Eric S'ennui

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

As a fanboy, I’m 98% over Scorsese’s comments. He’s a great. He gets his opinion. 
I do think the Twitter people who latch on to his comments as deep or important are like Jordan stans who still talk about him like he’s a current player. 

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Other than the new "discourse" over the Amazon show, isn't LOTR more insular and older as a fanbase? Online I genuinely don't see the level of stanning as SW or MCU at all

Well, LOTR had a fanbase well before the movies can out; Tolikien fandom dates back on the mid 1960's.

And it is not like there is alot of New LOTR product coming out. You have the Prime series, and a animated film, but it;s not a steady stream of stuff like you see for the  other huge franchises. I am still surprised Amazon got the Tolkien estate..which is VERY protective of the Professor;s work... to go along with it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You have to remember that Lucas was coming off of "American Graffiti" and he was considered to be one of the "New Wave" directors of the 1970's, For one of them to make an action movie like Star Wars was considered to be selling out big time.

Well Spielberg had already kind of bust that door open with Jaws. I think Lucas just managed to commercialize to a degree that their friends felt uncomfortable with and they even said made their lives more difficult as filmmakers. lol again if Scorsese is saying that about his own friend's work, clearly its nothing personal when he says that about superhero movies. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

As a fanboy, I’m 98% over Scorsese’s comments. He’s a great. He gets his opinion. 
I do think the Twitter people who latch on to his comments as deep or important are like Jordan stans who still talk about him like he’s a current player. 

He’s still making high quality films. He’s not dead or retired lol. Last decade alone he had Shutter Island (one of his highest grossing films), Wolf of Wall Street (one of his best movies) and Hugo (great 3D) and this year is Killers of Flower Moon

The Prime show is very much going to be Tolkien in name only, they don't even have any of the rights to the Silmarillion, just the appendices in LOTR.  That said, I still hope its at least good and not another Wheel of Time like turd.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CJohn said:

After 82982982 years I have finally finished the Stranger Things season 4. It felt like it would never end, but here we are.

Using the time stone to find a show is both a blessing and a curse.

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Man, when even IGN is saying the same things we all are, you know you've lost the plot a little bit.

https://www.ign.com/articles/thor-love-and-thunder-is-more-proof-marvel-needs-a-phase-4-goal-fast

Like VFX artists, journalists just 'press a button' (copy & paste) to do their work. Probably came on this forum (or more likely Reddit) and made an article using other people's opinions.  (Gonna point out this is just a joke in case some underpaid VFX artists are reading this).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krla said:

Like VFX artists, journalists just 'press a button' (copy & paste) to do their work. Probably came on this forum (or more likely Reddit) and made an article using other people's opinions.  (Gonna point out this is just a joke in case some underpaid VFX artists are reading this).

that's not even a joke about clickbait journalism. They literally do just steal shit from reddit for that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

(even if they are bad movies)

world still isnt ready to accept that revenge of the fallen is a great movie

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He’s still making high quality films. He’s not dead or retired lol. Last decade alone he had Shutter Island (one of his highest grossing films), Wolf of Wall Street (one of his best movies) and Hugo (great 3D) and this year is Killers of Flower Moon

Scorsese is a great. Goodfellas is a top five fave for me. He’s badass. He knows a zillion things about movies. He has every right to care about the future. 
Also, he’s an old guy who doesn’t like newer genres. That’s not a big deal. I used to react like it was. 

Thor:

Remainder of this week: 49.5M (189.5M Total)

Jul 15: 49.7M (24.4M weekdays, 263.6M Total)

Jul 22: 17.6M (10.6M weekdays, 291.8M Total)

Jul 29: 11.9M (5.7M weekdays, 309.4M Total)

Aug 5: 7.1M (2.8M weekdays, 319.3M Total)

Aug 12: 4M (1.2M weekdays, 324.5M Total)

Aug 19: 2.5M (600k weekdays, 327.6M Total)

Aug 26: 1.7M (400k weekdays, 329.7M Total)

Sep 2: 1.5M (600k weekdays, 331.8M Total)

Total: 335M (2.34x)

Now that Discount Tuesdays are back at AMC starting this week, I can see patterns shifting across the board but not enough to salvage an inevitably poor multi based on other MCU movies with weaker WOM. It'll be another Black Widow where weekends 2 and 3 drop too much for later legs to matter much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

that's not even a joke about clickbait journalism. They literally do just steal shit from reddit for that.

Worst journalist: reads film twitter and regurgitates it as their own work

Bad journalist: reads r/boxoffice and regurgitates it as their own work

Good journalist: reads BOT and regurgitates it as their own work

Great journalist: creates sockpuppets on twitter to push their opinion, then writes an article with their sockpuppet tweets embedded throughout

lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Since some of you guys have been following box office for so long, what was the first movie that people predicted would beat Titanic's domestic record? 

Hmm. Probably Phantom Menance. :ph34r:

• Like 1