Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

I think I ve already said this but I was very surprised to discover this movie seems to be a giant VFX undertaking with 5 houses involved like a Marvel Studios movie.

Weird.

There is nothing in the Hugh Glass story that calls for a lot of fancy VFX except maybe for the fight with the Grizzly because that would be hard to do halfway realsitically with practical effects. (They really "cheat" on the scene in the Man In The Wilderness(the 1972 Richard Harris heavily fictionlized version of the Hugh Glass story) by doing it with a lot of very quick shots so you never really see exactlyvwhat is going on).

But Five VFX Houses......God, they spent as much on one Grizzly bear as Jackson spens on the siege of Minas Tirith. That's one hell of a expensive Griz.......

Look, I think the film looks incredible,but gobsmacked that they spent that kind of money on it.

Edited by dudalb

I watched Man In The Wilderness last week and liked it. The film wasn't action-packed all the time but several scenes were pretty impressive and it had an interesting twist. After watching it I'm even more looking forward to The Revenant which - judging from the trailers - will have enough action.

If you are looking at the story of Hugh Glass as a non stop action film, you are sadly mistaken.

It's a survival against Nature story with a few action scenes. Similiar to "The Martian" really.

Which is why Fox sending out the trailer with "The Martian" made perfect sense.

Edited by dudalb

If you are looking at the story of Hugh Glass as a non stop action film, you are sadly mistaken.

It's a survival against Nature story with a few action scenes. Similiar to "The Martian" really.

Which is why Fox sending out the trailer with "The Martian" made perfect sense.

Yes, probably. As I said, I liked Man In The Wilderness as it is. I'm not even sure if more action would have matched. Probably not.

SPOILER ALERT

I like the personal change Bass goes through.

END OF SPOILER

My idea was that Man In The Wilderness got mostly positive reviews (I looked at amazon.de and rotten tomatoes) but those who didn't like it said it was too „lame“. And I think in our days people want to see something with action even more than then (in 1972). So I think The Revenant will have enough but not non stop action scenes to attract moviegoers. In my opinion the story itself is interesting enough.

Edited by el sid

I think they got around the idea that it was "too tame" by changing significant story points which make it more a black and white revenge tale than one about survival.

Which would make it less appealing for me.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Agreed. 

But with this budget, even when it was a mere $60m it makes sense fiscal if not artistic sense.

Another issue is the film uses real names (whereas the Harris film used fictional names) and one of the people who abandoned Glass after the Grizzly attack (I don't use the spoiler because the trailer clearly shows the decision to abandon Glass) became a very famous figure in the American West. Sort of lessens the tension of the revenge plot.

• Like 1

Now that they have to promote the movie everyone is gonna give the vague "amusing" stories about the troubled shooting. In a couple of years we are gonna hear about the crazy stuff like if Tom Hardy tried to kill Inarritu with an axe or sth.

• Like 1