The Wild Eric

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

Wouldn't be surprised if Bumblebee being good helped it out a bit domestically.

Also I feel like there's a ceiling for action focused animation, but that could be pessimism from Lightyear flopping lol 

Just now, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Also I feel like there's a ceiling for action focused animation, but that could be pessimism from Lightyear flopping lol 

Also I get huge Kung Fu Panda 2 and Dragon 2 vibes from it. It really needs a different spot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Fair. That’s kind of part of my justification for SpiderVerse 2 doing under the first, other than the competition being too much for it.

I don't know if it will affect gross that bad, but this movie scream disappointment. 

Kinda like Guardians 2 being compared to 1, or the new Thor having reactions like "it's very good but Ragnarok was better". 

Everytime a movie is very beloved the sequel suffer, and this time is not just a beloved movie but certainly the most hyped animation of the decade. 

I fear expectations will be so high that no matter how good it can be, it won't be enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, krla said:

I was surprised to learn that Hook was considered a financial disappointment, and that it was so poorly received by critics. I fucking love that film.

It was only a financial disappointment in terms of how much it made, it was still technically a reasonably profitable movie. Discounting Return to Neverland, it's also the last real Peter Pan movie that anybody really paid attention to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don't know if it will affect gross that bad, but this movie scream disappointment. 

Kinda like Guardians 2 being compared to 1, or the new Thor having reactions like "it's very good but Ragnarok was better". 

Everytime a movie is very beloved the sequel suffer, and this time is not just a beloved movie but certainly the most hyped animation of the decade. 

I fear expectations will be so high that no matter how good it can be, it won't be enough.

This too but I’m less worried about that. I think Across will underperform high expectations but Beyond will overperform, so long as Across is great.

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

It was only a financial disappointment in terms of how much it made, it was still technically a reasonably profitable movie. Discounting Return to Neverland, it's also the last real Peter Pan movie that anybody really paid attention to. 

yeha I think I remember reading Hook was expected  to be the highest grossing film of that year 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Don’t you remember the smash hit that was Pan. Hugh Jackman sang Smells Like Teen Spirit and everything 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I think Transformers will be big OS, as for Flash I think the floor for it is higher than SpiderVerse but due to Ezra, it now has a much lower ceiling.

Transformers imo won’t do big either OS. The last one only made $475M while Bumblebee $340M. Probably I’ll guess between $350-420M OS which is not “big” for me (Depends on what each of us perception of the word ‘big’ really). Flash, I had it at $250-300M. But I agree, the controversy will hurt this big time and who knows how much trouble Ezra will make in the next 12 months so yeah. I think Flash prediction is declining day by day. I predict between $150-$250M for now. While for ATSV I think it could do $300M given the amount of goodwill + the first kinda become a classic already. 

• ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Don’t you remember the smash hit that was Pan. Hugh Jackman sang Smells Like Teen Spirit and everything 

Still laughing hysterical over the fact that they cast Rooney Mara as Tiger Lily in that film, because they thought that her tribe could include any ethnicity in the world.

Edited by Fancyarcher

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I think Transformers will be big OS, as for Flash I think the floor for it is higher than SpiderVerse because of live action and slight nostalgia but due to Ezra, it now has a much lower ceiling.

Spider Verse 2 is gonna blow up. Wont be surprised with Spider Verse 2 > Flash + Transformers 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

One of the more funny things about the first Minions movie is how the writers had to have them in exile in Antarctica after Napoleon to answer the "If they serve the most evil people doesn't that mean they served Hitler?" question.

That was probably the best workaround they could come up with.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

One of the more funny things about the first Minions movie is how the writers had to have them in exile in Antarctica after Napoleon to answer the "If they serve the most evil people doesn't that mean they served Hitler?" question.

Hitler: Minion, hand me ze Tylenol

Bob gets confused between Tylenol and Cyanide and gives Hitler the Cyanide.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Could have let them serve the Brits 

Edited by charlie Jatinder

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

agree. Little Mermaid is Aladdin/Beast/Lion King level.  Mulan isn’t in their league of IP level. 

I think is Aladdin/Beauty and the Beast level. Lion King is easily bigger than the rest, at least here in South America...

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Really early number for TG2 is $10.25m.  

Would it be likely to come down if we're thinking Friday was inflated? That would be close to matching last week's Saturday increase.

• Like 1