Eric Duncan

Thunderbolts* | May 2, 2025 | MCU

Yeah, this movie's getting scrapped. Yeun saw the writing on the wall with Quantumania falling flat on its face and The Marvels landing the killing blow, and wisely decided to take the money and run while he still could. I don't blame him at all. And frankly I have a feeling he won't be the last. Hopefully Marvel sees it too and hard reboots as soon as possible. Don't needlessly drag a dying world out like DC did.

• Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, this movie's getting scrapped. Yeun saw the writing on the wall with Quantumania falling flat on its face and The Marvels landing the killing blow, and wisely decided to take the money and run while he still could. I don't blame him at all. And frankly I have a feeling he won't be the last. Hopefully Marvel sees it too and hard reboots as soon as possible. Don't needlessly drag a dying world out like DC did.

You think that's more likely than losing a full year of production may have caused a scheduling issue? I don't think losing Yeun means production is now impossible.

Also, this would be the exact opposite of taking the money and running. He doesn't get paid for not appearing in the movie.

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

When are they cancelling this? 

Marvel is wasting time, energy and money on this. 

there are millions of people looking forward to the next apperance of... that one villain from Ant Man 2

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

When are they cancelling this? 

Marvel is wasting time, energy and money on this. 

Ironically their former golden boy James Gunn perfected the concept Marvel's going for right now with his Suicide Squad movie. Why even bother at this stage?

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Ironically their former golden boy James Gunn perfected the concept Marvel's going for right now with his Suicide Squad movie. Why even bother at this stage?

and that movie bombed too. when Suicide Squad bombs what are the chances for anyone else?

1 hour ago, InVy said:

and that movie bombed too. when Suicide Squad bombs what are the chances for anyone else?

Thunderbolts is also attached to a damaged brand like The Suicide Squad was. Not even rave reviews were enough to save that, so you're right, this movie has an insanely steep hill to climb.

Thunderbolts could have a chance if they had popular characters and a premise that's not just Great Value Suicide Squad. No one will show up in the theaters to see Black Widow replacement, Red Guardian and the villain of a movie from 7 years ago.

13 hours ago, Hades said:

Actors are starting to stay away from MCU bad scripts...

I don't know why you got a Winona reaction but this is true. Lots of actors passed on F4 because of the script. Yeun bolting out of Thunderbolts for the same reason would make perfect sense. His career is soaring and doesn't need this sinking ship. Since eevryone and their mother is in superhero genre whether MCU, DCEU, SCU, The Boys and knock-offs, etc these movies and shows are no more career boosters due to sheer number of actors with identical resumes. You actually stand out if you aren't associated with any of it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't know why you got a Winona reaction but this is true. Lots of actors passed on F4 because of the script. Yeun bolting out of Thunderbolts for the same reason would make perfect sense. His career is soaring and doesn't need this sinking ship. Since eevryone and their mother is in superhero genre whether MCU, DCEU, SCU, The Boys and knock-offs, etc these movies and shows are no more career boosters due to sheer number of actors with identical resumes. You actually stand out if you aren't associated with any of it. 

Are people just making shit up now? 

There isn't some secret reason why he dropped out: the new filming schedule conflicts with his. Why is that so implausible to you guys? Christ. Not everything is secretly a conspiracy.

Edited by SpiderByte

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Marvel's brand diminishing might also affect talent's perception, not just the average moviegoer's. This franchise is well on its way to being a sinking ship, and after seeing what just happened to the DCEU, a lot of actors might have second thoughts about joining it. It really could be because of scheduling conflicts, but I have a feeling Steven Yeun is in that camp, and won't be the last to go.

• Like 1

No, it doesn't. One actor having a schedule conflict does not mean the films cancelled, nor does it mean there will be a mass exodus of actors from Marvel. That's not a thing that happens.

Edited by SpiderByte