setna

Weekdays 08-16 /08-19

2 hours ago, M37 said:

All of this true, but also ignores how the market has shifted to a large degree to streaming, particularly with adult dramas and comedies, which are much cheaper to produce for platforms looking to fill/add content, reducing the demand for theatrical openings. Audiences are getting those itches scratches elsewhere 

Comedy in particular has fallen off a cliff after 2015 (the last time Apatow had an opening over $15M) - is it not unreasonable to expect Bros to be more in the Tag/Blockers/Game Night range, with additional post-pandemic depreciation, rather than recreating success that hasn’t been seen in 7 years, for any film (the highest grossing comedy since 2016 is Good Boys at $89M)

And the biggest market decline post-pandemic has been in adult dramas, where the last 18 months are littered with sub $15M openings, like for example Death on the Nile’s $13M following up Orient Express’s opening to $28M in before times 

None of this is an indirect criticism of the potential quality of these releases, only the shift in where and when audiences are choosing to consume them. Maybe an under $20M bar is more apt than $15M … but recent history heavily suggests lowering the expectations 

This summer alone has completely dispelled the notion of the non-tentpole being dead at the multiplex given that some of its biggest success stories are non-franchise films, so if any of these movies fail to launch, that excuse isn't really going to fly.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Girls Trip, Crazy Rich Asians, Knives Out...

Fair, I did miss Girls Trip on the list, just ahead of Bad Moms from 2016 - both extremely skewed towards an undeserved female audience. While Knives Out has comedy mixed in, it’s primarily a murder mystery, like calling action heavy Central Intelligence or Bullet Train a comedy

And CRA is not in the same sub-genre as the hard-R titles like Hangover, Apatow films, Blockers, etc - where the content limits the audience pool, and has seen the drop-off

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This summer alone has completely dispelled the notion of the non-tentpole being dead at the multiplex given that some of its biggest success stories are non-franchise films, so if any of these movies fail to launch, that excuse isn't really going to fly.

I didn’t say non-tentpole, I sinlged out comedies and adult dramas genres specifically. So im not sure how a biopic (Elvis), a film based on a book (Crawdads), a horror movie (Black Phone, Nope) an animated movie (Minions), and an action film (Bullet Train) would refute that 

19 minutes ago, M37 said:

I didn’t say non-tentpole, I sinlged out comedies and adult dramas genres specifically. So im not sure how a biopic (Elvis), a film based on a book (Crawdads), a horror movie (Black Phone, Nope) an animated movie (Minions), and an action film (Bullet Train) would refute that 

The Lost City made over $100M+ earlier this year (yes, it was also an action/adventure but the comedy was arguably the main selling point).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Lost City made over $100M+ earlier this year (yes, it was also an action/adventure but the comedy was arguably the main selling point).

And I’d argue the opposite - it was the action & adventure (the total gross is/will be in same range as similar action but less comedic Uncharted and Bullet Train)

The reality is, if someone is just looking to laugh, there are plenty of cheap (streaming) or even free (social media/internet) content options to scratch that itch, but if you want laughs mixed with someone jumping out of a plane, then theatrical budgets are what can best accommodate it. How much in the red was Netflix with Red Notice?

That bifurcation on ROI, including comedy often not translating well and limiting overseas revenue, is largely why the theatrical pure comedy grosses are way down from the peak. I’m not celebrating this outcome - I miss them! - but also shouldn’t be blind to it 

• ...wtf 1

41 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Those are still adult dramas. I don't even know why you're separating "based on a book" when one of your examples of audlt dramas was Death on the Nile.

My apologies for the imprecise language: “adult drama” is primarily referring to features that lack a strong cultural relevancy and built in fanbase - the subject or the director - and “based on a book” was meant to refer to a 2018 published best-seller of 4.5 million copies - a hot IP - and not a 1937 story on which another title was based. Hope that clears up any confusion on which titles were being group as having limited commercial success as of late 

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

It's opposite for me. But, without Desktop, I can't upload charts on forum.

Interesting. I think I might know why but I don't know if I should say.

1 minute ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

as someone who doesn't have adblock every post has 2 ads after it, some have up to 4

Yeah, that's gotta be the reason.

Edited by poweranimals

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

DBS Previews are taking longer to update.

BTW, I have posted Beasts Previews numbers were posted by me..... But, it seems that Admin has locked the thread (why?)

Thought I unlocked the thread already. Sorry.

• Like 1