Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, don't overlook the fact that Kevin Feige adamantly said multiple times that the face to face and cohesion just wasn't there due to Covid shut downs.  He said at Cinemacon they were having their retreat the next day to map out Phase 5 and it would be the first time they had all gotten together in person in over 2 years. 

Yea I've been pondering this for a while and hopefully it rights the overall ship. I'm not all doom and gloom on the MCU, I think it'll be just fine but I also recognize that the course has veered a little. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Panda said:

SW is not in a helpless cinematic situation post TLJ lmao. Solo bombed and TROS had terrible WoM (but still did well overall). When the next SW film comes it’ll probably do well.

BP2 will probably be big. Yall are being a bit silly dooming over this.

next SW film can easily bomb overseas like Solo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

That is pretty funny, sort of accurate in a humorous way, but ultimately the MCU at it's very worst is still a monster.   

Problem with this is that it is monster because of the goodwill of previous movies, which they are losing with each passing new entry.

• Like 3

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Problem with this is that it is monster because of the goodwill of previous movies, which they are losing with each passing new entry.

Meh, it's been 2 films and both are still rated fine.  It isn't like we are talking Morbius level garbage.  

They might lose a few, but all it takes is one really good film to get it back.  That might be BP2, Ant-Man or more likely GOTG3.  

Like I said though, I might take a pause and mix in X-Men, Fantastic 4 and Deadpool where you essentially get to start over.  

I know im just being mean at this point, but anyone have lightyear numbers?

how much does it have left in the tank ww and domestic?

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, The Panda said:

SW is not in a helpless cinematic situation post TLJ lmao. Solo bombed and TROS had terrible WoM (but still did well overall). When the next SW film comes it’ll probably do well.

BP2 will probably be big. Yall are being a bit silly dooming over this.

Well a lot of people didn't like TLJ and pretty much everyone thought TROS was a stinker....and Solo flopped.  Since then, there has been 3 Star Wars TV shows and only 1 of those(The Mandalorian) has had an enthusiastic response.  Star Wars is not in a good place right now, someone needs to come in and make something far removed from the Skywalker era with completely new characters and probably a more dynamic story thats not just simply good vs. evil.  SW fans will whine but fuck'em.

Edited by Ozymandias

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Well a lot of people didn't like TLJ and pretty much everyone thought TROS was a stinker....and Solo flopped.  Since then, there has been 3 Star Wars TV shows and only 1 of those(The Mandalorian) has had an enthusiastic response.  Star Wars is not in a good place right now, someone needs to come in and make something far removed from the Skywalker era with completely new characters and probably a more dynamic story and not just simply good vs. evil.  SW fans will whine but fuck'em.

Uh.... what?  Obi-Wan had a good response.  Boba Fett wasn't a great response, but it was fine.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I know im just being mean at this point, but anyone have lightyear numbers?

how much does it have left in the tank ww and domestic?

IDK, It's probably not going to crack $125 million dom.

No major markets left. It's a huge flop.

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

Wut?  It seems pretty mixed too me.

And Boba Fett was ass.

We aren't talking about what you or I thought of the shows, but what the response was.  

Obi-Wan had a good overall response.  Boba Fett response was definitely mixed.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

MCU is stuck in a place where they seem to be attempting to let filmmakers play with some interesting ideas and narrative threads, but they are still so desperately adhering to the Marvel formula and visuals that everything just feels like a shapeless mess. The first three phases may have been a bit soulless of an endeavor but at least they were competent.

Needless to say, Thor was more like Bore/Chore/Snore!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

MCU is stuck in a place where they seem to be attempting to let filmmakers play with some interesting ideas and narrative threads, but they are still so desperately adhering to the Marvel formula and visuals that everything just feels like a shapeless mess. The first three phases may have been a bit soulless of an endeavor but at least they were competent.

Needless to say, Thor was more like Bore/Chore/Snore!

Wrong thread lol

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Disbelief 1

I actually enjoyed the hell out of Love and Thunder. I don’t know if it’s that I’m just that much on Taika Waititi’s wavelength, that hard-up for a fun superhero flick with a prominent female hero, or whatever else, but I had a really good time with it. Crowd seemed pretty into it too.

I still contend that the real danger of streaming that only a few saw and never was really talked about is that it is a beast that must be fed a never ending stream of content.  Week after week.  Month after month.  Year after year.  

Theatrical doesn't really have that problem, mostly because there is only so much you can stuff into it due to the calendar and a limited number of theaters and screens.  

You only used to have 3 channels to produce television content for.  Then we went to cable, but most didn't actually produce original content.  Then they did, but even that was still somewhat limited.  

Streaming is just a different animal, and every service that comes on line makes it all that much worse, because to compete with everyone you must pump out show after show.  

For example, we went a 16 year period without a single bit of Star Wars content (not counting a couple Ewoks direct to video movies).  Then we had 6 hours of it (the Prequels) for the next 16 years years.  Add in another 10 hours for the next 4 years.  

16 hours of Star Wars live action content in 36 years.  22 hours if you count the original trilogy in 42 years.  

Now since the end of 2019 until the end of 2022, you are going to have something like 50 hours of live content with a ton more on the way.  

22 hours in 42 years.  50 hours in 3 years.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1