EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

Damn man.   Pretty disappointed for "Lightyear" but since it's a Prequel/Spin Off, I give it a slight pass but I honestly never liked the release date.  Way to close to "Jurassic".  I know they didn't want to be on the heels of "Minions" but next week would been a better date.  I looked back at the "Jurassic World/Inside Out" Dynamic 7 years ago so that was interesting to research again (Considering it lost to Jurassic 2nd Frame with a 90 OW, it seems history is repeating itself.  Pixar should of moved away from Jurassic)   But I was thinking a Toy Story film could do 100 Million not less than 80 even with the Competition. 

I still think this was a healthy box office weekend overall.   Families and Adults had choices.   But I think "Lightyear" sadly isn't the best "Father's Day" film per say.   "Jurassic" and "Top Gun" are much stronger choices for Fathers this weekend even with them being out already.  (Most Dads Aged 35 and up would choose those films and most children would take their Dads to those films).   Well see how the final numbers turn out.    I have nothing else to say about "Top Gun".   This is the box office story of the year thus far after beating Strange Domestic and even Jurassic will have a hard time catching up.    

Edited by filmscholar

10 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

You have to hand it to DIS, their ability to drag iconic characters through the mud is almost impressive.

Wait until you see what they have in store this December for your blue friends....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, The Dark Rock said:

JWD keeps increasing for Friday and Saturday from early estimates. $22m is even better.

At this point, i think its fair to say that while WOM may not be great for Dominion, its also not bad at all. We woudnt see these steady increases if the GA would think its a real stinker. Makes me a bit more opimistic regarding later legs.

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Wait until you see what they have in store this December for your blue friends....

We dont have to worry there since the "iconic" part is important in that statement.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Thankfully Disney doesn't have the power to ruin Avatar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

We dont have to worry there since the "iconic" part is important in that statement.

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Good thing then that Blue People are not iconic.

Box Office Theory Forum by the way, where do you think we are?

Edited by IronJimbo

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

You have to hand it to DIS, their ability to drag iconic characters through the mud is almost impressive.

I mean, we're literally seeing Universal doing the same right now with Jurassic World. Saw them do it with Halloween Ends and it's sequel coming to it this autumn. And, I'd imagine you could apply the same to the next Puss in Boots flick which is also Universal and releases this December. Oh, yeah, Minions, a Gru prequel and the 6th film in that series is also Universal. So... This isn't at all a characteristic isolated to Disney.

Avatar is now Disney so once the sequel's out, brace for those "iconic characters" to be dragged too I guess if you feel that that's inevitable. The next installments in the series after the second one will come fast and furious and, likely due to be rushed, diminish in quality and drag certain characters to try to retain high level box office.

Nobody thought they wanted a Top Gun sequel either as it could seen as desperately milking an iconic property 36 years after the first one.

But, if the movie's good or, in the case of JWD, has dinos and is really the lone dino franchise to ever be taken seriously by moviegoers, they'll make a lot of money.

I think the leaning into ideas in stuff like Interstellar, Moon and Ad Astra was a poor choice for trying to sell tickets especially to families and it isn't executed well enough to get the critics and film twitter on board, so LY isn't clicking at all. The base premise is odd but really an excuse to make a very sci-fi movie much more so than a pandering movie purely constructed to sell the most tickets possible. That would be Minions. And, there's nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

You do understand we have only half a year left for the "Avatar has had no cultural impact"-jokes probably so better make them now!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, setna said:

660 fot TGM??
what kind of weekly drops do you expect for such a number?

That’s about 25% drops on avg. Realistically I think it will hold worse than that next week (because this one is inflated), better the week after (because of the 4th) and worse 3 from now (because of Thor&coming down from the 4th). 

• Like 1

The best thing about this weekend is the industry consensus is growing that Bob Chapek has returned Disney to the late 90's and 00's when their direct to video animation severly damaged their brand in a way that was only recovered by Pixar first saving it and then subsequently Disney Animation got its groove back with quality theatrical releases.  

