Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

I’m no Marvel stan or anything, but TLT was pretty good, about as good as any of the Marvel films really. So honestly I’m not sure why people are calling this as significantly worse than any of them. 

6 minutes ago, lab276 said:

I’m no Marvel stan or anything, but TLT was pretty good, about as good as any of the Marvel films really. So honestly I’m not sure why people are calling this as significantly worse than any of them. 

Well, I don't think it's great but I'm with you in that it's certainly not significantly worse. Favorites of mine are Guardians Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, Iron Man 3, Captain America First Avenger and Avengers Infinity War so my taste generally doesn't jive with others. But, I did think what worked it, worked really well... Just jarring but because what didn't work in it... Really didn't work. I can totally see why many are outright rejecting it. It's more along the line of Mel Brooks, Monty Python, What We Do In The Shadows, Our Flag Means Death... I'm not sure any of those would play well to an enormous audience expecting a full on superhero romp.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Yes which is why they didn't have 100-200M increases between installements. It would be impossible. All fandom (diehard + casual audience) were already there in full force. It couldn't have gone over cause the rest were audience that simply isn't into fantasy and nothing - no praise, no WOM, no Oscars - could make them interested. When we get predictions that X will make 500M cause previous X made 300M, they assume that audience that wasn't interested will miraculously become interested. Yet NWH didn't get that audience, they got fans of Tobey and Andrew movies that didn't follow Holland movies. Not all Spiderman fans followed all Spiderman movies. So that part that was done with Spiderman had their interest re-awaken. 

It seems to me that some people here want to believe that their favorite character has potential to make as much money as some other favorite character. Whether that is true or not. So when that doesn't happen, blame is laid on quality (if it was only so freakin amazing it would have made _______ I'm sure of it!) or whatever else. Yet it isn't so, at all. Iron Man 3 was crap but it made 1.2B cause people just love Stark. TWS is still hailed one of MCU's finest and it couldn't even sniff IM3 despite raves. Why? Because Cap was never as popular as Stark. People love both but they love Stark way more hence why his middling movie outgrossed MCU masterpiece. Thor was never Stark level popularity either. Etc. 

My point is this creates disappoitment where there should be none. If a movie opens above previous one and has bigger lifetime no matter whether it's bigger by 10M or 100M, it did the job. 

I get where you’re coming from, but based on the feeling that I get of Thor’s increased popularity within these movies these past few years, I felt this new one could easily hurtle past $400 million and then some. Prime summer movie date, and no competition in sight really. The movie had to be great though, and it isn’t. 
$350 million is in no way it’s maximum if the movie was as good as Ragnarok. 

Just my opinion. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

Match with the 2nd Friday of 1st Minion. All weekend should make around 48.5m or -55%, a better 2nd weekend hold compared to first Minion. 

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Also...since we're discussing TV shows...Arcane was one of the best shows ever and I was floored by how utterly astonishing it was. Pitch-perfect characterization, story, and dialogue with stunning world building. 

And Stranger Things Season 4 was great...as good as the first season.

Yeah Arcane is just brilliant. I am not very good about finishing TV shows but I just couldn't stop watching, it was so well made.

• Like 1

This might have been posted already, but Vue in the U.K. are putting on some special ‘Gentleminions’ showings of Rise of Gru. 

“We're putting on special Gentleminion screenings of Minions: The Rise of Gru where you can enjoy the full experience of being a Gentleminion. So suit up. Bring your friends. Be Gentleminionly.
Everyone is welcome, whether you're 14 or 44, Minion or human, but please note that these sessions may include crowd participation and general, obvious levels of enjoyment.”

Edited by wildphantom

Terrific opening for Thor, very strong. We'll see about its legs, but that's a great start.

TGM took a hit as expected, still the 7th best 7th Friday, certainly not a bad outcome. As you can see it's still the best summer 7th Friday ever...

1 Jan 29, 2010  Avatar $7,439,426    3,074     $2,420     $571,911,813
2 Jan 3, 2014  Frozen $6,752,054 3,318 $2,035 $283,868,258
3 Jan 30, 1998  Titanic $6,652,831 2,853 $2,332 $288,845,862
4 Apr 9, 2004  The Passion of the Christ    $6,569,000 3,203 $2,051 $344,340,000
5 Feb 6, 2015  American Sniper $6,163,365 3,885 $1,586 $264,263,604
6 Jan 1, 2010  The Blind Side $4,554,779 2,926 $1,557 $201,118,097
7 Jul 8, 2022  Top Gun: Maverick $4,465,000 3,513 $1,271 $586,371,113
Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 4

I'm like the biggest marvel apologist but post-Endgame i've increasingly felt something is lacking, though i'm not quite sure what is it. I've still liked most of the recent content (and loved some like NWH and Loki series) but i don't feel as excited as i used to feel anymore. I think mcu is becoming somewhat oversaturated. Like i said i'm a huge fan but even i don't want a new movie or series coming out every month. When you have so much content coming out and especially when a lot of it is "just fine" it's starting to lead to brand dilution. Marvel movies and shows aren't such big events anymore. I also wonder is Feige spreading himself too thin when there are so many projects and if that is effecting quality control. On the other hand maybe it's partially just bad luck, like Zhao's Eternals, Raimi's MoM and Taika's sequel to his earlier well-received Ragnarok should all have been home runs on paper.

Current mcu feels very aimless to me, like it has no weight or central narrative. I don't think there should be immediately another big universe ending event or that everything needs to be ~connected, but on hindsight the infinity saga really tied everything together and the loss of original avengers is also felt. Now i feel nothing in the multiverse has any real connection or meaning to anything else and at the same time many stories are not good enough to work self-contained. I don't think this is any serious superhero/marvel fatigue or whatever but maybe temporary lethargy. Or maybe my brain is just finally fully developed and i'm just getting too old for the franchise lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Terrific opening for Thor, very strong. We'll see about its legs, but that's a great start.

TGM took a hit as expected, still the 7th best 7th Friday, certainly not a bad outcome. As you can see it's still the best summer 7th Friday ever...

1 Jan 29, 2010  Avatar $7,439,426    3,074     $2,420     $571,911,813
2 Jan 3, 2014  Frozen $6,752,054 3,318 $2,035 $283,868,258
3 Jan 30, 1998  Titanic $6,652,831 2,853 $2,332 $288,845,862
4 Apr 9, 2004  The Passion of the Christ    $6,569,000 3,203 $2,051 $344,340,000
5 Feb 6, 2015  American Sniper $6,163,365 3,885 $1,586 $264,263,604
6 Jan 1, 2010  The Blind Side $4,554,779 2,926 $1,557 $201,118,097
7 Jul 8, 2022  Top Gun: Maverick $4,465,000 3,513 $1,271 $586,371,113

American Sniper doesn't count since it did not go wide until week 4.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

and Crowe was awful in it too. Not entirely his fault, but the whole way they wrote that character summed up what I thought of the movie overall. Just not funny 

Crowe is brilliant in that. He made me laugh more than the goats.

Hope Zeus still encounter Goldblum's Grandmaster... in a orgy.

6 minutes ago, Durden said:

Crowe is brilliant in that. He made me laugh more than the goats.

Hope Zeus still encounter Goldblum's Grandmaster... in a orgy.

that’s why comedy is subjective. 

that last line you wrote made me laugh harder than anything in the movie itself :hahaha:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

I'm seeing a disturbing lack of Better Call Saul praise in this TV conversation.

I’ve been watching BCS over the past few weeks. Halfway through season 5 now and I’m loving it.

• Thanks 1