BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

I think there's a lot of factors at play here in terms of bad legs. Expectations not being met, the darkness/horror stuff perhaps being too much for a lot of people, confusion from casuals about big plot points etc

remnebt when a PG movie like Raiders og the Lost Ark could have melting faces but now Doctor Strange 2 is apparently too “scary” for people 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

remnebt when a PG movie like Raiders og the Lost Ark could have melting faces but now Doctor Strange 2 is apparently too “scary” for people 

Cultures change, standards change. I think it's worth mentioning that Indiana Jones literally led to a new rating being added because of parents complaining, and parents complained about Batman Returns in the 90s and there was talks of Jurassic Park being too scary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Cultures change, standards change. I think it's worth mentioning that Indiana Jones literally led to a new rating being added because of parents complaining, and parents complained about Batman Returns in the 90s and there was talks of Jurassic Park being too scary.

yeah but I feel all that stuff was genuinely more intense than anything in DS2

Just now, John Marston said:

yeah but I feel all that stuff was genuinely more intense than anything in DS2

I'd agree but for the MCU audience it's different from stuff they're used to I guess.

This film opened over a 100 million more than the last Doctor Strange.

Now the difference in the 2nd weekend gross will only be around 18 million.

MCU movies are becoming front-loaded.  400m is certainly dead.

Edited by exomassey

Dr. Strange dropping this hard made me wonder for a second if delaying DC Super Pets was a good idea... before I remembered that Top Gun 2 is shaping up to be a breakout and Lightyear would likely have cockblocked it a couple weeks later. Pushing that one back was still a wise decision, just for different reasons now.

One reason (beyond all the others weve discussed already) for Stranges frontloading could maybe be the ridiculous amount of showtimes that this movie has/had, especially on OW. When you have showings on 2 pm, 2:15 pm, 2:30 pm, 2:45 pm etc. the whole day then truly everyone who wants to see it could do so in the first 4 to 5 Days.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, M37 said:

No, I think that's a premature, and reflects more how audience/market dynamics have shifted in post-pandemic era than specifically about the MCU. Yes, there is absolutely more of an OW fan-rush and larger previews (facilitated by earlier Thursday showings), but its magnified much more when a film struggles to break out beyond that core fan base

To rephrase: I don't think anyone is expecting Thor L&T to bank 50% of its total gross by the end of its first Sunday in July, like both Order of Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince did (albeit off of Wed openings). And NWH legged out much more like TFA than LJ or Skywalker

NWH had good later legs, the over all multi (3.09x) is closer to TLJ (2.82x) and TRoS (2.90) than TFA though (3.78x).

But Thor will probably only end up with a 2.3-2.4, because of Thursday slowly becoming the real opening day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Taruseth said:

But Thor will probably only end up with a 2.3-2.4, because of Thursday slowly becoming the real opening day.

What do you mean, they are only Thursday previews! Previews that are like Midnight showings! You sound like they would start at some funny time like 3 pm or something.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I don't even understand why people even want different tone.

Eternals and MoM are good movie because they are different from so called formula, have different tone despite being..... Bad movies. 

This tone people are dissing is MCU's MO..... it's MCU's Identity.

Marvel make people laugh, they make fun lighthearted superhero movies which people can enjoy in theaters, that's one of the reason if they're succes among other reasons, why would people want to change it. 

Martin Scorsese was right about Marvel movies.