Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

How things changed since then though :ph34r:

Yep, it also seems the President's aproval is the highest here. Very shocking.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-politics/brazils-bolsonaro-approval-rating-at-highest-despite-coronavirus-poll-idUSKCN25A1JX

On the other hand, theaters will reopen on August 27th.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

I'm worried about how the pandemic will affect the theatrical market in Brazil.

As you can see in the first box on the first page, in 1975 we reached 3,276 screens but it started declining and was at only 1,000 screens by the 90s. Only in 2017 we went back to that level.

In recent years we started having theaters in small cities again. And the market for art house theaters was getting hot, with distributors for independent films (local and international) becoming a lucrative business.

It would be sad if the market started diminishing again.

On top of this crisis, the current government is at war with the cultural industries. If theaters and distributors need help to recover they won't get it. On the contrary, the government is already targeting the struggling book industry and announced books will start getting taxed despite the Constitution making books exempt from taxes.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:05 AM, Napoleon said:

I'm worried about how the pandemic will affect the theatrical market in Brazil.

As you can see in the first box on the first page, in 1975 we reached 3,276 screens but it started declining and was at only 1,000 screens by the 90s. Only in 2017 we went back to that level.

In recent years we started having theaters in small cities again. And the market for art house theaters was getting hot, with distributors for independent films (local and international) becoming a lucrative business.

It would be sad if the market started diminishing again.

On top of this crisis, the current government is at war with the cultural industries. If theaters and distributors need help to recover they won't get it. On the contrary, the government is already targeting the struggling book industry and announced books will start getting taxed despite the Constitution making books exempt from taxes.

Beyond the pandemics there is the streaming market too, with Disney+ testing releases on Disney+ with a premium price through Mulan...

On 8/15/2020 at 5:44 AM, Blaze Heatnix said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-politics/brazils-bolsonaro-approval-rating-at-highest-despite-coronavirus-poll-idUSKCN25A1JX

I swore to avoid political matters here so I won't talk about Bolsonaro, let's say I don't understand it but if that's what Brazil wants...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, john2000 said:

so any updates about when movie theaters will reopen, ?

The only cinemas open in the country are the ones in my city (Manaus), and they've been doing quite good, Playarte Manauara (biggest chain here) generated $16k across 5 days despite playing only old movies, and was the top cinema in the country, according to Filme B.

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

The only cinemas open in the country are the ones in my city (Manaus), and they've been doing quite good, Playarte Manauara (biggest chain here) generated $16k across 5 days despite playing only old movies, and was the top cinema in the country, according to Filme B.

i heard that cinemas will reopen from tommorrow and that tenet will be released in brazil late sept

On 8/15/2020 at 6:44 AM, Blaze Heatnix said:

so any update on the reopening date ?

Cinemas in Rio reopened yesterday, São Paulo is expected to reopen next week but still not confirmed. They are the two biggest markets.

Among new releases available for theaters to show are: Scoob, Fantasy Island, The Gentlemen and The Secret.

The New Mutants is currently scheduled to open on October 22, Tenet on October 29 and The Craft: Legacy on November 5.

Let's see if box office can be revived.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, Napoleon said:

Cinemas in Rio reopened yesterday, São Paulo is expected to reopen next week but still not confirmed. They are the two biggest markets.

Among new releases available for theaters to show are: Scoob, Fantasy Island, The Gentlemen and The Secret.

The New Mutants is currently scheduled to open on October 22, Tenet on October 29 and The Craft: Legacy on November 5.

Let's see if box office can be revived.

Finally some action ,gentlemen 😎

Damn, almost 2 months without posting ^^

Still, without the big Marvel/DC movies I don't expect anything exciting in terms of numbers.

