EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/13-16) // 6.9m TG2, 13m JW:D Mon //

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

The thing is, this 2nd weekend drop would always have been the ugliest drop for it because of the drop from the 18M-previews-inflated OW + Lightyears arrival/Top Guns strong run + partial loss of PLF's, all of wich will look slighty better only thanks to Fathers Day.

Meaning even with WOM beeing on the weaker side, it isnt a certainty that Dominion will have terrible overall legs. Even with a 49M weekend (which would be a tragic numer) and an assumed 8M Thursday, it stands at 239M after Sunday. Giving it a very mediocre 2,3 legs after that (i.e. after the 49M weekend) would mean a finish at 351M.

So imo, sadly 350M is up in the air. Neither a certainty to reach nor impossible to pass.

There still also the possibility that it performs better over the weekend than i have assumed here. Hope is not lost yet.

I think the biggest issue for JWD is the insane legs of TG2 going forward.  Theaters are taking on 2 new movies next week and another the follwing week leading into 4th of July and Thor.  

Most theaters are going to opt to keep multiple screens of TG2 in favor of cutting screens of JWD due to the legs with Father's Day this weekend and another patriotic holiday with the 4th of July coming up.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Tomorrow will be 9th time.

Ill probably finish at 12 or 13. Not enough money set aside for more lol.

I have no idea how you haven't gone insane lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Universal needs to take a break after this one. If they rush into another one soon, you're going to start to see Age of Extinction & The Last Knight type stuff.

Yes, it needs a good 5-6 years hiatus.

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yes, it needs a good 5-6 years hiatus.

Honestly, I'm still thinking 10 years. You have to let demand simmer and build again. JW exploded because of the 14 year gap, same with TFA and its 10 year gap. The best way to fix divisive reception is breaks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I have no idea how you haven't gone insane lol

It helps (duh) that i really like the movie for what it is. Im just so so easy to please when it comes to these movies.

Also, besides seeing it and Top Gun for another 2 or 3 times probably, i just love getting back to regularly going to the theater. I really missed that for the last 2 years.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I would also guess, but haven't looked, that Comcast further fucks the legs of JWD by announcing it coming to Peacock right at 45 days.  

I believe Comcast said it and Minions would get a slightly longer window, like how Bad Guys got 70 days.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Honestly, I'm still thinking 10 years. You have to let demand simmer and build again. JW exploded because of the 14 year gap, same with TFA and its 10 year gap. The best way to fix divisive reception is breaks.

I see your point and im also inclined to agree, but 10 year is ... a really long time. Hell, by 2032 the world could have ended lol and im only 99% sarcastic there. I just dont think Universal would let their biggest moneymaker franchise rest so long.

Lightyear is having one of the best walk-up sales for a movie that I've seen in the last 5 years

But still, I think it's going to be a big underperformer. 

I feel like Jurassic is going to benefit greatly from Father's Day so It might be able to avoid -65%+ drop. 

Overall, I think we are headed towards a "meh" weekend

Edited by motionpic05
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

Lightyear is having one of the best walk-up sales for a movie that I've seen in the last 5 years

I feel like Jurassic is going to benefit greatly from Father's Day so It might be able to avoid -65%+ drop. 

TGM will hold much better than last week.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

Yeah im also thinking this weekend will overall be a disappointing one. Would be very sad since its like a perfect combination for good holds cause of Fathers Day and Juneteenth.

Lets hope we'll see stronger than expected Friday increases.

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Tomorrow will be 9th time.

Ill probably finish at 12 or 13. Not enough money set aside for more lol.

Is a BOT Go Fund Me Page an option here?  I've seen worse Go Fund Me Pages asking for money.  This might actually be a worthy cause IMO.  😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So i was curious and heres a fun fact:

Even if Lightyear, Dominion and Top Gun all have disappointing numbers this weekend, i think we can all agree that they will all gross 30M+ Friday-Sunday. So ive searched for the last weekend where 3 movies did exactly that, at least 30M+ on the same weekend, and it was:

November 23-25, 2018 with

1. Ralph Breaks the Internet - 56,2M

2. Creed II - 35,5M

3. The Grinch - 30,3M.

• Like 2