YM!

Weekend Thread | October 7-10th | Smile grins with a powerful $18.5m second weekend (18% drop!), Lyle hums a tune to $11.4m, Amsterdam gets karma'd with $6.4m

1 minute ago, Eric the Crocodile said:

RT Verified Aud. scores as of this morning (note both have less than 50 votes, can change like a dime):

Amsterdam: 63% (KARMA)

Lyle, Lyle Crocodile: 81%

Wow those are bad

Bonkers bad but expected for Amsterdam, a 80M production. 6M OW incoming.

Fuck Lyle tho. I had hopes that could help the box office with a 20M OW or so. Right now I am thinking 13M OW.

36 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Bonkers bad but expected for Amsterdam, a 80M production. 6M OW incoming.

Fuck Lyle tho. I had hopes that could help the box office with a 20M OW or so. Right now I am thinking 13M OW.

Lyle was doomed the minute theater prices kept going up and no discount was offered.

Subscribers aren't gonna float Lyle (unlike the rest of the adult fare), so you need to bring in GA...and it's not good enough or exciting enough to get families of 4 to now drop about $50-60 just on tickets...before popcorn and soda.

I told my spouse it would be $75 for us to go...after I told him a box of the smallest multi-serving Lucky Charms is now $5.99 reg price.  He thought we could happily pass on the $75 and watch it (in his words) "on Peacock in 2 days or whatever streaming service it will be on"...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

So like I get why all these actors and producers signed on to Amsterdam. David O. Russell still has his Oscars goodwill and frankly these rich celebs would happily sign a deal with Satan if they could. But I can't understand for the life of me why any executive greenlit something that was destined to fail. I get that nobody sets out to make a bad movie and I'm sure the script or pitch was really interesting. But like...those Disney/Fox/New Regency execs had to have known this would be a PR disaster.

#MeToo has been around for ages and DOR was a big name thrown around during the beginning of the movement. This is a film that is aimed towards an audience that will be more aware of these scandals and there's going to be tons of articles about Russell's sketchy past from publications that Amsterdam's main audience likely enjoy reading. Even if Amsterdam was Citizen Kane-level good, that's awful press that people will not feel comfortable with supporting.

At least with something like The Flash, it was greenlit before Ezra's stuff became mainstream, it's based on a super popular brand and has Keaton nostalgia that will make people want to ignore Ezra's behavior. This has to be the most baffling greenlighting in years.

6 minutes ago, Eric the Crocodile said:

So like I get why all these actors and producers signed on to Amsterdam. David O. Russell still has his Oscars goodwill and frankly these rich celebs would happily sign a deal with Satan if they could. But I can't understand for the life of me why any executive greenlit something that was destined to fail. I get that nobody sets out to make a bad movie and I'm sure the script or pitch was really interesting. But like...those Disney/Fox/New Regency execs had to have known this would be a PR disaster.

#MeToo has been around for ages and DOR was a big name thrown around during the beginning of the movement. This is a film that is aimed towards an audience that will be more aware of these scandals and there's going to be tons of articles about Russell's sketchy past from publications that Amsterdam's main audience likely enjoy reading. Even if Amsterdam was Citizen Kane-level good, that's awful press that people will not feel comfortable with supporting.

At least with something like The Flash, it was greenlit before Ezra's stuff became mainstream, it's based on a super popular brand and has Keaton nostalgia that will make people want to ignore Ezra's behavior. This has to be the most baffling greenlighting in years.

I dont necessarily agree with all of this, bc I feel like DOR is one of the only people that made 3 adult box office critically raved and audience liked hits in a row that im sure makes actors salivate over. I'm sure this looked like a hit on the page. But I get what u are saying 

My thing is is that if I were the producers or actors (specifically Bale since he's a producer), I would have swallowed my pride and sent this off to Netflix or Hulu. Yes hindsight, but they had a year of failed test screenings where they knew this was gonna eat shit critically and likely not be an audience hit either. And most importantly, the budget is so overblown that there is literally not a single reality where this becomes a hit with the finished product. Don't Worry Darling has similar reviews but that at least has a budget less than half of this. The writeups on Sunday for this are gonna be embarrassing 

11 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I dont necessarily agree with all of this, bc I feel like DOR is one of the only people that made 3 adult box office critically raved and audience liked hits in a row that im sure makes actors salivate over. I'm sure this looked like a hit on the page. But I get what u are saying 

Yeah, if there was no baggage to DOR, I would still get the greenlighting for this off of Fighter/Playbook/Hustle, even if they are a decade old by now (that's weird to say lol) and movies like this don't make the big bucks they used to. But those movies and this are aimed at people like my mom. People who like seeing the movies that look like they will win Oscars, listen to NPR, read New York Times, etc. And whether it be they already know or will hear about it in the news, they will be way less invested in seeing the film because of Russell, regardless of quality. So why make a movie that has no audience behind it? At the very least, just dump it on Hulu, so people can use the excuse of "well, I'm not really paying and supporting an abuser. It just comes with my subscription. I can't help it."

• Like 1