EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/13-16) // 6.9m TG2, 13m JW:D Mon //

Secured my tickets for LY tomorrow early evening in Dolby (my preferred choice of premium screen) so even if it's mid-level Pixar at least it's gonna look and sound great.

Not certain I buy into this meh weekend nonsense just yet. I think, because of the NBA game tonight, Friday numbers are gonna be great! I also think some folks will take off for a four day weekend. And, if the NBA finals concludes tonight, Father's Day hold will be awesome. But, I know I'm a broken record, it's a holiday weekend. If there's a Game 7, Monday's numbers will be better than they would've been without a Game 7 Sunday. TGM is gonna hold great. JWD will drop big but not horribly. LY won't be enormous but will have a very, very good three/four day.

Congrats to Doctor Strange to crossing 400M once the Wednesday numbers were made official.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Juby said:

No. People just need to realize that the 2nd weekend and the weekdays after that were inflated because people wanted to see Maverick in PLF cinemas before JWD take them (and there was no competition at all). Now, without them, with smaller number of theaters and competition getting stronger and stronger every week, TGM will have to face reality of slighty harsher drops.

TDK isn't the best example, but you can compare TGM to WW or JW, or the first Avengers. $600m will be very difficult to achieve.

Then what’s your final prediction for this? Let’s not lose hope just yet. It’s not that it’s disappointed.

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's indicating that the GA isn't as enthusiastic as the uber-fans from this weekend, when everyone was discussing exits vs the A- score...

I think the uber-fans weren't enthusiastic either, that A- score (as was discussed at length in the weekend thread) is likely just an aberration. It's just like in political polling, sometimes you get individual poll results that are just super wack. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I think the uber-fans weren't enthusiastic either, that A- score (as was discussed at length in the weekend thread) is likely just an aberration. It's just like in political polling, sometimes you get individual poll results that are just super wack. 

So what you're saying, is that it was indeed a sampling error

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So what you're saying, is that it was indeed a sampling error

Yes. As I and others argued in the weekend thread there was a lot of other evidence that was inconsistent with the Cinemascore, and the holds so far only seem to bear that out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bless the rain and the bad weather. Today was likely the biggest day of the year for theaters here. JW3 straight up exploded into first place for today with sellouts the entire day, Top Gun continues the crazy run with the help that it returned to IMAX, selling out the shows in the format (I finally got to see it in IMAX myself and it was glorious), and Lightyear got a hold of the families that couldn't enjoy sunny weather outside (pre sales were horrible but walkups were amazing once people realized they couldn't do anything outside). Really great day. Hopefully the bad weather carries over to the weekend. Elvis and Black Phone are fucked next weekend tho, between good weather certainly making a return and loads of people going to theaters this weekend which certainly aren't returning just 7 days later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Bless the rain and the bad weather. Today was likely the biggest day of the year for theaters here. JW3 straight up exploded into first place for today with sellouts the entire day, Top Gun continues the crazy run with the help that it returned to IMAX, selling out the shows in the format (I finally got to see it in IMAX myself and it was glorious), and Lightyear got a hold of the families that couldn't enjoy sunny weather outside (pre sales were horrible but walkups were amazing once people realized they couldn't do anything outside). Really great day. Hopefully the bad weather carries over to the weekend. Elvis and Black Phone are fucked next weekend tho, between good weather certainly making a return and loads of people going to theaters this weekend which certainly aren't returning just 7 days later.

I always knew Portugal is a great country

• Haha 1

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I always knew Portugal is a great country

I think the wide appeal of adults and families really helped in a holiday in mid June with nothing else to do because of the rain.

• Like 1

Good news for the folks wanting no game 7. Golden State beating up on the Boston at the moment. 1 more half to go and Golden State will win another title. No hindrance of game 7 on Father's Day Sunday.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

Good news for the folks wanting no game 7. Golden State beating up on the Boston at the moment. 1 more half to go and Golden State will win another title. No hindrance of game 7 on Father's Day Sunday.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:11 AM, CJohn said:

I hope Game 7 doesn't happen for the sake of the Father's day holds.

@CJohn You may "Rest" in peace.