Eric Lasagna

Nightbitch | December 6, 2024 | Searchlight | Amy Adams plays a mom who is slowly turning into a dog

https://deadline.com/2022/05/amy-adams-horror-nightbitch-acquired-by-searchlight-marielle-heller-directing-1235027790/

In a deal sources place at $25M+ for worldwide rights, Searchlight Pictures has acquired Annapurna’s darkly comic neo-horror film Nightbitch, starring six-time Academy Award nominee Amy Adams (Arrival), acquired in a competitive sale. Marielle Heller (Can You Ever Forgive Me?) has come aboard to direct the film, based on Rachel Yoder’s acclaimed debut novel, from her own script.

Nightbitch tells the story of a woman thrown into the stay-at-home routine of raising a toddler in the suburbs, who slowly embraces the feral power deeply rooted in motherhood, as she becomes increasingly aware of the bizarre and undeniable signs that she may be turning into a canine. Bond Group and Annapurna acquired film rights to Yoder’s book back in 2020 and developed the script alongside Heller. It marks a reemergence of Megan Ellison’s reconfigured Annapurna in the marketplace. The original plan was to launch sales in Cannes, but Searchlight has been all over it since Berlin. There were five offers but Searchlight won the day.

Adams and Stacy O’Neil (Dead Ringers) will produce via their Bond Group banner, alongside Heller for Defiant By Nature, Archer Gray’s Anne Carey (20th Century Women), Annapurna’s Megan Ellison (Booksmart), Christina Oh (Minari) and Adam Paulsen (Pig), and Sue Naegle (Shirley), with Annapurna’s Sammy Scher and Defiant By Nature’s Havilah Brewster serving as exec producers. Searchlight Production Heads DanTram Nguyen and Katie Goodson-Thomas will oversee the film along with SVP, Production Taylor Friedman and Manager, Creative Affairs Cameron Chidsey.

Nightbitch reunites Carey with Heller on the heels of their work together on the acclaimed features Can You Ever Forgive Me? and The Diary of a Teenage Girl for Searchlight and Sony Pictures Classics, respectively. The film will stream on Disney’s DTC platforms as a Hulu Original in the U.S., with additional release plans to be announced at a later date. Production kicks off in Los Angeles in September.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I’m glad it’s going to cinemas instead of Hulu obviously. 

But a $25m budget and a first weekend in December release date? Good luck to them.

I mean that's definitely not insurmountable, zero issue for Poor Things.

That said Heller movies typically are quieter and slower-paced, so I'm not certain of the GA appeal here. Beautiful Day numbers would be solid enough though.

I guess it's "The Shaggy Dog" for the new millinium/

"SHaggy Dog was a Disney comedy made in 1959 about a man who turns into a dog. It was a big hit,,,in fact it was the first of a sereis of comedies DIsney made that became big earners for disney until the 1970;s,

SO much for this being some new idea. NOthing is new under the sun......