The Wild Eric

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

53 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Isn't there an outside chance of TGM finishing above DS2 Worldwide?

It's facing JW which is massive OS. Dom legs will be insane regardless but OS isn't so sure. Original movie skewed a bit dom with 180M vs 177M OS. So lets say such ratio repeats. If TG is to make 400-450M dom and 400-450M OS it would still fall short of DS2 which is already at 820M with enough steam to take it to at least mid-upper 900M.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Speed 3 genuinely feels like the only one which can be done and be a big hit.

It's got the actors who are still doing well even now and a lot of nostalgia for the original movie and everyone has decided to ignore that the second one exists.

Obvious setup is the Reeves and Bullock who haven't met since they broke up after the first Speed movie find themselves on the same cross country flight which is hijacked or something and only Reeves can save them now. Going back to a bus is likely not possible, no one wants to see a boat again, so flying is the only option.

Don't disagree, though could do same set-up on a runaway train rather than a plane, speeding towards a bridge set with explosives.

But the one I think has potential (hence the bold), would be Con Air, where Cusack is an aging vet involved in a hostage situation, where some hot shot agent has the reins and is being reckless/screwing it up, so he calls on his old buddy Cage to go undercover and diffuse from the inside

Also Happy Gilmore, with Shooter and Happy now as golfing coaches, each tutoring some young protege who are facing off in a big tournament

I would absolutely pay watch any of these fwiw

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I still can't wait for Avatar 2 and Jurassic World 3 and they both lean heavily on CG. I can't wait for MI 7.1 either and I'm sure that'll lean heavy on practical. I think there's a place for all of them when they're done right. And, with that, given most tentpole films are superhero films these days, outside of Batman and some others, it's kinda hard to not lean heavy into CG... But, again, don't half ass it. Make the sure the imagination is there and do it right. 

Most of modern blockbusters that lean heavy into CGI are half assed, especially MCU stuff and stuff with The Rock. It's not the genre, it's their choice to overuse CGI to absurd points and then rush it to release date to make it look even worse, add to that bland/generic cinematography as a shit cherry on top. Avatar 2 is a completely different beast because it's James Cameron and it's pushing an envelope. Jurassic World 3 is another half assed CGI fest example, that street chase scene is just embarassing.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sure. I just want them to be good movies though whether they lean on practical, CG or a nice marriage of both I don't care.

I still can't wait for Avatar 2 and Jurassic World 3 and they both lean heavily on CG. I can't wait for MI 7.1 either and I'm sure that'll lean heavy on practical. I think there's a place for all of them when they're done right. And, with that, given most tentpole films are superhero films these days, outside of Batman and some others, it's kinda hard to not lean heavy into CG... But, again, don't half ass it. Make the sure the imagination is there and do it right. 

So far as the action in Maverick as compared to other esteemed action flicks... It's remarkable but, no real fault of its own, it's the same aerial stuff over and over because that's really all it can be and it's the best ever at that which is truly awesome. But, of more recent stuff, I'll take Fallout, Fury Road, Raid 2, etc. because I just preferred the variety in each to Maverick. Heck, so far as Kosinski goes, I preferred the action in Tron Legacy too. Kosinski is an awesome action filmmaker. Just my preference. Oblivion has some great action beats too.

Oh snap! Dude directed Oblivion?

Truly underrated scifi flick. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Hell yeah, it was its own genre in the 90s

MV5BOTFiYzg1ZGUtNTZiOC00MWNmLWFiMmItZGNkAir_Force_One_1995_original_film_art_500

61y8OhHDGsL._AC_SL1000_.jpgMV5BYzhiNmY5M2YtYzcwYy00ODU3LWIyOGUtODYz

You know what I miss about 90s movies? Efficiency.

I recently rewatched The Fugitive, Air Force One, Con Air and a few other movies over the past few weekends since they are all on Freevee (IMDb TV). All of those movies dispense with the setup within 15 minutes, same with Spider-Man. Within 30 minutes we have the plot fully in motion and ready to kick off the second act.

