Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

Man, it's so depressing seeing The Northman just get raped out of theaters

Eggers just did an interview with The Daily Beast where he talked about it a bit

https://www.thedailybeast.com/robert-eggers-feels-he-needs-to-restrategize-after-the-northman

He can blame the following....

- Focus/Universal for a TERRIBLE release date

- Awful, late starting marketing plan

- Himself / Covid for the giant budget overrun.  

- Universal/Comcast for their idiotic 17 day window

It's a fantastic film, but a very very challenging film that doesn't have a giant mainstream audience for it.  It's gory, it's bloody, it's gross and it's unsettling.  

I love that it got made, but it had zero shot to make it's budget back on a theatrical run.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's a fantastic film, but a very very challenging film that doesn't have a giant mainstream audience for it.  It's gory, it's bloody, it's gross and it's unsettling.  

I love that it got made, but it had zero shot to make it's budget back on a theatrical run.  

I would add to the marketing point that the little marketing it got was very misleading. People thought they would get a Gladiator-style revenge viking movie with big battle scenes and the movie really isnt that. Misleading marketing always leads to mediocre to bad WOM even if the movie itself is great.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

All great and all but where is the Saturday number we all want???

Im Waiting GIF

• Haha 2

Vikings are so popular on streaming and TV, I wonder if that’s what gave them the (wrong) idea to go so big with the budget. 

Anyway, it backfired and from that interview he seems annoyed with the VOD release being so early and depressed that people are watching it on laptops. 

Maybe Vikings are more suited to streaming shows. 

51 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Its trailer has near 1.6m dislikes to just 0.116m likes, thats nuts for such a big IP like this. I understand that some of it is brigading from people with an agenda but a lot of it is also from fans who genuinely did not like the looks of the show from the trailer. Amazon needs to readjust its marketing or it will have a very expensive failure on their hands. 

Same here, I was too fairly young too at the time to see them in theatres(plus being in India meant that I was not into Hollywood at that time). And my country is not very big on re-releases so I doubt I will ever get a chance to do so. 

Where are you getting the dislike count from?

50 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

A new “A Nightmare on Elm Street” with Robert Englund back as Freddy would make a killing

Pardon the pun. 

I really like the franchise, but it's so 80s (in the best way possible) I can't see it working with a modern take, remake didn't work because it didn't have that old magic and it was too serious. But The Conjuring crew should stay as far and away from it as possible, it's the exact opposite of what they do, unless Wan will direct it himself and pull The Malignant 2nd and 3rd act.

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

These 90 minutes episodes of Stranger Things are PAIN. 

Trudging through them right now. After what I thought was pretty good almost very good first episode this season, I'm not feeling it but I got nothing else to do so I'll finish it today. I didn't like the first two Obi Wan as much as hoped either. Oh, well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I would add to the marketing point that the little marketing it got was very misleading. People thought they would get a Gladiator-style revenge viking movie with big battle scenes and the movie really isnt that. Misleading marketing always leads to mediocre to bad WOM even if the movie itself is great.

That whole article really comes off as sour grapes whining.  You can absolutely make brutal, desolate movies that make a ton of money that the public will support in theaters.  The Revenant is an example of that.  

You better have the perfect release date, marketing, story, star and awards season push.  The Revenant made almost $600m world wide.  The difference is it was starring an A-List actor and had a story that connected completely with a wide audience despite being brutal and desolate.  Iñárritu isn't exactly the most accessable or entertaining director either, but he knocked it out of the park.  

The Daniels also figured out how to go from weird indie directors that came up with a Harry Potter farting coarpse to truly entertaining with Everything, Everywhere.  

Again, I fucking LOVE Eggers, but his style and films have a limited audience.  I know he doesn't want to play the studio game, but get fucking used to it dude.  Guys more talented than him have figured out how to deliver a money maker to keep the bosses happy so they could make 2 other movies they were passionate about.  Welcome to Hollywood.  If you don't like it, stick to indie film budgets and releases.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

There are movies that lean into practical effects done wrong too... Or, at least, done boringly to the point of being completely forgettable... Look no further than much of the stunts and action in the recent Bond movies. It goes both ways.

Just imagine the same action scenes done with The Rock's approach "everything is cheap rushed CGI, even The Rock himself" and you'll see the difference ;)

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm convinced Matrix 4 was an intentional self sabotage troll job by Lana Wachowski and its amazing that WB green lit that screenplay, especially after Jupiter Ascending.  The Matrix is down there with the Terminator franchise in terms of being so fucked up to the point that its unsalvageable.

I haven't seen directors getting so many second chances as the Wachowskis. Is amazing how every single movie they directed after Revolutions have been expensive and gigantic bombs. Speed Racer, Jupiter Ascending, Cloud Atlas, Matrix 4. Any of these could destroy anyone's carreer but here they are, still getting funding for their very expensive projects.

27 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

That whole article really comes off as sour grapes whining.  You can absolutely make brutal, desolate movies that make a ton of money that the public will support in theaters.  The Revenant is an example of that.  

You better have the perfect release date, marketing, story, star and awards season push.  The Revenant made almost $600m world wide.  The difference is it was starring an A-List actor and had a story that connected completely with a wide audience despite being brutal and desolate.  Iñárritu isn't exactly the most accessable or entertaining director either, but he knocked it out of the park.  

The Daniels also figured out how to go from weird indie directors that came up with a Harry Potter farting coarpse to truly entertaining with Everything, Everywhere.  

Again, I fucking LOVE Eggers, but his style and films have a limited audience.  I know he doesn't want to play the studio game, but get fucking used to it dude.  Guys more talented than him have figured out how to deliver a money maker to keep the bosses happy so they could make 2 other movies they were passionate about.  Welcome to Hollywood.  If you don't like it, stick to indie film budgets and releases.  

Yup. The studios pay to have the movie made. I guess the other option become rich enough to self fund your own movies. I think a lot of people forget Lucas funded the prequels 100% out of his pocket. I know SW is mainstream though, but point is Lucas did what he wanted with the prequels.