• Like 1

With the re-release of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone we have access to the official box office numbers of the entire run in Brazil: 3.690.000 tickets sold, BRL$ 19.980.000

Other official numbers of HP films in Brazil:

Half Blood Prince (2009): 4.530.746 / BRL$ 36.185.889,00

Deathly Hallows Part I (2010): 4.582.365 / BRL$ 39.113.501,80

Deathly Hallows Part II (2011): 5.578.408 / BRL$ 57.161.800,00

Fantastic Beasts (2016): 4.344.718 / BRL$ 66.377.631,00

Crimes Of Grindelwald (2018): 3.550.891 / BRL$ 59.301.701

-

There's been an initiative to get people back in the cinemas with the re-release of several popular movies for a cheap price but it hasn't worked well, box office numbers are still very low. Fantasy Island has been the #1 movie for the past 2 weekends, with less than 25.000 tickets sold so far (BRL$ 345.000).

Let's see if The New Mutants and Tenet get people back to the cinemas.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2020 at 7:39 PM, Napoleon said:

With the re-release of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone we have access to the official box office numbers of the entire run in Brazil: 3.690.000 tickets sold, BRL$ 19.980.000

Other official numbers of HP films in Brazil:

Half Blood Prince (2009): 4.530.746 / BRL$ 36.185.889,00

Deathly Hallows Part I (2010): 4.582.365 / BRL$ 39.113.501,80

Deathly Hallows Part II (2011): 5.578.408 / BRL$ 57.161.800,00

Fantastic Beasts (2016): 4.344.718 / BRL$ 66.377.631,00

Crimes Of Grindelwald (2018): 3.550.891 / BRL$ 59.301.701

-

There's been an initiative to get people back in the cinemas with the re-release of several popular movies for a cheap price but it hasn't worked well, box office numbers are still very low. Fantasy Island has been the #1 movie for the past 2 weekends, with less than 25.000 tickets sold so far (BRL$ 345.000).

Let's see if The New Mutants and Tenet get people back to the cinemas.

That's indeed horribly low...I can't blame people though...

PS: this thread will finally pass 1 million views, it took much more time than expected because of the pandemics but hey...

Will these thread about box office even make sense with major firms going digital and focusing on it?

Besides, Disney+ comes to Brazil and Latin America in November:

https://labsnews.com/en/news/technology/disney-subscription-in-brazil-may-cost-brl-29-per-month-says-guia-disney-brasil/

With theaters in the city of São Paulo finally allowed to reopen, last weekend's box office in Brazil doubled the previous weekend, with BRL 1,2 million in ticket sales (vs BRL 606,000). It's still way below the pre-pandemic levels (the average in February was BRL 20 million a weekend) but there's no exciting movie playing anyway.

There's no new release this weekend but there's New Mutants next weekend. It's hard to see it doing very well but at least it's a movie that's not in HD quality on the torrent websites yet (unlike everything else that's currently in theaters). Fantastic Four in 2015 did the equivalent of US$ 4 million in the current exchange rate (BRL 22 million). Yeah we also have the shitty ER to deal with... :(

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

With theaters in the city of São Paulo finally allowed to reopen, last weekend's box office in Brazil doubled the previous weekend, with BRL 1,2 million in ticket sales (vs BRL 606,000). It's still way below the pre-pandemic levels (the average in February was BRL 20 million a weekend) but there's no exciting movie playing anyway.

There's no new release this weekend but there's New Mutants next weekend. It's hard to see it doing very well but at least it's a movie that's not in HD quality on the torrent websites yet (unlike everything else that's currently in theaters). Fantastic Four in 2015 did the equivalent of US$ 4 million in the current exchange rate (BRL 22 million). Yeah we also have the shitty ER to deal with... :(

OMG, I didn't check the ER in a very longtime, so much that I completely forgot abot it...it's much worse than it was before...$1 = R$5.58 right now! o_o

I remember when we were saying reaching R$5 would be insane and now it's way past it..

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Oh I forgot to mention yesterday was a holiday in Brazil so that must have helped the 100% increase too.

• Like 1