EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lost a nearby indie theater and it's loss feels massive. Crimes of the Future would be playing here (3 blocks away from where I live) for over a month but right now the nearest theater still showing it is almost 10 miles away and it's the biggest cinema here in the Bay area. At least I get to watch Benediction this weekend I guess.

Indie theatres are the best. Especially when you can see the love and passion the owners have for movies. I don’t know what I’d do if my local indie place shut down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We'll have to wait and see. For all we know Lightyear could be an outlier with a confusing concept (a Toy Story spin-off that's not really a spin-off but the movie Andy saw in 1995 that made him want to buy the toy we all know and love?) and Elemental mark a return to financial form for the studio. The fact it's selling well for the night shows (something that I doubt will happen with Minions in two weeks, the notable decline of the last one five years ago was already an indication that the adult audiences that helped power that franchise to blockbuster levels were already starting to check out) means that maybe, just maybe, the legs will be fine and it won't be all doom and gloom. Luckily the limited number of movies this summer overall means it's not going to be pushed out for a while.

To be fair, I think with Minions it’ll overindex in the day and underperform at night as again it’s skewing far younger and likely draw more families than Lightyear in exchange for less GA to compensate. Unlike Lightyear, Minions doesn’t need good reviews and WOM to succeed, all it needs are kids.

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I understand it perfectly well.  It seems like you are the one that actually doesn't understand it in this case and think that it only is "locked" once it hits the number in question.  

Well, formally, yeah. Never know when ole Putin might get bored of this world.   

Colloquially it's pretty reasonable to round to 100 and describe as locked at this point but you have specifically maintained that is not what you want to be understood as doing when I asked!

There is also going to be an element at play here that everyone from AMC down to local chains are going to be more than happy to stick it to and step on a Disney film for once when next week comes.  

I would bet that many theaters cut down to 1 screen of Lightyear in favor of continuing to hold multiple screens of TG2 and even JWD along with giving Elvis more room due to its length and potential popularity.  

Minions the following week is really going to cut Lightyears guts out along with 4th of July being good for TG2 and JWD.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

What kind of drop is Bad Guys looking at? Is the weekend over or under 1M?

Below 1M would be pretty weird with the dailies/holidays. Show loss wasn't *that* dramatic

10 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Just like I told you last night, you don't seem to understand that word but we don't really disagree on the facts per se -- it's very likely.

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I understand it perfectly well.  It seems like you are the one that actually doesn't understand it in this case and think that it only is "locked" once it hits the number in question.  

jack nicholson shut up GIF

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Well, formally, yeah. Never know when ole Putin might get bored of this world.   

Colloquially it's pretty reasonable to round to 100 and describe as locked at this point but you have specifically maintained that is not what you want to be understood as doing when I asked!

I think maybe the miscommunication is I'm using "Locked" in the gambling sense, as in a "stone cold lock".  

Yes, I know that nothing is 100% until it happens in a literal sense, but barring nuclear war TG2 is 1000% locked in the sense of the statment.  Hope that helps clear it up.  

• Like 5

genuinely think the turning red decision helped kill lightyear even worse. Like if Luca was the last one, that’d be a full year ago, still before Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Jungle Cruise even space jam 2, it wouldn’t be nearly as rough. The devaluation of Pixar was refreshened with that for sure idk I’m stuck on the el sorry this is rambly 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Like I told you last night, it's locked and has been locked for weeks.  $600m is a done deal.  It's about to have like a 10% drop.  

Bow down to my man Tommy Cruise.  

Not impressed.  Avatar was on the table until the new dino product kicked it in the balls.

7 hours ago, cookie said:

Are we sure Disney even expects that much from Strange World theatrically considering what they already pulled in France? Not sure if losing minor markets because "Oh noes! A gay!" is going to change much.

What did Disney "pull" in France?

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

genuinely think the turning red decision helped kill lightyear even worse. Like if Luca was the last one, that’d be a full year ago, still before Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Jungle Cruise even space jam 2, it wouldn’t be nearly as rough. The devaluation of Pixar was refreshened with that for sure idk I’m stuck on the el sorry this is rambly 

It's not rambly and you are correct.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

Not impressed.  Avatar was on the table until the new dino product kicked it in the balls.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet!  

I am on record that TG2 will still be playing in theaters until nearly October.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I think maybe the miscommunication is I'm using "Locked" in the gambling sense, as in a "stone cold lock".  

Yes, I know that nothing is 100% until it happens in a literal sense, but barring nuclear war TG2 is 1000% locked in the sense of the statment.  Hope that helps clear it up.  

Actually yes, that does help, and I will consider this cleared up and resolved. Thank you.