Pixar films for over 20 years Pixar films were highly anticipated and a level of quality that was unmatched.  In 2 years Bob Chapek and Kareem Daniel have flushed that down the toilet and made it something similar to waiting for Lilo and Stitch: Stitch Has A Glitch or Bambi II to hit DVD and distract your kids with for a couple of hours and forget it.  

LOL that ol' Bob / Kareem / Disney are about to get kicked in the teeth in 2022 by movies like Sonic 2 and Minions: The Rise of Gru while their $200m budget Pixar film is an afterthought.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If box office equaled iconic, we’d be on Iconic Theory Forum. Doesn’t seem to be the case ;)   

8 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

At this point, i think its fair to say that while WOM may not be great for Dominion, its also not bad at all. We woudnt see these steady increases if the GA would think its a real stinker. Makes me a bit more opimistic regarding later legs.

It was never BAD, Jurassic World Dominion is a disappointing movie for me and general audience, mainly because it is the first movie in the franchise which is a movie with dinosaurs in it, rather than a movie about Dinosaurs.

But it is still a movie with Dinosaurs so should have decent run, but obviously not what its potential was if it was the movie about dinosaurs.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1

Anyway, every studio runs their iconic characters into the ground. It’s more obvious with Dis since they have more iconic characters left standing.   

And most (for all studios) can have their status regenerate after a decade or two or dormancy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, we're literally seeing Universal doing the same right now with Jurassic World. Saw them do it with Halloween Ends and it's sequel coming to it this autumn. And, I'd imagine you could apply the same to the next Puss in Boots flick which is also Universal and releases this December. Oh, yeah, Minions, a Gru prequel and the 6th film in that series is also Universal. So... This isn't at all a characteristic isolated to Disney.

Avatar is now Disney so once the sequel's out, brace for those "iconic characters" to be dragged too I guess if you feel that that's inevitable. The next installments in the series after the second one will come fast and furious and, likely due to be rushed, diminish in quality and drag certain characters to try to retain high level box office.

Nobody thought they wanted a Top Gun sequel either as it could seen as desperately milking an iconic property 36 years after the first one.

But, if the movie's good or, in the case of JWD, has dinos and is really the lone dino franchise to ever be taken seriously by moviegoers, they'll make a lot of money.

I think the leaning into ideas in stuff like Interstellar, Moon and Ad Astra was a poor choice for trying to sell tickets especially to families and it isn't executed well enough to get the critics and film twitter on board, so LY isn't clicking at all. The base premise is odd but really an excuse to make a very sci-fi movie much more so than a pandering movie purely constructed to sell the most tickets possible. That would be Minions. And, there's nothing wrong with that. 

I personally disagree with the part regarding JWD. For all its flaws, Dominion honors the old characters really well. Actually, from what i see in general online, the handling of Alan, Ellie and Ian generally gets positive remarks even from people who otherwise dislike the film.

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

The best thing about this weekend is the industry consensus is growing that Bob Chapek has returned Disney to the late 90's and 00's when their direct to video animation severly damaged their brand in a way that was only recovered by Pixar first saving it and then subsequently Disney Animation got its groove back with quality theatrical releases.  

Pixar films for over 20 years Pixar films were highly anticipated and a level of quality that was unmatched.  In 2 years Bob Chapek and Kareem Daniel have flushed that down the toilet and made it something similar to waiting for Lilo and Stitch: Stitch Has A Glitch or Bambi II to hit DVD and distract your kids with for a couple of hours and forget it.  

LOL that ol' Bob / Kareem / Disney are about to get kicked in the teeth in 2022 by movies like Sonic 2 and Minions: The Rise of Gru while their $200m budget Pixar film is an afterthought.  

They need to bring back Iger.

8 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Also Jim is the icon, not Avatar (not yet anyway). DIS couldn't drag him down a slope.