EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

Instead of making a real-world hero that inspire Buzzlightyear, Pixar should make a spin off movie about how the toys in the toy story franchise are alive? 

Pixar should just keep doing what they're doing. Soul, Luca and Turning Red were either liked, very liked or loved. Lightyear is a misfire for a number of reasons. But, really, idearlly, they'll just give the Toy Story characters a hiatus. I know Toy Story 4 probably made them feel invulnerable as that was completely unnecessary but did great with critics and audiences. Lightyear as least makes that decision much easier now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Well, yes, because Jim decided to film them back to back (up to chapter 3 and parts of subsequent chapters), even before Disney had much to do with the franchise.

I see... But, they will on the next two sequels to follow first two sequels I assume?

1 hour ago, setna said:

Ok, thanks for answer.
I see it difficult to get 600, so 660 is really hard IMO, but for sure, i´d be happy to see these amazing holds in the next week, for me there is nothing more exciting in BO tracking than these kind of long leggy runs.

$600M shouldn't be that difficult. Wonder Woman added $94.4M after its $25M 4th weekend. If TGM even matches that it would add $163M off of a $43M 4th weekend. That would put it at $628M. Keep in mind that so far, TGM has held better than Wonder Woman.

Edited by ZurgXXR
  • Like 6

A rather sad weekend because of LY, offset by TGM awesome hold and not as bad as people fear numbers from JWD. And in fact, I think 400m total for JWD is still on table because the second half of the July and August were quite empty and should allow some crazy late legs benefiting JWD.   

Highlight of the trailers before Lightyear was definitely a new one for Where the Crawdads Sing that basically consists of Reese and Daisy Edgar-Jones praising the book and getting a chance to make a movie out of it and going all "we're so blessed we got Taylor Swift for the soundtrack" for two minutes (while making barely any mention of the plot, which revolves around a murder).

• ...wtf 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Highlight of the trailers before Lightyear was definitely a new one for Where the Crawdads Sing that basically consists of Reese and Daisy Edgar-Jones praising the book and getting a chance to make a movie out of it and going all "we're so blessed we got Taylor Swift for the soundtrack" for two minutes (while making barely any mention of the plot, which revolves around a murder).

That seems like a really dumb marketing idea

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

That seems like a really dumb marketing idea

It was a preview obviously designed for the moms seeing Lightyear (plus Sony having nothing else to attach to movies at the moment aside from Bullet Train, which is likely to be rated R). Given what a sensation the book was (three years on the New York Times Best Sellers list), not entirely out of place.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Haha! Yeah. I thought the same while that trailer was on. 

51 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I see... But, they will on the next two sequels to follow first two sequels I assume?

My point is they had a plan, all the scripts have been pretty much written a long time ago. This is not a case of Disney coming in and mandating anything or putting pressure on them. This is an auteur led project, not a studio initiative. And knowing James Cameron he probably wouldn't put up with any such bullshit, he's at a point in his career where he doesn't need to.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elessar said:

My point is they had a plan, all the scripts have been pretty much written a long time ago. This is not a case of Disney coming in and mandating anything or putting pressure on them. This is an auteur led project, not a studio initiative. And knowing James Cameron he probably wouldn't put up with any such bullshit, he's at a point in his career where he doesn't need to.

Yes, Cameron would walk and they’d lose out. Remember Disney almost secured the first Avatar and Fox came to their senses. 

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Crawdads is to middle-aged moms what Top Gun was to middle-aged dads. Easy billion, you heard it here first

5 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

$15.65M Saturday according to the-numbers. Friday updated to $11.05M

-15% drop.

15%.

Holiday-inflated sure, but still ... just mind-boggling.

35 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

$600M shouldn't be that difficult. Wonder Woman added $94.4M after its $25M 4th weekend. If TGM even matches that it would add $163M off of a $43M 4th weekend. That would put it at $628M. Keep in mind that so far, TGM has held better than Wonder Woman.

Sorry, but i don´t get the comparision you made.. If WW made 94 more, why TGM should make 163 more?
Can you explain it, please?

2 minutes ago, setna said:

Sorry, but i don´t get the comparision you made.. If WW made 94 more, why TGM should make 163 more?
Can you explain it, please?

Because WW had 25m while TG2 has 43m in their 4th weekend? It's an easy math.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Crawdads is to middle-aged moms what Top Gun was to middle-aged dads. Easy billion, you heard it here first

Ummmm, I'm not really there with you on that...1B WW for Crawdads would be a bigger shock this year than TGM's run by a mile...like that number is not even in my "possible" category for that movie...

• Haha 1

I know some find it difficult to differentiate between box office and the quality of the film, but Lightyear’s performance is down to Disney and not the movie Pixar made. 
That Pixar decided to make an origin Buzz like he was real, and not a spin-off from the toy Buzz is not a bad thing. It’s what they did. I 100% believe the movie would have done a ton better were it not for Chapek and co’s actions these past couple of years. 

we took my nephew to see it today. He’s 4 and a half and loves Toy Story. He absolutely loved it. Is currently running around the house since we got back dressed in his Buzz play suit. He’s brought his Zurg and Buzz toys down too.  

The movie is more than good enough to be doing better than it is. But….I agree, the brand has taken a hit from Disney+ moronic decisions. Which is tragic.