Issac Newton

Weekend - 07/29-07/31 | Super Pets 23M

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Better than The Great Gatsby!!!  It's official Austin>>Leo

Elvis >Leo. 

but now they can push a new movie star in Austin Butler. 

Dune 2 is packed with them: Timothee, Austin, Zendaya and Florence Pugh. 
We shall see if that gets a higher box office.

Edited by babz06

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

Elvis >Leo. jK 

Yes. I'm team Austin. He's a good actor and more attractive than Chalamet.   *hides from eric*

10 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Elvis >Leo. 

You guys use the word movie star so easily. Austin Butler and Florence Pugh are movie stars?. Pretty sure 99% of americans on the street would say "uh" if you ask them who are these two people.

Timothee and Zendaya  at least are big teen sensations. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 3

Just now, vale9001 said:

Timothee and Zendaya definitely at least are teen sensations. 

I agree with your take on Timothee and Zendays, but With Elvis, Austin just became a star for the adult movie going public.

I honestly think the opening for Super Pets is fine. It’s about $7m more than I thought it would do. It’ll be headed to $80m+ domestic. 

Excellent for Top Gun, Crawdads and Elvis. My Mum & her sisters went to see Crawdads on my recommendation and they all loved it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I agree with your take on Timothee and Zendays, but With Elvis, Austin just became a star for the adult movie going public.

I don't know. Older audiences are  difficult from this point of view and he's portraiting Elvis in a kind of very imitative way. I don't know if  they can already recognize his name or face after a role like that. 

It's definitely a breakout role but it's too early to call him a movie star. This role makes him a rising star to watch out in the next years to see if he can became a star. In my opinion. An Oscar winning at this very young age for a man surely would help this process a lot. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

It is a pity that superpets didn’t manage to capitalise on the lack of animation in the marketplace now. Worse part is, why are lightyear and paws of fury collapse like they are facing some MInion2 scale opener? And neither marcel on the shoes managed to stand out. 

And because of the lack of new major opener, this weekend aggregate gross will likely fall short of 100m after going above 100m after 9 weekends. Another pity case to close out July. 

Also to highlight, this weekend is the first weekend that china has a bigger weekend than domestic since FebruarySo the race between two markets still looking tight.

24 minutes ago, Eric the Superdog said:

MV5BMTg0NzkyMjE5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE5

Reveal hidden contents

Just realized that I am probably the first person to even mention this movie since 2017 lol 🙃 

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Butler going from Disney/Nick/Freeform actor to Oscar nominee is quite the narrative 

I still remember looking up Austin Butler after seeing Once Upon, because his name sounded familiar, and laughing my ass off when I learned his whole career prior was “the cute boyfriend” on every Nick/Disney Channel sitcoms I watched as a kid. Praying this means  Papa Nolan gives Josh Peck the gold he deserves 🙏 

44 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

You guys use the word movie star so easily. Austin Butler and Florence Pugh are movie stars?. Pretty sure 99% of americans on the street would say "uh" if you ask them who are these two people.

Timothee and Zendaya  at least are big teen sensations. 

I said that’s who Hollywood is pushing to be the newer movie stars. Whether they will catch on with the movie going public is anyone’s guess. It Austin does get the Oscar nomination that will catapult him into more lead roles. I forgot to add that Rachel Ziegler is another one they are trying to push ( she got like three lead roles out of nowhere) 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruel Summer said:

Good for Austin Butler, he was great as Elvis

Lol at Nope, it'll barely make 100m 

This is actually a really good hold. It's going to cruise past 100 quite easily.

• Like 3

TGM may eke past E.T. but probably falls shy of Frozen for 3rd biggest 10th weekend. Incredible hold, though. Next week should be the last meaningful hurdle for the remainder of its run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

Elvis >Leo. 

LOL What? 

None of these are stars. 

Chalamet has not  been a draw in any of the movies he starred as a lead in. On the contrary, his "Beautiful boy" flopped earning 15 M on a 20 M budget, "A rainy day in New York" was one of the poorest performing Woody Allen's movie in Europe and Worldwide, "The French dispatch" was an unusual misfire for Wes Anderson's standard, while "The King" performed badly even on streaming.   His only "success" as a lead post- CMBYN so far has been Dune, and I'm sure that it has more to do with the built-in fanbase than with his star appeal. 

Florence Pugh is another master of the quiet flops. None of the movies she has been the lead of were successful at the B.O., bar "Little Women", and I'm pretty sure that was Saoirse Ronan doing the heavy lifting. 

Austin butler is a nobody and Elvis is only performing well in USA, no one saw this movie internationally.

Zendaya is actually well-known because of Spider-man and Euphoria, but her fanbase is mostly teenagers, it's unlikely anyone over 40 know who she is.

Being popular on film twitter or reddit/movies does not make anyone a star.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

LOL What? 

None of these are stars. 

Chalamet has not  been a draw in any of the movies he starred as a lead in. On the contrary, his "Beautiful boy" flopped earning 15 M on a 20 M budget, "A rainy day in New York" was one of the poorest performing Woody Allen's movie in Europe and Worldwide, "The French dispatch" was an unusual misfire for Wes Anderson's standard, while "The King" performed badly even on streaming.   His only "success" as a lead post- CMBYN so far has been Dune, and I'm sure that it has more to do with the built-in fanbase than with his star appeal. 

Florence Pugh is another master of the quiet flops. None of the movies she has been the lead of were successful at the B.O., bar "Little Women", and I'm pretty sure that was Saoirse Ronan doing the heavy lifting. 

Austin butler is a nobody and Elvis is only performing well in USA, no one saw this movie internationally.

Zendaya is actually well-known because of Spider-man and Euphoria, but her fanbase is mostly teenagers, it's unlikely anyone over 40 know who she is.

Being popular on film twitter or reddit/movies does not make anyone a star.

The fact the Us box office has the biggest percentage in the total doesn't mean nobody is watching Elvis internationally. The movie will make 120-130m OS. That's really good for any drama movie even before pandemic. 

12 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Wow so people under 40 catapulted NWH to almost 1.9B all by themselves? 

• ...wtf 2