Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I think the 2nd trailer didn't do it any favors and they should have never released that one in favor of the one they released earlier this week.  The run time and Baz's style are also challengs with the demographics that came in.  I also think that a slight impact of politics this week kept women (the core audience per polling) occupied.  

With that said, it still put up a good and ecouraging number given all factors and should play strong for another month.  

I don't think it can hit Rocketman's 3.75 multiplier but hopefully you're right and it still gets to about 110 which is fine. I just got my hopes it it could be a 120 thing even with Baz's style which would have been a nice boost to these types of adult, prestige releases. 

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I have TGM at 630-640 at the moment. +10-20M with Labor Day expansion.

I could be wrong, but if it is at $600m by July 10th (and it should be), I just don't see how it only has another $30m-$40m left in it's run from there.  

A lot of that is due to a horrendous August.  It is the most empty (along with September) that I have seen a month outside of this past January.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

A lot of that is due to a horrendous August.  It is the most empty (along with September) that I have seen a month outside of this past January.  

For this reason, I think that if Love and Thunder can manage a DS2 level opening (or even 200m+), 500m DOM could definitely be on the cards

• Like 1

No wide releases on August 12th.  Beast and Dragon Ball Super on August 19th.  The Invitation on August 26th.  

That is it for the last 3 weeks of the month.  Terrible.  

TG2 will be trucking along racking up money on the way to a nice Labor Day expansion and bump.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cheddar Please said:

For this reason, I think that if Love and Thunder can manage a DS2 level opening (or even 200m+), 500m DOM could definitely be on the cards

I 100% agree.  There is zero to cut into its grosses or take it off screen.  I also think DC Super Pets overperforms as well.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

August looks so horrendous that Bullet Train will play all month and things like Beast will overperform, leaving room for Top gun to hang around

Totally agree. August is tragic. 

Could anything move up?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I could be wrong, but if it is at $600m by July 10th (and it should be), I just don't see how it only has another $30m-$40m left in it's run from there.  

I have it at 590M by July 10. Could be more sure and that will be great.

• Like 2

I doubt it makes money but why hasn't MGM/Amazon dropped a trailer and release date for Ron Howard's 13 Lives? They announced recently they were moving it to August from Nov. Wouldn't be huge but test screenings were supposedly astounding and at least it's SOME content for theaters until streaming in a dreary month

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's ending around 50M short of FK despite starting similar OW and way less competition.

I don't know what more evidence you need.

Dude what? lol Top Gun: Maverick is bigger then literally everything that released around the same time as Fallen Kingdom and that's without Thor: Love and Thunder coming out yet. 2018's summer was a dead time. Also you can see the future now?

57 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Oh my god, do you actually believe JWD has better WoM than Lightyear :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Seeing how Dominion's #2 today while Lightyear's dropped to below 10 million already, uh I'm going to say yeah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1