grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Thor seems like 18-18.25

Minions 10.1

Crawdads 5.5

Fury 2.2

that’s a really sad number for Fury considering it’s a family film. Still, it made it over 5 million for the weekend which we weren’t sure it would heading into Friday. 

everything else seems pretty good to decent. 

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

None of the numbers here are from EC since his ban.

Last year, since I didn't get my access activated, I reached him to provide me with raw numbers and I would provide early estimates, which he posted here.

I am still waiting for my original access, right now I have access to numbers after day end. EC is still giving me the raw numbers and I do have Sat numbers but I have decided it won't be fair to post here or anywhere since he and forum aren't on good terms.

The numbers I posted in last 3 days are from my end of day source and not EC.

The numbers in title are Studio estimates which Shawn shared yesterday.

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Charlie said on the previous page that he got these numbers from Empire. I think that’s why Empire is tweeting about it. 

Charlie posted the above just one page ago. 

Again the point is that it is better to ask rather than assume things and then make snide and useless comments. Literally just one thread ago (in the weekday thread with all the drama) there were so many people assuming things and ranting without knowing the full picture. They ceased only when I laid out the facts and his actual comments. Yet again I see people continuing the same nonsense here. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Regarding the Labor Day expansion, not sure how effective it's even gonna be for TGM. Likely TGM will be holding onto 2,000+ theaters the weekend before and not sure if a theater bump of 1000 or so can provide a significant boost, unless some extended cut is involved. 

it is less about the number of screens and more about the kind of screens. It currently has almost no PLF screens. A relaunch is IMAX (with full showings, not splitting with any other film) would make a notice or difference. Same if they added back Dolby and others. 

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

If i take away my dino-fan-glasses, i see a 4/10 movie if i look at Dominion and thats generous. The editing is horrific at times, the dialogue was seemingly written in one day without further re-writes and the locust plot - while i totally get Trevorrows intention here - was a mistake in my opinion. People dont pay their dino dollars for locusts.

Still, its a 9/10 movie, it has dinosaurs, Alan Grant, Ian Malcolm and Ellie Sattler in it. Yeah, its close to a Masterpiece.

Listen, ive seen it 16 times in theaters. That so much money i could have spent in a bit more logical way. I need to justify all this. Dominion = Great movie.

Btw, in all honesty, i really like the movie but i can see its massive flaws, so i can understand anyone who hates it.

16 times my guy? 

cover2.jpg

and for a pile of shit at that?

shit-crap.gif

• Haha 1

Unless my math is off, that's about a 25% increase for minions. Doesn't that seem kind of soft for an animated movie? I guess maybe it really is lending to the theory that families are not completely back at the box office yet.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

it is less about the number of screens and more about the kind of screens. It currently has almost no PLF screens. A relaunch is IMAX (with full showings, not splitting with any other film) would make a notice or difference. Same if they added back Dolby and others. 

There actually is a Jaws release in IMAX slated for 9/2 (and ET for 8/12). But for the 8/19 and 8/26 weekends, the calendar is open - those dates should go to TGM, if not in full, then at least some showings. The Dolby and other PLF's can do whatever they want after Bullet Train, so I'm fully expecting a large PLF re-release in mid-August, a la Dune in early December.

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Looks like better Sat increases compared to last week. Makes me hope for 5M for TGM. If that happens looking at ~12.2+ (-21%). 5.1+ would mean that it can try for the 3rd best 8th weekend in history. 

With the few figures reported, daily numbers look to be following the pattern of the 6/26 weekend. Expecting TGM, JWD and Elivis to all be at least +40% from Fri. Not sure if TGM gets all the way to $5, but very close, a $12M weekend in range

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

There actually is a Jaws release in IMAX slated for 9/2 (and ET for 8/12). But for the 8/19 and 8/26 weekends, the calendar is open - those dates should go to TGM, if not in full, then at least some showings. The Dolby and other PLF's can do whatever they want after Bullet Train, so I'm fully expected a large PLF re-release in mid-August, a la Dune in early December.

Funny enough, jaws and ET are my number one and number two ranked movies of all time. I've seen Jaws literally 1500 times or more, ET probably only 20 LOL and I am definitely going to find an IMAX theater or whatever screens they are playing on for that weekend and go sit my ass down with a giant tub of popcorn and enjoy my two favorite movies.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Funny enough, jaws and ET are my number one and number two ranked movies of all time. I've seen Jaws literally 1500 times or more, ET probably only 20 LOL and I am definitely going to find an IMAX theater or whatever screens they are playing on for that weekend and go sit my ass down with a giant tub of popcorn and enjoy my two favorite movies.

1500 times? U could watch 1500 different movies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Someone save @Brainbug. Watching Dominion 16 times is a scream for help. The movie is helding his dog hostage.

I have no dog actually. I do have 2 cats though.

Meaning, ive already been held hostage for years now. Anyone who has cats knows this feeling. Im nothing but a servant for them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've actually only seen my current obsession in full about 5 times now, but I did see a lot of youtube videos reacting to it.

If it was in theaters I might have seen it 10 times though... depending on when I ran out of money. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think I could watch Dominion again

Spoiler

the locusts were so repulsive I had to turn away to stop myself from throwing up.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but I'll play it safe.

Edited by lab276