Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

10 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

I don't know if my mom likes or has ever seen Moulin Rouge or Great Gatsby, but I'm scared she's gonna hate the movie and think it's too flashy or weird. The only movies she likes are middling Oscar bait, so maybe this will be too much for her.

i will say it gets more conventional as it goes. the first five minutes had even me going "uhhh WHAT?" but it kinda settles into something a little more standard by the end with big emotional moments. basically if she survives the first hour she might enjoy it idk.

• Like 1

Elvis is very luhrmann in the first part, the second part is more traditional and really sad and emotional. So this is the kind of feeling you have when you leave the theater. This is the reason the cinemascore is good and the best for the director. If the tone of the first part was the entire tone of the movie it would different. Australia is the other movie with an A- and it's the same, the fast montage and the over the top hilarious moments * are at the start of the movie, the last part is more emotional.

* moments like this 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You have literally no evidence for this now. Its holding well without any substantial drops. 

We have literally sufficient evidence… just like we did 2 weeks ago

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think Minions passes LY in total gross within 10-14 days, despite the latter having a 2 week head start 

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Elvis is very luhrmann in the first part, the second part is more traditional and really sad and emotional. So this is the kind of feeling you have when you leave the theater. This is the reason the cinemascore is good and the best for the director. If the tone of the first part was the entire tone of the movie it would different. Australia is the other movie with an A- and it's the same, the fast montage and the over the top hilarious moments * are at the start of the movie, the last part is more emotional.

* moment like this 

I haven't seen Australia in years but that sequence was hilarious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Ok say it. What's your evidence?

The audience scores and polling of course. The… primary evidence for WoM.

And it’s not like it’s actively holding well to contradict those. Just kind of medium, headed to 2.6ish in summer is pretty much what was expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I actually ended up watching Strange on D+ and as someone who isn't really super big on the MCU it was one of the films I liked more, lol. So much for the negative WOM.

Actually that shows negative WOM. If the WOM was great, you may have checked it out in theaters instead of D+.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

And it’s not like it’s actively holding well to contradict those. Just kind of medium, headed to 2.6ish in summer is pretty much what was expected.

Dude it got an A- on CinemaScore. The ComTrack and RT scores aren't great but they're not awful. That's not evidence. There's no evidence that its having bad WOM when its having fine drops. Look at Lightyear's awful drops for bad WOM.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Actually that shows negative WOM. If the WOM was great, you may have checked it out in theaters instead of D+.

Oh I'm not saying WOM wasn't negative if that's what you got from my post, just saying it's ironic that as someone who isnt big on the films I ended up thinking one of the considered "worst ones" was actually one of the best ones. Though I doubt I was going to see it in theaters even if WOM was better.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

So you agree with me that it has average WOM? Nice.

• Like 4

Moderation

Look, this "Is Dominion having good WOM" arguments have to go. You lot are talking in circles, it's more than obvious you guys will not agree with each other...I think it's time to let these arguments go, at least publicly on the board.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Btw, i gave in to the demons and rewatched MoM on Disney+ instead of waiting for the Blu-Ray release and i gotta say for some reason i noticed the Sam Raimi-isms even more than i did back in the theater. Man went really Evil Dead for this movies camera movement at many parts and i just adore it.

Still Top 5 MCU material for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the third act being Evil Dead 4 was fun but the big problem was that end of first act stretch from the pizza shop to Wanda's "farm" being absolute dire zone-out. Just the worst, laziest exposition. The film truly never recovered from that for me. The reshoots and obligatory dialogue really stuck out

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah, the third act being Evil Dead 4 was fun but the big problem was that end of first act stretch from the pizza shop to Wanda's "farm" being absolute dire zone-out. Just the worst, laziest exposition. The film truly never recovered from that for me. The reshoots and obligatory dialogue really stuck out

I do eagerly await America Chavez and Kate Bishop bonding over pizza.