EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/13-16) // 6.9m TG2, 13m JW:D Mon //

So TGM has done it. It outgrossed Transformers 2 for the second highest grossing film distributed by Paramount, DOM-wise of all time. Highest grossing Paramount movie DOM, currently still being Titanic. 💁🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 4

So are you guys saying that 14.7 is a bad number for Jurassic world? If it is what exactly were you expecting it to go up by on tuesday?

53 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Is Dominion losing IMAX screens today? I remember reading that Lightyear has special IMAX shows starting today.

Lightyear took over the IMAX near me for a 6:00 PM showing tonight. There is not a 9 or 10 PM show in IMAX for Lightyear, Dominion or TGM so it’s weird if that screen is empty for the second show tonight.

On Friday, Lightyear is only playing in IMAX for the first matinee showing. Dominion has the screen for the rest of the day.

Edited by LonePirate

53 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Is Dominion losing IMAX screens today? I remember reading that Lightyear has special IMAX shows starting today.

I think its just 1 show tonight. it has 1 imax shows in the morning slot for weekend and rest JWD keeps. However Lightyear seem to get Dolby either all day or all but evening shows. So it has some PLF though nowhere close to what it could have been. 

1 hour ago, Alex SciChannel said:

My hope at least.

Mon: 12.7M

Tue: 14.78M +16.4%

Wed: 11.45M -22.5%

Thurs: 10.02M -12.5% 

(194.02M total)

Weekend: 61M 

(255.02M total)

No way it just drops 22.5% today. its BO was boosted by Tmobile/atom deal. That is why tuesday increase was better than normal for a 1st tuesday. Let us see how things go this evening. 

Edit: plus the 500 early shows for lightyear will probably cost some dough. We will know once EC or Charlie provides an estimate. 

Edited by keysersoze123

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Half and half split, Dominion loses mornings but keeps evenings, except for preview night I think.

24 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I don't know if it's has already been discussed but, what are the chances Top Gun Maverick returns to IMAX either next week or July 1 (split with Minions)?

Haven’t heard any confirmation, but I think there’s a good chance TGM sneaks in at least one IMAX show/day on the 6/24 weekend, as Elvis isn’t getting the full IMAX treatment (my local one one isn’t playing it all)

Complicating matters is that they’ll all be grossing in the same ballpark on that weekend, Elvis is super long (3hr+ w/previews), and with audience & age skews, really only JWD will draw in a decent crowd for the late show. Could see a triple or quad split in some markets, with Elvis, TGM & JWD getting at least 1 show, with LY or Elvis taking the 4th. Or maybe even just JWD & TGM

58 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

On Friday, Lightyear is only playing in IMAX for the first matinee showing. Dominion has the screen for the rest of the day.

I don't go to IMAX/PLF shows, and everything about the Lightyear/Dominion sharing drives me bananas. Lightyear was specifically formatted for IMAX showings. The first of its kind for an animated movie...and yet it's only available in IMAX for like one 12:30 show per day on its opening weekend. It's so stupid, especially since the hardcore fans who wanted to see Dominion in IMAX already have at this point.

It still baffles me that the major chains haven't announced any IMAX/PLF expansions, since it's clear there's tons of demand from people to see it in PLFs that isn't being supplied nearly as much as it should. Two IMAX theaters in the major multiplexes (and also two theaters for the other PLFs) would mean demand for the format is satisfied and you can show more than one movie all throughout the day instead of just this unfair sharing process.

1 hour ago, Eric Lightyear said:

I don't go to IMAX/PLF shows, and everything about the Lightyear/Dominion sharing drives me bananas. Lightyear was specifically formatted for IMAX showings. The first of its kind for an animated movie...and yet it's only available in IMAX for like one 12:30 show per day on its opening weekend. It's so stupid, especially since the hardcore fans who wanted to see Dominion in IMAX already have at this point.

It still baffles me that the major chains haven't announced any IMAX/PLF expansions, since it's clear there's tons of demand from people to see it in PLFs that isn't being supplied nearly as much as it should. Two IMAX theaters in the major multiplexes (and also two theaters for the other PLFs) would mean demand for the format is satisfied and you can show more than one movie all throughout the day instead of just this unfair sharing process.

Agree completely on the last half 

But for the first half, there is a known limited supply, and yet studios are content to stack IMAX/PLF releases on top of each other, and having to share. There were 4 in a row in Oct, 2 (?) for the next 6 weeks before TGM; now we have 5 (4.5 really) in a row for June/July, and 6/7 if you include TG, before the calendar eases up a bit 

Will also add: even though JWD has higher IMAX grossing potential than LY for this weekend, Disney pretty much gets what they want, so that they were ultimately content with the 1st show only says … something, whether it’s about LY specifically,  Pixar generally, or dependence on IMAX, isn’t clear  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Brazil vs. Germany would be the biggest because of their combined historic success and because of their relative sizes within two different regions - the largest European country that can realistically make it vs the largest country in the Americas that can realistically make it.

Portugal vs Argentina would be the biggest if the global sports world consumed "hype" and "storylines" like ESPN thought they did, though.

Brazil vs Germany and Portugal vs Argentina are great contenders for this, the arguments are solid for both. But I think a Brazil vs Argentina final would be the most talked about (especially in the "3rd world") and the one bringing the most passion into it. Brazil vs Argentina is the biggest derby in football and they both have the largest fanbases worldwide by a decent margin IMO. Maybe in the US it's would not be so special, but worldwide I think it would generate more hype than any other game.

Not saying that final couldn't happen, but if Brazil and Argentina winning their groups, they will meet in the semi-final as they are on the same side of the draw. Semis always better than finals anyway, so I'm up for that.

Edited by The Dark Alfred