Movies now won't dispense with the setup till 30 minutes and the second act won't kick in till an hour in. Like if The Fugitive was made now we would have 10-15 minutes of seeing Kimble and his wife in their day to day before the murder happens. Things are needlessly dragged out - it's how Lion King 2019 is 30+ minutes longer than the 1994 one despite being the same movie pretty much.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

One huge missed opportunity w as Matrix  4. Yeah I know it wasn’t an audience friendly movie but damn did that do no where near as good as it potentially could have. Hell it’s like it never even came out 

With a better release date, Hugo Weaving and Laurence Fishburne coming back and much better action/choreography/photography it could've done much better with mostly the same script, it's like what WB were thinking when they ignored all those obvious issues before cameras rolled.

• Like 1

I'm convinced Matrix 4 was an intentional self sabotage troll job by Lana Wachowski and its amazing that WB green lit that screenplay, especially after Jupiter Ascending.  The Matrix is down there with the Terminator franchise in terms of being so fucked up to the point that its unsalvageable.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Most of modern blockbusters that lean heavy into CGI are half assed, especially MCU stuff and stuff with The Rock. It's not the genre, it's their choice to overuse CGI to absurd points and then rush it to release date to make it look even worse, add to that bland/generic cinematography as a shit cherry on top. Avatar 2 is a completely different beast because it's James Cameron and it's pushing an envelope. Jurassic World 3 is another half assed CGI fest example, that street chase scene is just embarassing.

Yeah... That chase looks completely overdone but the movie overall still looks fun to me and appears will toss everything including the kitchen sink at the viewer. I didn't say that movies don't overuse CGI (pretty much all superhero movies are guilty of it save a few) I just said I'm game for whatever as long the action beats are inventive and flow nicely. There are movies that lean into practical effects done wrong too... Or, at least, done boringly to the point of being completely forgettable... Look no further than much of the stunts and action in the recent Bond movies. It goes both ways. 

Would it be cool to have a Thor like Arnie's Conan? Hell, yeah. Do I mind Waititi's candy colored silly nonsense? Not at all. I still think it is or can be a lot fun. Same goes for Gunn's Guardians and Suicide Squad. I think there's room for all for all of it. But, yes, definitely, especially superhero stuff and not just the Marvel stuff, lean way too heavy on it. That said, outside of some truly craptastic stuff here and there, I really enjoyed a lot of the action in Infinity War. And, I especially love, while overdone, the action in stuff like Baahubali and RRR from Rajamouli and the bonkers, cartoonish CG heavy action beats in Chow's Journey to the West and Kung Fu Hustle.

3 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Speaking of 2000s nostalgia, why not make new Harry Potter and LOTR movies? In both cases, it would be very easy to give the villains a comeback, that has now proven to be an ingenious writing choice on behalf of Hollywood:

Both Voldemort and Sauron ... could somehow return.

I hope they don't remake the LoTR movies, they are perfect. I know that many fans (me included) would love to see the Silmarillion turned into movie or TV series but instead we are getting that 2nd age adaptation (which honestly does not look good).

3 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

Edge of Tommorow sequel pls, the original deserved so much more

Yes! That was a great movie, not sure why it did not do better than what it did. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I hope they don't remake the LoTR movies, they are perfect. I know that many fans (me included) would love to see the Silmarillion turned into movie or TV series but instead we are getting that 2nd age adaptation (which honestly does not look good).

Yes! That was a great movie, not sure why it did not do better than what it did. 

Yeah... Edge of Tomorrow is awesome. Love that one too.

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

we are getting that 2nd age adaptation (which honestly does not look good).

Its been over 3 months since the teaser dropped and its crazy how, with the amount invested, Amazon hasn't released diddly squat since with only about 3 more months to go.  I still hope its good, but given what we've seen so far I'm not ruling out an epic turkey.

Edited by Ozymandias

12 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

LOTR is un-remakable if that is a word. Literally perfection. I will be forever sad that i am too young too have had the chance to experience these movies in the cinema when they came out.

12 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Edge of Tomorrow i think suffered from not-good-enough marketing and in general from the competition. Days of Future Past and Maleficent were stronger choices i think for many familys and an unknown original IP/movie always faces an uphill battle against such more well-known brands.

Worldwide, the World Cup 2014 cut into its grosses as well probably.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Its been over 3 months since the teaser dropped and its crazy how, with the amount invested, Amazon hasn't released diddly squat since with only about 3 more months to go.  I still hope its good, but given what we've seen so far I'm not ruling out an epic turkey.

Would be also a very expensive turd. 1 Billion budget for the whole thing if i remember correctly.