YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

Watched Wish earlier today and as someone who was initially pretty excited for this movie, I can’t say that it’s RT score isn’t deserved…

Disney was so focused on using Wish to commemorate their past successes that they forgot the main reason why most of those movies were successful - a compelling story. And a compelling story this does not have. Instead we got a pretty lifeless, formulaic and uninspired movie that just made me wish I was watching one of their actual classics. Very disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I saw it a second time, and I can tell that knowing what weaknesses to expect is going to make it more pleasant for dozens of future rewatches (along with all the other WDAS films). Unfortunately, the experience was ruined by a mentally unstable man shouting obscenities at the screen every 3 minutes. I could tell it was ruining it for the other guy sitting between me and him on the balcony, and for the several families with young children sitting down on the floor. He leaves as soon as the credits start, I think I can at least watch the credits and identify all the characters from the past in peace. But then he comes back and starts yelling at me about his hat being missing, before groping my (male) breast. What a shitty experience for a movie I'd been waiting over a year for! I didn't ask for a refund cause the ticket was free with A-list.

15 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

For those who watched it, is "Once Upon a Studio" actually attached or not? That was the initial plan but after ir was premiered on ABC, there were rumours it wouldn't play in front of Wish.

No short is attached.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 4

2 minutes ago, deniima said:

Watched Wish earlier today and as someone who was initially pretty excited for this movie, I can’t say that it’s RT score isn’t deserved…

Disney was so focused on using Wish to commemorate their past successes that they forgot the main reason why most of those movies were successful - a compelling story. And a compelling story this does not have. Instead we got a pretty lifeless, formulaic and uninspired movie that just made me wish I was watching one of their actual classics. Very disappointed. 

I think there was a lack of a wow factor. Tangled has the kingdom, Ralph the different arcade games, Frozen had the ice magic, Zootopia the animals, Moana the ocean.

This had the BALLS of light.

At least DeBose and Pine are good singers.

Even if Wish movie doesn't make as much money, Asha will be appearing in the Disney parks and her dolls will be making money for Disney decades to come. In the end these movies are made to sell merchandise. Its a bonus if we like the movies too.

• Disbelief 1

The fact the short was originally attached, but then was moved to a television premiere/Disney+ release without a theatrical attachment makes me wonder if Disney knew this film was bad, and the short would only drag the critic and audience scores even lower. They've been heavily advertising it, so I was thinking they felt good about this film, but the move with the short changes my opinion on that.

23 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I think there was a lack of a wow factor. Tangled has the kingdom, Ralph the different arcade games, Frozen had the ice magic, Zootopia the animals, Moana the ocean.

This had the BALLS of light.

At least DeBose and Pine are good singers.

Even if Wish movie doesn't make as much money, Asha will be appearing in the Disney parks and her dolls will be making money for Disney decades to come. In the end these movies are made to sell merchandise. Its a bonus if we like the movies too.

And that last bit right there is everything wrong with Disney right now in a nutshell. As long as execs just look at these as “made to sell merch” we are going to end up with something lackluster. Total BS about it being a “bonus” to like the movies. They’re headed for ruin if that’s their mentality going forward. It’s far from a coincidence the Cars sequels aren’t good and stopped pulling in big box office when made for merch is the reason they got greenlit. 

• Like 7

This was actually better than I thought it would be.I found myself invested throughout, with all the emotional beats landing.Asha turned out to be a surprisingly likable character with some great character animation to go with her.(although not always did the character animation work with this new style on some of the other characters.)The background art turned out really well and some of the songs like “this wish” and “knowing what I know now” worked really well within the context of the plot. If I would have some criticism it would be that some of the dialogue was childish and a lot of the film is the characters going from point A to point B which started getting a little monotonous.So I definitely think it’s better than the reviews make it ought to be-although maybe it’s my inner Disney fan in me talking, but overall I’d recommend.I mean it does lack the sophistication of some other Disney films but if your in the right mindset it works,give it a try.

Edited by Melosh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

And that last bit right there is everything wrong with Disney right now in a nutshell. As long as execs just look at these as “made to sell merch” we are going to end up with something lackluster. Total BS about it being a “bonus” to like the movies. They’re headed for ruin if that’s their mentality going forward. It’s far from a coincidence the Cars sequels aren’t good and stopped pulling in big box office when made for merch is the reason they got greenlit. 

I mean, you could be talking about Illumination right now. The Super Mario Movie, Minions, and Despicable Me 4 aren't "made to sell merch?"

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

CS will be very telling, definitely getting dreaded B- vibes 

dont think something like that is even possible, probably a dreadful b+ instead

what are some high profile kid's movies that have gotten b- or below btw?

I think it’s lucky RT is not showing Trolls right by Wish in the “new and upcoming” part of the homepage, you gotta scroll over a bit for Trolls. If they were right by each other, I think Trolls fresh status would be an even bigger blow for families choosing going into the holiday weekend. 

Watched the movie and I thought Asha was the best part of the movie. She was one of the only characters that I thought had a good character design. Didn't really like the art of the movie that well, but I thought the songs were good. The main character, the cast, everything was there but the writers made the story feel rushed. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people love the film and consider it a classic though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AN9815 said:

I expected Wish to be one of the bright spots of Disney's 2023 calendar. The reviews totally caught me by surprise. In retrospect, The Little Mermaid's $570m WW doesn't look bad now considering all the negativity that movie had to face.

TLM got 300M domestically, that really helps it, it definitely didn't lose money at least, and in the long run it's going to make a good sum of cash overall.

Hopefully this one can do around Elemental numbers at least. And as a side note, my little kid really enjoys many of its songs.