unless the other you're referring to is Everything Everywhere (since that began as a March release but didn't expand until April). Still, The Bad Guys has done fine all things considered.

Edited by filmlover

Just now, MessiahXXR said:

DS2 is not indicative of L&T or WF, just like NWH was not indicative of DS2. Their reception and multiplier are wholly their own.

Besides tbh yes the hook for DS2 was their in NWH but the multiverse angle was always going to be bigger because the latter had the two biggest non-MCU Marvel heroes. If anything this situation reminds me more of Avengers and IM3.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Both were also family movies after two years of turmoil for the genre. Bodes well for Lightyear/Minions/Super-Pets this summer.

I think all three could do 150m+. Lightyear and Minions should do 200m+ but not over 300m.

A part of me wonders though if Bad Guys moved to next weekend, how much bigger would it have been?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeh! What is the US school holiday season? 

I know it’s a bit different Vs UK. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Yeh! What is the US school holiday season? 

I know it’s a bit different Vs UK. 

Each state tends to be different as to when summer break starts but it begins more or less around Memorial Day weekend and lasts until early-to-mid-August.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

With these numbers, Strange should be the first comic book movie to end its run somewhere between 900-999*

*although TDK ended its initial run on that range too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Firestarter not even 4M OW.

This transcends beeing even worthy of mockery.

That is very much #SimplySad territory.

It is like less than 0.1 Morbillions OW. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

It is like less than 0.1 Morbillions OW. Absolutely ridiculous.

And its not like a full Morbillion is the proudest of achievements for movies.

• Haha 1

-67.5% drop for Strange 2. Pretty rough but could still get to 400m if it holds good next weekend. To be honest, while I think WOM is a factor, I think the bigger more fan driven MCU will become more frontloaded second weekend drop especially with 3 PM Thursday previews (NWH is an example, yes Christmas was a factor but i think a 60%+ drop would’ve happened regardless)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Firestarter not even 4M OW.

This transcends beeing even worthy of mockery.

That is very much #SimplySad territory.

I mentioned this before it came out but I'm still confused as to who the target audience a Firestarter remake was supposed to be. Stephen King fans? Fans of the Drew Barrymore movie from nearly 40 years ago (do those exist)? Zac Efron fans (do those even exist anymore)? Pyromaniacs? Clearly even Universal knew it was doomed when they made it a day-and-date title at a time when those are disappearing.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mentioned this before it came out but I'm still confused as to who the target audience a Firestarter remake was supposed to be. Stephen King fans? Fans of the Drew Barrymore movie from nearly 40 years ago (do those exist)? Zac Efron fans (do those even exist anymore)? Pyromaniacs? Clearly even Universal knew it was doomed when they made it a day-and-date title at a time when those are disappearing.

Nah i think it has more to do with studios rushing to get more modern Stephen King adaptions after the giant success of It (2017). Hence why we got a Pet Sematary remake in 2019 and we get a Firestarter one right now. Has less to do with the actual titles and more with the King brandname imo.