Eric Lasagna

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Eh, Season 1 and 2 mediocre and Season 4 fairly meh so far from what I did watch. Season 3 is great though, that brother character has the highest wins above replacement of any TV character in a long time. Dude killed it.

this is 100% accurate. Season 3 was genuinely good and the rest was middling between stupid masquerading as prestige with some occasionally thrilling parts

• Like 1

Maybe I’m in the minority but I love a really good TV series. I’ve been spoiled over the years with so much good stuff from HBO, and now with apple and Amazon putting out really great stuff as well I think it’s awesome.

My kids are older now (17/15)so we have more free time, so we like catching up on stuff on the weekends after a busy week when we don’t have too much stuff going on. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Beyond the MCU and Star Wars there's just wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much TV now, period, full stop, I haven't even watched the final season of Ozark because I got too much other shit I'm trying to catch up on, one useless hour while working at a time. Heck, Apple TV apparently has a great new true crime show debuting today, so the pile just grows larger. Miss the days when the only TV choice I had to make was Sunday, 9pm - am I watching Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones? Streaming ruined everything.

I have given up even bothering to watch streaming shows these days. Never really watched much TV outside of sitcoms and cartoons granted, but I have not seen a second of the new Stranger Things season, I still don't really know what Squid Game is about, and I really just can't bring myself to stay invested.

The only new shows I keep up with are Only Murders in the Building and Abbott Elementary (both are phenomenal shows btw), likely the only upcoming one I will bother with will be that Lord of the Rings show, and I can't remember the last time I even bothered watching something on Netflix that wasn't Seinfeld. Feels nice to be free of this pain tbh, because now I'm actually getting around to watching shows I've never seen before (Nearly done with season 4 of Sopranos, planning to watch Alias when I'm done, hoping to get into some real classics like I Love Lucy) and I've been returning to shows I haven't seen in years. I've gotten back into watching Black-ish for the first time in years and it's amazing how smart and well-written that show is. Would have missed it completely if I cared about Ozark like a normal person.

What's funny is if you watch like the Matrix or Fight Club in 1999 they're all like "technology is making us an empty and terrible world" but honestly I'd fucking kill for 1999 right now, just give me a CD player and let me be outside without any Twitter notifications please

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think another funny thing that might play out in the next few years is that people start to cut their streaming services, not because there isn't enough content, but because there is actually too much.  

The fear of all of these streaming companies and executives is that if you don't pump endless amounts of content, then people are going to stop subscribing.  

I'm going to be one of the weirdos that stops subscribing because the massive amount of content is so overwhelming.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

What's funny is if you watch like the Matrix or Fight Club in 1999 they're all like "technology is making us an empty and terrible world" but honestly I'd fucking kill for 1999 right now, just give me a CD player and let me be outside without any Twitter notifications please

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Don’t really get the appeal of TV.  Potentially a hundred or so episodes for a story that could like be told in a 2 hour movie? And where do people get the time to watch all these shows?

Where as I feel the opposite. Movies rarely move and capture me these days because of their short run times. You can build something more comprehensive and rewarding in TV show. 

• Like 4

The only good thing about streaming is that it gave us I Think You Should Leave on Netflix, the best thing to happen to mainstream American comedy in like 30 years. Unfortunately Netflix decided to cancel it out with a carousel full of "has-been comedian does stand up about transgender people" while burying the good comedy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean, the lesson of all of this is you can still have exactly that.  Put the phone down, take off the Apple watch, grab a CD player and some CD's from half price books and take a walk.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Don’t really get the appeal of TV.  Potentially a hundred or so episodes for a story that could like be told in a 2 hour movie? And where do people get the time to watch all these shows?

This is why I've always more of a sitcom guy. You go in, watch some characters act goofy for 22 minutes, and you're done. No need to stay trapped in a gigantic storyline that may or may not be good in the end, no overlong drama. It's golden, quality material

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Is there gonna be a big team up Avengers movie ever again, and if so, am I going to need to watch Moon Knight and Ms. Marvel and shit to know the characters? Or is this all just content for content's sake? I was aggravated sometimes by MCU in its past but in retrospect the MCU's progression towards Endgame was brilliant in its simplicity.

Yes there will be another cross over movie Feige said it several times but the thing is we don't know who will be in the next Avengers movie. There are now 15+ solo movie & series characters in MCU, not all will be in the next Avengers movie, I would say more than 50% won't be in the next Avengers movie. So yes it's very confusing at present what to watch & what to skip.

Hope the MCU clears this year with an absolute banger in BP2 (In BO obviously, don't really care about quality of any of these movies). TLT having less admits than Ragnarok is definitely underwhelming, at least with DS2 you could argue that it grew 75% over the predecessor.