BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well, I actually expect Disney to use Lightyear to pad it a bit with double features. And, it'll be pretty much in low numbers by the time Jurassic World is out I imagine. That's Strange's 5th weekend. Maverick will hit it hard but it's also a holiday weekend with the only two budget option being Maverick as a clear #1 but Strange as the clear #2.

Don't think DS2 which has horror elements works well as a double  feature with a family friendly animation 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I wonder if Men will make more than Firestarter did next weekend, despite playing in less than half of the locations?

Probably not. I'd expect worse audience reception for Men.

I'm a little confused at Men because I thought it was premiering at Cannes in Un Certain Regard, but it's just screening there.

14 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Agree with this.

Having to include Wanda and her storyline just took away from making a fun Doctor Strange movie. It’s probably the reason Scott Derrickson left.

Waldron even said that Wanda wasn’t the villain of the movie until he and Raimi we’re brought on.

Yup. And, just anecdotal, but pretty much everyone I know will and has seen pretty much every MCU movie. But, pretty much everyone of these same people haven't watched a single episode of any MCU series. Given some hindsight now, it's definite mistake. They should've almost had a refresher the outset of Strange 2 for everyone that hadn't seen WandaVision. And, they should probably really avoid that going forward you need to see the series for the movie to work. This goes for all the superhero stuff that's doing this... Marvel, DC, everyone. It alienates viewers and will slowly but surely hamstring box office returns a bit.

Before my parents and siblings saw it together, I gave them a quick refresher because none knew a WandaVision show existed let alone watched it. They just remembered her from Infinity War and Endgame and she's barely in Endgame.

While not nearly as necessary to have seen, they even hint at some of the fallout from what happened by the end of the Loki series in Strange 2 as well.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Before he claim with certainty that milestone X, Y, Z is dead, lets see if the movie stabilizes in upcoming days and weeks. MCU movies have that tendency so DS2 may not be different. I don't have a dog in this fight cause I didn't like it much (may be due to the universe and main character  - charmless wizarding world - since I didn't like first DS either) but I'm interested in boxoffice mechanism and MCU is pretty consistent with late legs. So we'll see. 

the-office-thank-you.gif

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. And, just anecdotal, but pretty much everyone I know will and has seen pretty much every MCU movie. But, pretty much everyone of these same people haven't watched a single episode of any MCU series. Given some hindsight now, it's definite mistake. They should've almost had a refresher the outset of Strange 2 for everyone that hadn't seen WandaVision. And, they should probably really avoid that going forward you need to see the series for the movie to work. This goes for all the superhero stuff that's doing this... Marvel, DC, everyone. It alienates viewers and will slowly but surely hamstring box office returns a bit.

Before my parents and siblings saw it together, I gave them a quick refresher because none knew a WandaVision show existed let alone watched it. They just remembered her from Infinity War and Endgame and she's barely in Endgame.

This I can get behind, the little refresher at the start would have been great. It did feel like one of those times where you go to the wash room and missed a scene in some places. People only have so much time too, even if I was interested in D+ shows in general I know for a fact I couldn't fit them in. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh yeh: Bad Guys and Sonic 2. EEAAO is still a March release. 

I wonder if Men will make more than Firestarter did next weekend, despite playing in less than half of the locations?

(if it’s still estimated at 1,600)

Doubt it, buzz is extremely quiet. Going to be another X for A24.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

yeah its like way more people seen serenity then the tv show firefly.

Tv shows rarely get the mass viewership as a major blockbuster i think

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Don't think DS2 which has horror elements works well as a double  feature with a family friendly animation 

I don't think Disney cares. It's PG-13 not R. They'll make it second feature of the two so if it's too much, families can bail. And, if it's not too much, they'll watch the whole thing.

It's obvious Disney wants people to sign up for D+. Reasonable explanation as to why the post-credits scene to Black Widow was more or less bait for people to watch the Hawkeye show and now the plot for Multiverse of Madness revolving around the events from WandaVision.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

It's obvious Disney wants people to sign up for D+. Reasonable explanation as to why the post-credits scene to Black Widow was more or less bait for people to watch the Hawkeye show and now the plot for Multiverse of Madness revolving around the events from WandaVision.

It also had connective tissue to FATWS since that was suppose to be the first time we saw Elaine

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Doubt it, buzz is extremely quiet. Going to be another X for A24.

Yeh it can be hard for me to judge sometimes, because my social media timelines absolutely adored X and they’ve been pretty flooded with Men hype for past few weeks. 

X and Men both have excellent trailers so I’m surprised they’re not finding a wider audience. Oh well, The Black Phone should be able to get more casual viewers in. 

It just had a bad script. It would be one thing if people who hadn’t seen Wandavision walked away confused or unable to emotionally connect while the movie worked well for those who had seen WV, but that’s not what we have here. In some ways the movie works worse if you have seen the show — hard to conclude that the integration is flawed conceptually from an N of 1 with bungled execution.    

If Quantumania has issues for people who didn’t watch Loki or Marvels fall flat for people who skipped WV and/or Ms Marvel etc etc then we’ll have something to talk about.  

• Like 4

Just now, Krissykins said:

Yeh it can be hard for me to judge sometimes, because my social media timelines absolutely adored X and they’ve been pretty flooded with Men hype for past few weeks. 

X and Men both have excellent trailers so I’m surprised they’re not finding a wider audience. Oh well, The Black Phone should be able to get more casual viewers in. 

X was about the making of a dirty movie, which was always going to limit the number of people it was going to appeal to. Men also just seems like a difficult sell as well. The Black Phone has a much more clear and marketable premise, and the grosses will likely reflect that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

yeah its like way more people seen serenity then the tv show firefly.

Tv shows rarely get the mass viewership as a major blockbuster i think

True. Shows have to be phenomena to compare and very few are. GOT and Squid Game are few that normies around the world could name. But many twitter favorites such as The Boys or Marvel shows are dont-know-them. It's easy to lose touch with casual fans if you spend all your time in an echo chamber with others who watch everything from the same brand. 

That said, DS2 is a curious case where you have people confused by parts of the movie that reference WV, since they didn't watch, and people who hate DS2 because they find it a retcon of WV. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How was my post a fanwars post? I hate that fan wars nonsense. I guess we aren't allowed to say that MoM has mixed word of mouth and a bad second weekend drop. 

You didn’t get your post hidden because you said DS2 had a bad drop. You got it because you were trying to start something. You said that Marvel fans were “making excuses” and trying to spin the numbers, which I have not seen any evidence of. People here are giving their reasons why this week’s hold is poor, including Marvel stans and not trying to excuse this performance. Maybe there are one or two, but those seem very minor and it is my job to check what people are saying in these threads. Then afterwards you said “if it was a DC movie, then no one would make excuses lol”. That’s destined to ignite a petty, pointless fan war no matter what. I know from experience. I’m sure you didn’t intend to do it, but intentions don’t equal actions.

Please feel free to diss on DS2, its reception, and its holds to your heart’s content

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Lightyear is more in the vein of Incredibles 2, skewing a bit older, which did get DI pairings with Infinity War, where Thanos’s path to the stones had a fair amount of of death, culminating in half the people in the MCU (and entire universe) turning into dust. Not a exactly PG theme

• Like 1